SCANDAL: The true size of Sallent's collection

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Sallent, Sep 14, 2018.

1. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

"This is reporter Jake Tapdancer of the Coin News Network. Today's story: Sallent claims he owns 140+ coins, yet he seldom shows any pictures other than seller pictures. Makes you wonder what he is trying to hide. Why no personal photos of the coins he owns? Our secret sources, which we didn't just invent, claim Sallent owns far less coins than what he says. Although here at Coin News Network we claim to be fair and impartial, I, Jake Tapdancer say that Sallent is guilty of fake coin news."

Breaking News: "Welcome back to the studio, this is reporter Wolf Snow Blitzard reporting. We learned that a paparazzi managed to get a photo of Sallent's collection this afternoon as Sallent was reorganizing it and putting his coins in newly labeled paper envelopes. We warn our viewers that this is a disturbing image. Here is the photo:"

IMG_20180914_184706.jpg

"There you have it folks. This does not look anywhere close to the 140+ coins he claims to have. And now we turn to our expert for comments.

--- Thank you Snow Blitzard, this is expert John Lyington. Clearly the image reveals that Sallent only has 25 or 30 coins at most. An investigation will need to be launched, and if I were Sallent, I don't know if I'd ever show my face around cointalk again."

Cut to commerical breaks --- A comercial for slabbed NGC gold bullion selling at inflated prices fills your TV screen. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Sallent

Uhm, let's keep the comments to the fictional story. No conversation about anything in real life, please.

4. Sallent

There is another motive why I pulled my coins out, I'm going to see if I can pick out 3 or 4 to send to @Severus Alexander to help him with his new venture as an auctioneer. I'll be honest, I wasn't planning on selling anything, but I've gotta help my fellow coin friend, and who knows, maybe I end up buying an interesting coin or two with the proceeds.

5. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

I’m glad to see several Chinese washers :)

Severus Alexander and Sallent like this.
  6. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

This just in from an interview with a top politician, ..."Those 140 coins don't exists. That's a number inflated by the opposing political party."
    News reporter, "There they are, sir. Just count them up."
    Top politician, "People that can count that high are the unsung heroes of this great nation."
    Reporter, "Sir, are you saying that you are denying a basic fact, calling Sallent a liar and admitting that you cannot count that high???"
    Politician, "This interview is over! Fake news!! Where's my spray tan!?!"

7. dadams

dadams Well-Known Member

Douglas Fibalots here loudly requesting this @Sallent fellow be run out of town - clearly that's not a very good photo. We need fact checkers here Mr. Blitzard! In fact, I have proof Mr. Fake News Sallent can't have as many coins as he says since he's been selling 'em off left and right to buy Space Stuff and Roaches YUK! -

L◕ ◡ ◕K !!!! this one below was once his
    [​IMG]
    ISLAMIC, Umayyad Caliphate. temp. Hisham ibn 'Abd al-Malik. AH 105-125 / AD 724-743.

AR Dirham, Wasit mint. Dated AH 122 (AD 739/40).
    Obv.: Kalima in three lines across field; mint and date in outer margin; five annulets in outer border.
    Rev.: "Umayyad Symbol" (Sura 112) in four lines across field; "Second Symbol" (Sura 9.33) in outer margin; five annulets in outer border.
    26 mm, 2.92 g, 8h
    Reference: Klat 715; Album 137; ICV 297.
    Ex. CNG 380 lot 547
    Ex. Sallent Collection

No way he has that many . . .

:yack: :D

8. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Ps, you should definitely sell that JC Denarius. On an unrelated note, where is this sale of @Severus Alexander going to be?

ominus1 likes this.
  9. Sallent

@dadams I have sold off a lot of coins, haven't I? At least 10 coins this year at last count. The problem is that I buy them at a much higher rate than anything I sell...which is not a bad problem to have.

@Ryro, the auction is going to be on a website. Ask him for the link. And as far as that Julius Caesar goes, fat chance. That puppy ain`t goin anywhere. I'm probably going to send 2-3 provincials and a Chinese coin, and use any proceeds from that to buy some Pre-Roman Greek coinage.

dadams and Ryro like this.
  10. Milesofwho

Milesofwho Omnivorous collector

Hey, that’s more than I have. I guess that’s what you can afford when you actually have an income.
    The link should be in his signature.

11. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Size does not matter........Only the ability of satisfaction......

12. Sallent

Size does matter. You can't claim to have a collection if you only have a single coin. However, you are right. The ultimate size of the collection is it relevant in comparison to the satisfaction you get from each individual coin. Personally, I don't think I ever want to go above 250 coins. Whenever I get that high, I think I'll just start consolidating and upgrading (ie. upgrading portraits for the rulers I have, selling more common coins to purchase rarer types, etc., and keep the overall number below 250).

13. green18

When did you get those bloody bugs brother?

14. Sallent

The roaches? They are a persistent problem, but I figure out a way to bait them so I can eliminate them. The other day I left a piece of bread out for a few minutes...

IMG_20180910_095539.jpg

when I came back, I had a plate full of roaches that took the bait....:eek::vomit:

IMG_20180910_100542.jpg

Look at all those greedy little Gordian III roaches munching on my bread. What a dreadful sight. Thankfully I had just what I needed to go in for the kill....;)

IMG_20180910_100120.jpg

TJC, Deacon Ray, NLL and 11 others like this.
  15. green18

rofl.gif

16. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

As @Sallent has asked to keep comments to the fictional story I can only state from that paparazzi photo it clearly shows there are holes in his coins and problem his story.

Great presentation Sallent!! :)

17. green18

Holes in the white bread?.......sheesh......

18. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

Man, some of those coins look really blurry. Are those really Sallents coins? Or is that one a state quarter in a antoninianus suit?

[​IMG]

Deacon Ray, Johndakerftw, R*L and 4 others like this.
  19. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Well played, sir. :)

Sallent likes this.
  20. green18

Kripes.....walking away 'forwards'.........

21. Sallent

The paparazzi has a cheap $200 android phone. When you have a family, business expenses, and 3 expensive hobbies (ancient coins, fossil collecting, amateur astronomy), some things have to be of lower priority. Cell phones are a very low priority for me. No Iphone X or the latest Android flagship for me...don't need them, don't want them.

Ryro and chrsmat71 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted