SBA Dollars - To Keep or Not to Keep - That is the Question!

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by man2004, Jun 15, 2018.

1. man2004

man2004 Active Member

I have LARGE bags (many, many, many coins) of SBA dollars that I plucked out of small dollar rolls. I will keep all of the near date 79-P's, 80-S's, 99-P's, 81's, etc. The real question..."Is it worth keeping the higher grade common date SBA's?". I starting sorting them last night into "REGECT" and "KEEPER" bins. The vast majority of coins are 1979-P narrow rim AU-low MS. Almost all of 79-P, D, and S coins are going into the reject bin unless they are flawless. The vast majority of 80-P, D, and S coins are going in the keeper bin (AU and UNC). Damaged or very low grade 80-P, D, and S coins are going in the reject bin. I think all of the 81's and all proofs were already saved when I searched the rolls. At that time, I left some near date 79-P's in the bags just for fun! Another potential question..."Is it worth keeping ALL SBA dollars?" I am not a believer that ALL SBA dollars should be saved in hopes that they will become the next Eisenhower Dollar (gone from circulation). But, I thought the question is worth discussing.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I am personally such a rabid hoarder of coinage I would keep them all. That's what I do. I figure my kids and grandkids can sort it all out once I leave this party. Having said that though, no I do not believe in our lifetime there will be any intrinsic value for SBA's. In fact, I still pick them up at the bank routinely for my own personal hoard. Just my gut feel.

Bambam8778 likes this.
  4. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Me, I'd save the nicest and try to get a buck five or whatever tiny amount over face I could for them ($1.01, even), but I would tire of that quickly, and failing in that, I'd just spend or deposit them. If we're talking about LARGE bags, I'd just as soon put that money to work somewhere else. (Junk silver, for instance).

That being said, there's nothing wrong with @Randy Abercrombie's take on it. If you've got enough discretionary money to leave some of it tied up in bags of Susie B's - and you want to - then why not?

I personally would rather tie up what little spare money I have differently, is all. And that's not because I hate SBA's. I neither hate nor love them.

5. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Well, they never circulated that much to begin with, but yeah, I see what you're saying. If you held onto the nicest BU coins and deposited/spent all the AUs, you might could find enough of a tiny margin to sell these online for a tiny profit. Over time - maybe in rolls if not in singles. If you had the patience and inclination to do so. I doubt I would.

But heck, I myself was in the rather astonishing position of needing to find 4 BU SBAs earlier this very year, since I undertook a Dansco 7172 album and had those holes to fill.

6. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

Hold on to the most perfect example of each, and ALL Wide Rim 1979(P) examples. I have a full set, including proofs, and I don't keep anything, other than Wide Rims, that won't make at least MS65. I have a 79-S, clean as a whistle, but with a semi-wild blue/purple tone that moves as you tilt the coin under the light.

Clawcoins, Bambam8778 and calishield like this.
  7. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I would like to see that one.

SlipperySocks and Bambam8778 like this.
  8. V. Kurt Bellman

If I ever get my photo rig set up right, you will. The only thing my old man bachelor pad man cave lacks is the requisite number and placement of electrical outlets for a tech freak. My nicest Wide Rim made NGC MS64, but I've found a few more raw ones that are pretty stinkin' sweet.

Bambam8778 and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  9. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Well said!! I hoard the same way, lol, it's a sickness:woot:

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  10. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

IMG_1146.JPG

11. V. Kurt Bellman

Overused already. Maybe I need to sacrifice a little of the "too cool by half" bar lighting. In fact, it might be time to rethink the whole location of the bar to allow a photo center.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
    Nathan401 likes this.
  12. man2004

man2004 Active Member

I need a bigger closet!

13. SlipperySocks

SlipperySocks Well-Known Member

Very good question. My boy searches dollar rolls just to pull SBA'S like they are wheaties and won't let me return any.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  14. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

One of these days I should check all the SBAs I put into film cannisters back in the day. Nothing like the OPs hoard, but a nice small kids' hoard that I built back then.

15. V. Kurt Bellman

SBA's circulated quite fully well into the early 1990's where I lived. New BU rolls showed up from time to time as well. My local area had no need for the reintroduction in 1999 (such as a transit system), but the courthouse vending machines all used them and gave them in change (two blocks from my family's shop) so people had them. In 2001 I went to work IN that courthouse. And I haven't been able to swing a dead cat without hitting a lawyer ever since.

Draft saved Draft deleted