Saxony Porcelain Notgeld

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Oldhoopster, Mar 31, 2020.

1. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

I was digging through some boxes and came across this, so I thought I'd share it with the group. This is a set from Saxony in the original box. It includes the gold trimmed pieces.

These were made by Meissen.

IMG_20200330_141114_kindlephoto-185365523.jpg

Stork, ford67, dlhill132 and 14 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Chris B

Chris B Supporter! Supporter

Nice, I have some of these but have never seen any in a presentation box.

4. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Those are cool!

5. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Oldhoopster likes this.
  6. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Are those dated 1921? I have seen these individual and bought a couple of the nicer ones.Never seen them in a full set.
    Reverse of the 20
    upload_2020-3-31_7-8-20.png
    Reverse of the 5
    upload_2020-3-31_7-9-39.png
    What does the 10 look like?

7. Oldhoopster

Sorry P&G. I'm not going to have access to them not my reference books for about a week.

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  8. Oldhoopster

Some more notgeld in the original boxes. These might be better called porcelain medals, but I lump them in with notgeld
    IMG_20200330_135105.jpg

9. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I have had chances over the years to buy collections of these. They are one of the things, while not in my main wheelhouse of collecting at all, I have regretted not buying. I hover between buying what I like because I like them, and being a hopeless hoarder. It depends on the day where I stand.

Btw, not to say anything at all wrong with collecting these. They are fantastic. My point was I already have tons of distinct collections, ancient, (Central Asian, Persian, Roman, Nabatean, Ancient India, Ancient China, etc), US, primitive money, antiquities, etc. At some point you don't look like a collector anymore, just a hoarder. I am probably well past that point, but I TRY to contain myself. :)

Kentucky, buckeye73 and Stevearino like this.
  10. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

I feel your pain @medoraman (or fears about being a hoarder rather than a collector). Last year I had two local auctions of 400 lots each.

But I still have what my wife terms “too much.” I still collect US, foreign, Norway, ancients, currency AND have some notgeld, including some of the porcelain.

Maybe it’s something in our Minnesota water?

Steve

buckeye73 likes this.
  11. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Oh heck, why didn't you tell me? I haven't ever went to a MN coin auction. I would have loved to go and make up an excuse why I needed to buy more! :)

Stevearino likes this.
  12. Oldhoopster

I work in the technical ceramics field, so porcelain notgeld is on of the few things where my hobby and career overlap. And like @medoraman wrote, I am also a borderline hoarder on the right day :woot:

Here is an older pic of some notgeld that need to be atrributed, sorted, and put away. I am trying to skip the medals and stick with pieces that have a denomination. I'm also like the non-Meissen issues from place like Hohr and others
    IMG_20190402_221238_kindlephoto-164065117.jpg

13. Joshua Lemons

Joshua Lemons Well-Known Member Supporter

Nice! There are some I've seen that are white porcelain with gilding and they are stunning.

14. Chris B

Chris B Supporter! Supporter

I have a lone example.

Ger192501.jpg

15. Cachecoins

Cachecoins Historia Moneta

I have the ones with Schiller portrait. Nice sets.

16. NormW

NormW Student Of Coinology

Does any one know if the ceramic coins were actually used as "Not Geld" or if they were more a local souvenir? I grew up with my German Grandmother telling me a lot of stories about the hyper inflation, but I never once heard about these or the various cloth "notgeld" money, etc. Just wondering.

Stevearino likes this.
  17. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

Yeah,...so, what's the down side Steve? Some of us are down stream from you! :D

18. Cachecoins

They did seriously look into useing them and the red stone porcelain is very tough but I do not believe they ever put them into circulation. I don't think the cloth circulated either. A large amount of the bills and coin never circulated either. They were used as a way to raise funds and people collected them. I have a notgeld album that was sold to me with a lot of notgeld in it that was used to store a collection...see below. I will be posting a few bills and coins that did circulate but the bills look more like tickets or coupons and are far less interesting in design. Aachen minted coins that circulated.

19. Cachecoins

notgeldalbum.jpg

notgeldalbuminside.jpg

Some of the notgeld that came in the album was definitely circulated.

Oldhoopster and Seba79 like this.
  20. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

Not a lot of downside for those of us who like to hoard....I mean COLLECT. An interesting factoid for you, Steve, and everyone else. Every single river in Minnesota runs OUT of the state, not a single one runs INTO Minnesota. So there's a lot of folks "downstream" from us.

The Red River of the North which forms the North Dakota - Minnesota border runs north to Canada, Lake Winnipeg and ultimately Hudson Bay. Two of the sister universities in ND are on the Red and are quite bitter rivals, Fargo in the south and Grand Forks in the north. I once was in a restroom in Fargo and saw scribbled on the wall: "Flush twice. Grand Forks needs the water."

Steve

PlanoSteve likes this.
  21. FredJB

FredJB Well-Known Member

Yes some did see limited use but most were made for collectors.

NormW and Stevearino like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted