Scarce Bust Type Caracalla Ant.

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Mat, Jul 9, 2020.

1. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

That’s neat. It seems like Caracalla denarius are rather more common than the ant. Is that a fact or just an observation?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cmezner

cmezner do ut des Supporter

always understood "Half from behind" as the viewer at 45 degrees to the back so that one can see the far side, and the neck is somehow tilted. On your coin I can see the draping on the left back side of Caracalla and the neck is not straight. I may be wrong, and I also think that there are descriptions were one could say half from behind and it is not said. Maybe it just depends who made the description:cool:

DonnaML likes this.
  4. hotwheelsearl

No ant here, but always love to show off my lovely denarius.
    Caracalla RIC 312d.jpeg

Limes, Johndakerftw, octavius and 2 others like this.
  5. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

Thank you. That makes sense to me. Although I'm pretty sure I've also seen similar angles described as "from behind," without the "half." So I suspect you're right that it depends on who's making the description!

cmezner likes this.
  6. DonnaML

I think the denarii are more common, based on my own observations and given that he was the emperor who first introduced the ant ("double denarius"). I don't think it's a coincidence that acsearch lists 14,190 Caracalla denarii, and only 1,523 Caracalla antoniniani.

Sulla80 and hotwheelsearl like this.
  7. El Cazador

El Cazador Well-Known Member

Here they are
    1FD2CDF5-20A9-499F-9BD5-60DA9E9323FA.jpeg
    1993E05B-957D-4B90-9C22-E3C81B5CF95C.jpeg C424847E-4084-4FC4-8F36-18D10A229DB2.jpeg 61B9CCCD-E780-4BD9-8EB6-924ED5068A63.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 18, 2020
  8. hotwheelsearl

9. DonnaML

I have a Caracalla denarius in which he looks just as angry. That's some scowl.

Caracalla - adult.jpg

10. Limes

Limes Well-Known Member

Great coin @Mat! Here's mine:

30.2.png

Draft saved Draft deleted