Scaurus, Hypsaeus denarius - what's wrong with it?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by zumbly, Jul 16, 2018.

1. Andrew McCabe

Andrew McCabe Well-Known Member

422/1a with this different legend arrangement but (usually) no scorpion, is far scarcer than 422/1b with scorpion and the other legend layout. Because of this, those who know the coinage instinctively expect to always see a scorpion. It rings no alarm bells. However this is the no-scorpion type but with scorpion. Interesting that members have unearthed two unpublished variants of just this one coin type today.

Alegandron likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. red_spork

red_spork Triumvir monetalis

Mine is semi-published. A longer discussion and die study of this variety will be published in a paper I co-authored with Richard Schaefer in the forthcoming issue of KOINON later this year. The variety was actually mentioned over 100 years ago by Bahrfeldt though his cited examples were all plated and it hasn't really been revisited since.

It's definitely interesting how many varieties of this type outside of the long list in Crawford seem to exist. I've noted a few more new ones in my notes on the type but I don't have photos on-hand and I haven't exhaustively searched ACSearch and other resources for new legend varieties so I'm sure there are more that I missed.

zumbly likes this.
  4. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I assume you noticed your scorpion is short a pair of legs. Of course my new coin is only a scorpion if you stretch a point way beyond reasonable doubt. That coin really has poor style. I should be embarrassed.

5. Carthago

Carthago Does this look infected to you?

It is one of those types one can upgrade forever due to the differences and the seeming impossibility to get a perfect one. I'm on my 3rd, selling the others as I find a better one for my collection. Here they are from current to first.

M Aemilius Scaurus & P Plautius Hypsaeus 422-1b Jean Elsen 2017.jpg
    M Aemilius Scaurus & P Plautius Hypsaeus 422-1b Harlan Berk 2015.jpg
    M Aemilius Scaurus & P Plautius Hypsaeus 422-1b Badwins 2014.jpg

6. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Latest one is pretty darn near perfect, if you ask me. I don't think I've seen one as complete, and how clear the little details like the camel's saddle are really add to it.

Carthago likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted