Scanner or Camera or Both ?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Hookman, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Hookman

Hookman Well-Known Member

What equipment or device do most of you use to take pix of your coins?
    Any recommendations for a particular camera or scanner set up?
    Any advice that would help me get pix of my coins on would be very much appreciated!

All I have right now is a magnifying glass and a cell phone. I don't think they will work well together.....lol
    Thanks

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Scanners are nearly useless for coin pictures. They just cannot capture the luster of a coin.

A magnifying glass is not necessary for pictures - most cell phones these days take perfectly adequate pictures. Three tips: hold it steady, make sure there is enough (but not too much) light, and select "macro" mode. If your phone has options, look for macro mode (it is sometimes depicted by a "flower" icon). The macro mode will take better coin pictures.

If you want to post pictures here and get opinions on a coin, do not be discouraged - you may have to take 10 or 20 pictures before you get a good one. You want it to be well lit, but most of all it needs to be in focus. If it looks a little blurry to you, it will look really blurry to us on our computer screens. You know what you are looking at, but we don't!

Burton Strauss III likes this.
  4. Hookman

Hookman Well-Known Member

Thanks for that very rapid reply and the info that came with it.
    I will start experimenting with my cell right away.

Draft saved Draft deleted