Scared to buy raw coins?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by planman2014, Jan 26, 2016.

1. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

I don't doubt you a bit. But as pointed out, your experience level is light years beyond many of us, especially the large number of novices that visit this site.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

I have no problem buying raw coins; even on Ebay. I've gotten a couple problem coins but most of those I just send back. Being afraid to buy raw coins I think really limits not only potential coins from being added to your collection, but also valuable experience in learning to grade and recognize problem coins, etc.

I think relying on slabs only without ever learning for ones self is worse than ending up with a few problem coins in ones collection. Now for expensive key dates, etc I'd probably buy a slabbed coin or at least due some heavy research and verification before purchasing a raw coin type I wasn't familiar with.

Santinidollar and Garry Martin like this.
  4. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

Thank you for the compliment; I'm not sure it's warranted. While I know I have come light years, I still feel like I have light years to go. Here's one wish that will probably be a long time coming. I'd like to see a full blown industry standard develop for short digital movies, like Apple Active Pictures or that other 6-second video format. Then the lustre of coins could be displayed by rocking or rotating them.

Kentucky and Santinidollar like this.
  5. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

There's no real danger in raw coins... their danger comes from the person buying them not being honest with themselves regarding their abilities, be it grading, problem/alteration identification, authenticity, or poor judgment in dealers/sellers. Generally speaking, and with reasonably few exceptions in the popular certified-worthy US market, no collector has to buy raw or from a questionable source, yet they choose to do just that, often because of price or that almighty "deal". If such people would focus more on learning or at least seek out a knowledgeable and trustworthy dealer (or even fellow collector) willing to work with them, the "fear" many seem to have could, for the most part anyway, be easily be avoided.

Mainebill likes this.
  6. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

I only buy raw.

Paul M. likes this.
  7. littlehugger

littlehugger Active Member

Don't know about you, but my poker luck is bad!

Paul M. likes this.
  8. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

I'm very comfortable with buying raw coins, never bought a "slobbed" coin before.

9. 05Wildcats

05Wildcats Well-Known Member

About a year ago I bought a 1955 Double Die Wheat Cent. Very nice coin for $1450 with the guarantee that I could return if not real. Sent to ANACS, came back as counterfeit. Returned to dealer and got a refund plus cost to be graded. This is the only way I would buy an expensive raw coin.

Paul M. likes this.
  10. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

I'll happily buy raw if I can see them. Just looked at a lot of raw coins today including several better date seated halves and a 91-cc $5. I bought none as all had unfortunately been harshly cleaned

11. ThinnPikkins

ThinnPikkins Well-Known Member

If you have a smart phone or an ipad, check out 360 degree videos on youtube. The blue angels video made my stomach turn!. I think this type of video could be a game changer for the coin world in terms of internet sales. You pretty much just tilt your phone and you get to see all the angles.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2016
  12. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

One of the absolute best reasons, IMO, for slabs.

13. Dancing Fire

Dancing Fire Junior Member

Yes, sight seen, but not buying any raw coins from Ebay.

14. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

80% of my collection is raw. However, every one of them is in an airtite. 15% I purchased slabbed but it wasn't conditional to my purchase decision. I would have bought the coin either way. 5% I had slabbed. Once I saw the grades come back, it gave me the confidence to go forward purchasing raw coins. I haven't had any coins TPG graded since my 2009 UHR gold piece. It was a MS70 and I wanted a First Strike on it. I was able to sell it at the price I wanted. I now buy at shows exclusively, except for two mint products that are produced annually.

Paul M. likes this.
  15. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

I buy lower priced (double digits or less) raw coins frequently — including online — and have yet to be burned. I just try to apply common sense:
    • Stay in my comfort zone knowledge-wise
    • Insist on good quality photos
    • Avoid rare and/or key date issues
    • Don't be tempted by bargains (there's always a reason, even if the pictures don't reveal it)

Paul M. likes this.
  16. okbustchaser

okbustchaser I may be old but I still appreciate a pretty bust Supporter

My oh my, how did coins EVER stay safe during the 3000 years that they were collected prior to slabbing?

As for my heirs I really couldn't care less what they sell my collection for. I collect for MY benefit, not theirs, and by the time they get it I will be long gone.

Draft saved Draft deleted