Scarce toned 1850c $5 gold

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Jon Brand, Jun 6, 2018.

1. charlottedude

charlottedude Novice Collector

I do like the coin. The toning looks interesting... perhaps naturally acquired from leather pouch storage. I’ve seen and owned a number with that coloration and toning pattern. And while the mintmark is weak, it’s still Charlotte mint product.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. coin_nut

coin_nut Well-Known Member

I fail to understand how a "noble metal" such as gold, which is supposedly impervious to tarnish and other chemical action, can acquire toning. Can someone please comment?

4. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

It's only 90% gold and 10% copper, so perhaps the other part of the alloy causes the toning.
    There are some chemistry experts that can explain.

5. dcarr

dcarr Mint-Master

Yes, many "old-gold aficionados" do like that type of toning.
    I think they are somewhat misguided. They are certainly free to choose whatever they like. And while I find the coin shown in this thread to be attractive myself, I believe that the only way such toning can form is from exposure to significant heat (followed by some light circulation wear).

calcol and Pickin and Grinin like this.
  6. calcol

calcol Supporter! Supporter

By "significant heat", I'm assuming you mean deliberately applied heat?

Cal

7. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I am not DCarr but I say under normal circumstance.

8. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

"Impervious" is a mischaracterization. Along with gold, all noble metals are reactive but far less so than base metals are.

calcol likes this.
  9. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

Good . . . Very good.

10. Jon Brand

Jon Brand Well-Known Member

In my humble opinion i think if heat colored the stars amd maybe rims would be colored as well? I want to anything I can lean so thats why I like the different opinions and honesty. I like the coin and wont be hurt.

11. charlottedude

Ditto.

12. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Well - I like the coin. A little darker than I like, but very acceptable to me.

13. Mike at APMEX

Mike at APMEX Member

Just a quick comment ......... gold coins acquire that purple/burgundy/dark red toning from long term storage in an old leather wallet or coin purse. Gold doesn't tone easily like silver does but when it does it is often like this Charlotte Gold Coin. Most people either love it or hate it. I like the originality myself.

ToughCOINS and Mainebill like this.
  14. charlottedude

Exactly.... I used to own one particular Charlotte Quarter Eagle that had the same look and coloration. It was PCGS-graded and later on approved by CAC. Keeping in mind that many folks kept their coins in pouches "back in the day"... tailoring was crude at best, pockets had holes, and losing a $5 or even $2 1/2 coin could have a major impact on one's day back then. Long-term storage in a leather pouch will eventually affect gold, particularly gold with a little silver & copper mixed in.

15. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Oldhoopster likes this.
  16. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

I tried a leather experiment for a few years. Picked out a few nice $2 12 Indians, stored them sandwiched between leather in the window seal for a few years.... and nothing. If leather does the trick, it is LONG term.

17. dcarr

dcarr Mint-Master

Not necessarily. A coin could have been in a house fire, for example. Subsequent circulation would lighten up the high points and rims.

18. Mike at APMEX

Mike at APMEX Member

It DEFINITELY is a long term process. Also the wallets were warm and perhaps a bit wet being so close to the skin.

jwitten likes this.
  19. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Whether a factor or not, tanning of leather did make a big change in approximately the 1840s by using chromium based chemicals as an important factor in the process after using dog excrement and even human urine and sewer sludge , all containing various chemical components.

jwitten likes this.
  20. calcol

calcol Supporter! Supporter

Kinda makes ya long for the good ole days! :yack:

Cal

21. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

One of my favorite coins graded "environmental damage" at pcgs. Not artificially toned. I wonder if they think it was a fire coin.
    TonedGoldCoin1901sblack.jpg

Jon Brand likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted