Scarce Domitian Tetradrachm & 12 Caesars Tray

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Mat, Jun 7, 2018.

1. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

I recently picked up this Domitian Tetradrachm at a fairly good price and was more surprised it came with a tag from VC dealer David L. Tranbarger Rare Coins, which was actually a coin I had on my want list but it ended up getting sold.

So this was nice surprise that it was once a want list coin, sold, and now I get it after all.

I did part with my nice Domitian Denarius to afford this, but I have no regrets.

[​IMG]
    Domitian (81 - 96 A.D.)
    SYRIA, Seleucis and Pieria. Antioch
    AR Tetradrachm
    O: AVT KAISAR DOMITIANOS SEB GERM, laureate head right; aegis at point of bust.
    R: ETOUS NEOV IEROV H, eagle standing facing right on thunderbolt; palm in right field. RY 8 (88/9 AD)
    14.77g
    26mm
    Prieur 145; RPC II 1978; Wruck 108

Also included is a new 12 caesars tray featuring the new tetradrachm.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

That is a really nice addition, Mat. Love that old cabinet toning :).

4. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

A lovely addition to your collection. It has a nice portrait and a great reverse.

5. TIF

TIF Always learning.

It's beautiful, Mat.

6. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

Sweet tet @Mat!

Here's my favorite big Domitian coin...

[​IMG]

7. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Great looking coin, and nice set of 12 caesars. Congrats.

8. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

A very sweet tet Mat!

9. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Feeling Napoleonic, were you? I like the new avatar. Also like the new Domitian tet very much. That and your Galba and the JC elephant denarius are my faves in your 12C montage. (And in terms of eye appeal alone, this new Domitian is my favorite out of all of those.)

I also like the story of how "the one that got away" sometimes ends up in the net after all. I've had that sort of thing happen once or twice over the years.

10. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I like the new Domitian. Your new set photo suggests you might want to try for a 12 Caesars Provincials set. That would be different. Many of us have a Provincial or two in our sets and feel the need to apologize for the fact that we don't have the denarius or act like it is our fault that Otho did not issue sestertii. A set entirely of Provincials would be different. To make it more challenging, you might want to limit the number of Alexandrians used or make a rule that no more than one can be from one city. I believe Vitellius might be the hardest one unless you find the inexpensive Koinon of Macedonia issue.

'One per' set builders might also consider seeing how many emperors/family members they can assemble in Provincial coins. There are some that don't come in Provincial and a few that are much more rare that way but the result could be a really killer set of coins especially if you held to the limit of one per city (for those who like artificial rules that make things difficult). I can not recall ever seeing anyone working on such a collection.

11. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

I like the "Provincial 12C" idea. Who knows, if I ever go down that road again, I might play it with that little twist.

12. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

Great tet @Mat in very fine style! Interesting to note, it actually may have been engraved and/or struck in Alexandria.

13. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

VERY nice Tet @Mat ! Great job! I am an Eagle fan, so I naturally love the reverse.

As to you Domitian TET?... Q would be proud!
    upload_2018-6-8_8-3-24.png

My Domitian DENARIUS:
    upload_2018-6-8_8-4-11.png
    RI Domitian AR Denarius 81-96 CE Minerva spear shield COS XVI CENS PPP 22nd Imperial acclamation minted Sept 93-Sept 94 RIC 761

14. TheRed

TheRed Well-Known Member

While your Domitian Denarius was a great coin @Mat and I regret not jumping on it, I love your Domitian tet, especially the reverse. It had a wonderful eye appeal and tone.

15. nicholasz219

nicholasz219 Well-Known Member

@Mat what an amazing coin! I’m a stickler for legends and yours are pretty much unbeatable. I don’t know if I have ever seen clearer legends on a Provincial. It is also strange to see KAISAP instead of the later “KAICAP” that I see on Severan issues. Not to mention that the portrait and eagle are both fantastic. I’m not sure why it worked out for you this way but glad this coin made it into your collection.

Draft saved Draft deleted