Scholarly resources

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Valentinian, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

The internet is wonderful. I just got this tiny Greek fraction:
    It is only 6-5 mm and 0.255 grams.
    CiliciaObolOTroxel12o.jpeg CiliciaObolRTroxel12R.jpeg
    We have frequently noted the remarkable detail on Greek fractions. Remember, the image here is greatly enlarged.
    But, what is a reference for it? I have a good library with the usual reference works relevant to Greek fractions, but they did not have this type. By the way, here is a list of some good reference works:
    http://esty.ancients.info/catalogs/Greekfractions.html
    I will upadate it when I find the time. The seller had the reference "Troxel-Kagan 12". But, what is that? Well, I googled "Troxel Kagan" and found this:
    Troxell, H. A. and J. H. Kagin. “Cilicians and Neighbors in Miniature” in Kraay-Mørkholm Essays.
    in the very first link. Then I copied the exact title and searched for it (in quotes). I found the article on Academia.edu
    https://www.academia.edu/9867389/Cilicians_and_Neighbors_in_Miniature
    If you have a scholarly interest and don't know about Academia.edu, you should. They allow members to upload papers and categorize them (say, "ancient numismatics") and anyone to find them. Join (be an "independent researcher" if you are not associated with a university), and you can even get weekly notifications of new posting in the areas you want to follow.
    Anyway, I downloaded the article and printed it. (I prefer paper to reading on screens.) The type is illustrated there as type 12, as the seller noted.
    So, I found and got a copy of a pretty obscure reference work in a few minutes! The internet is amazing!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

That's a very cool Running King (congrats)

4. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

The Google is strong with this one!

TIF and John Anthony like this.
  5. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Love it VAL !!!

It's the first I've noticed with that particular combination....(or recall, unfortunately the same thing LOL).

I'm trying to imagine it in scale WOW!!

6. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

7. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

I second the motion on academia.edu. Full of excellent smarticles.

red_spork and Ancientnoob like this.
  8. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

What an awesome coin!

JSTOR is another wonderful resource. If you ever have issues accessing an article from there PM me. ;)

FitzNigel likes this.
  9. John Anthony

Have you turned your PMing on? I tried sending you a message some time ago and was denied - the forum said I didn't have permission.

10. Whizb4ng

Whizb4ng HIC SVNT DRACONES

This is another one of those 'Whizb4ng is not a smart man' moments. Through work I have access to all of these journals, including JSTOR, and I have never taken advantage of it.

11. David Atherton

Oh, I had no idea I had to turn on a notification to receive them. I don't see anywhere in my profile where there is an option to do so. Am I over looking it?

12. John Anthony

I just tried again, as a test, and this is the message I get...

pm.jpg

13. John Anthony

David, mouse over your name on the blue bar at the top and you'll get a pull-down menu. Click on "Privacy" and at the bottom of the next dialogue box, make sure "Start conversations with you - Members Only" is checked. Then click "Save Changes."

David Atherton likes this.
  14. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I see vespasian 70 has options for albums and media which the rest of us don't have. I have no idea what either feature is. Perhaps there are options for CT that most of us don't know. I learned long ago not to ask questions about how things work here. The discussion that finally led to the separate ancients forum was all the CT politics I want to see. I'm not a big follower of forum software so doing simple things like becoming a supporter took a lot more searching than I'm sure it does for people whose hobby is forums. Understanding computers is not always intuitive to me.

When we were on that place that some got booted out of, there was a feature where images we uploaded went into an album which made it easy to post the same photo again or to tell what you had shown before and what you had not. I miss that and always wondered it there was a similar feature here. Is that an album? I don't remember authorizing messages when I joined in 2009 but I don't remember many things of greater importance either. I did little here until the 2013 migration brought in other ancient fans so things done in 2009 were at the very least fuzzy.

15. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

'09? How about yesterday?

16. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Hush! Don't give out the Senior Secrets. When was yesterday?

Bing likes this.
  17. David Atherton

Done. I hadn't realised the option was called 'start conversation'. Thanks John!

18. David Atherton

I joined in 2007 but didn't start posting here until earlier this year. Perhaps the extra features were offered to members in '07?

19. John Anthony

Yes. There was a major forum software upgrade about a year ago.

David Atherton likes this.
  20. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

*edit*

Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
  21. David Atherton

The album and media are separate from the images I post in the forum. I uploaded a few test images into the gallery a while back and haven't done anything with it since.

Draft saved Draft deleted