Scarce reverse type?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Paul M., Apr 5, 2016.

1. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Here is my latest acquisition, with the seller's pictures and attribution (which seems to be correct):

[​IMG]
    Marcus Aurelius (161-180 AD) for Divus Antoninus Pius. AR Denarius (2.91 g), after 161, Rome.
    Obv. DIVS ANTONINVS Bare-headed and draped bust right.
    Rev. CONSECRATIO, Eagle standing right on globe.
    RIC M. Aurelius 433.
    Scarce reverse type: only 21 specimens in Reka Devnia hoard.

This coin spoke to me as I'm starting to become interested in 2nd century posthumous issues (particularly denarii). I'm curious about the "scarce reverse type" statement, though. What say you CT? :) I can't find any information about this coin anywhere, other than its catalog number. And, while there are several eagle-reverse posthumous Antoninus Pius coins on VCoins, this one is the only one with the eagle on a globe.

Also, feel free to post your 2nd century posthumous issue coins! :)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Nice coin. Here is mine.
    apius combined.jpg

4. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Nice! You definitely see these less often than the other posthumous eagle types. A-Pi had quite a variety of different consecration issues. Orfew posted the altar, here's mine with the pyre, occasionally known in these parts as the 'birthday cake' variety.

upload_2016-4-6_15-32-7.png

I don't have a posthumous Marcus Aurelius issue yet, but here's a posthumous Lucius Verus with eagle reverse.

upload_2016-4-6_15-35-37.png

5. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Terrific posts guys!!!

Hmm, I only seem to have a posthumous issue of Fausta and Verus during the 2nd century but I 'deleted' the photos:oops::(

6. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

I can't comment on the bird on globe reverse but it strikes me as a message asserting Rome's dominance over the world. I don't know if that's the message it meant to convey. But here's a provincial with a similar reverse:
    [​IMG]
    Marcianopolis, Caracalla, AD 198-217
    AE27, 10.2g, 6h.
    Obv.: ΠIOC AVΓ ANTΩNINOC; Laureate head right, seen from behind.
    Rev.: YΠ KYNTIΛIANOY MAPKIANOΠOΛITΩN (Quintillianus magistrate); Eagle standing left on globe, head right, holding wreath.

7. Paul M.

Yeah! Offhand, besides the eagle on globe reverse, I've seen plain eagle, eagle on altar, birthday cake, square altar with double doors, column and statue of Antoninus Pius (another rare one), and maybe one or two others(?). Birthday cake seems to be one of the more common ones, but I like it a lot, too. :)

panzerman and Mikey Zee like this.
  8. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

@Paul M. I like the thread. I dont own any ancients, but I like the thought. A bunch of folks helping out, to answer questions that they might have had themselves.

9. Paul M.

I have the coin in hand now, all the way from Switzerland. :) It's actually much better in person. The surface issues apparent on the reverse are not nearly so prominent as they appear in the image, and the bird is quite a lot better looking.

On a related note, I need a copy of the RD Hoard book. And, I suppose I should practice my French, too, lol. :)

Mikey Zee and zumbly like this.
  10. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

Not been around here much. I have a few coins relevant to this thread.

Two are the same types as zumbly above...

Antoninus Pius denarius

Obv:- DIVVS ANTONINVS, bare head right, drapery on far shoulder
    Rev:- CONSECRATIO, four tiered funeral pyre surmounted by quadriga
    Minted in Rome. A.D. 161
    Reference(s) – RIC III (Aurelius) 438, RSC 164a, BMC 60. RD (164 examples)

[​IMG]

Marcus Aurelius denarius

Obv:– DIVVS M ANTONINVS PIVS, Bare head right
    Rev:– CONSECRATIO, Eagle right, wings spread, head left, standing on globe
    Minted in Rome. Dec. A.D. 180
    Reference(s) – Cohen 91 (3f.), RIC III (Commodus) 273, BMCRE.20 pl. 91/8 (Commodus). MIR.18/481 -4/10. RD (54 examples)

[​IMG]

Lucius Verus denarius

Obv:– DIVVS VERVS, bare head right
    Rev:– CONSECRATIO, eagle standing right, head left
    Minted in Rome. A.D. 169
    Reference(s) – RIC III (Maucus Aurelius) 596a. RSC 55. RD (48 examples)

[​IMG]

zumbly, Bing, Paul M. and 3 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted