SBA Varieties

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by ewomack, May 1, 2016.

1. ewomack

ewomack 魚の下着

Thanks again everyone for the great replies!

Yes, the variations are not huge, or potentially very interesting, by any means. This page shows the differences for all SBA types: http://www.smalldollars.com/dollar/page29.html

Great information! I haven't seen a 1981-S Type 2 for less than $150 at coin shows or on the web (at least, not yet).

I also agree on the hype about grading, but isn't there also a reality about reselling a slab with a 69 versus a 67? I'm not making a statement, I'm actually asking.

joecoincollect likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

Yes. Ty1 has filled "s" type a readable "s"

joecoincollect and ewomack like this.
  4. World Colonial

World Colonial Active Member

Yes, the difference between a 67 and 69 (or any other two grades) makes a difference.

Also, in the numbers I provided, there may be some "positive selection bias" where collectors intentionally disproportionately submit the highest grade coins. I suspect some of this is possible but don't actually know because it's also equally possible that a very higher proportion are eligible for PR-69. Unless these were submitted in mass by a few people, I don't believe the collector base is large enough where anywhere near this number know how to grade to this level of minutia.

The primary point I was making (which I believe is agreed with by at least some of the other posts) is that $150 or $180 isn't remotely "cheap" or even reasonably priced for such a common coin from one of (if not the least) popular US series. I consider it vastly inflated.

Moreover, going by the Heritage archives, this coin has been a huge money loser. The PR-70 below sold for $5400 back in 2007 when the PCGS count was "only" 39.
    \
    http://coins.ha.com/itm/susan-b.-an...8-1723.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Now that the count is 265, the last one sold for $352, "only" a 93% loss.

http://coins.ha.com/itm/susan-b.-an...-24100.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

For a 69, the highest price was $529 back in 2004 and the most recent $94 earlier this year.

Even at $94, for a coin that likely has a noticeable multiple to the current counts, I don't see it as "cheap". If I were to buy it, I would treat it as a consumption expense and not worry about what it sells for later.

ewomack and tommyc03 like this.
  5. Dancing Fire

Dancing Fire Junior Member

Yes, in OGP with all 6 coins being TY-2s are pretty tough to find. I found many sets with 3-4 TY-2 coins which is common. Put together 6 coin sets aren't worth much.

ewomack likes this.
  6. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

@ewomack. There's a little difference. Not much. The 67 I'd be willing to part ways with. 20160502_183347-1.jpg
    20160502_183410_resized.jpg

ewomack likes this.
  7. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

I probably should've wiped them down 1st. They're kept in a case. My photography isn't exactly the best either.

ewomack likes this.
  8. joecoincollect

joecoincollect Well-Known Member

I'd check ebay for buy it now and best offers allowed. If it was priced at 150, I'd offer 75, get a reply offer, then move up a little but way below starting price. I've gotten huge discounts for unpopular coins with Best Offer allowed

ewomack likes this.
  9. joecoincollect

joecoincollect Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link. You got me interested again in these mint marks. I have to check my coins because I have some to double check. I think I had the type 2 for the other denominations like quarter and dime etc. These are probably not as valuable but still interesting. I got an au close date 79 Anthony but in this grade it's probably 10-15 dollars

ewomack likes this.
  10. World Colonial

You should check Great Collections. There are a couple that sold for less than $50 in PCGS 69. One also sold for about $150 late last year. Bizarre that such a common coin should sell for such wildly different prices.

Ultimately years from now, I expect this coin to sell for less than the grading fee.

joecoincollect and ewomack like this.
  11. Dancing Fire

Dancing Fire Junior Member

81 or 79?

ewomack likes this.
  12. World Colonial

81. I did a search this morning. Quite a few sold for over $100 but every one I saw had one bidder which to me potentially means the lot was offered with the "final bid" as reserve and the coin did not sell.

ewomack likes this.
  13. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I know of two 81 type two sets. One is mine the other is a dealer.
    I understand pics can be hard to get a good grade. I would sell mine.

Pm if you want pics.
    The dealer is open tomorrow.
    I think he wants 250 for his, been there for a long while though.
    I don't want anything for being the middle man.

14. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Plenty of things actually sell on GC with 1 bid, it's just the sellers setting their own reserve price. I've never heard of them ever bidding on their own auctions and believe if they were going to buy something to resell (not even entirely sure they do that) they would just sell it outright. Those 1 bid coins sold to someone if you were referring to the ones from GC.

15. World Colonial

I was guessing, as I really do not know and have never bid in a GC auction. I do know that auction firms allow consigners to bid on their on coins and was assuming the possibility that this is what happened since it is odd that all the higher priced sales I saw had only one bid while the lower priced ones had multiple bids.

16. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Some of them do, GC doesn't allow you to bid on your own items though. I just checked a couple listings I have there at the moment and the bid box is inactive on your own listings. They're really straight forward about everything and don't play those hidden games some other places do. I am a big fan of their what you see is what you get approach and their lower fees for both buyers and sellers.

When you think about it it makes sense that the higher priced ones that were essentially set as a reserve by the seller would just get one bid and the ones that were started at a dollar sell lower. They aren't something that really does well in a bidding war type situation since they aren't the top grade but someone that wants one will basically do a buy it now for one with the 1 bid win.

Draft saved Draft deleted