Saw this today. Sort of coin related. Solid gold!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by dangolf1890, Nov 21, 2015.

1. dangolf1890

dangolf1890 Junior Member

Drool. Only if I were a billionaire...
    [​IMG]

Endeavor, stevex6, Volodya and 7 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Magnus Maximus

Magnus Maximus Dulce et Decorum est....

4. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

I figure that if I put my family on a ramen noodle diet for the next 20 years, cancel electricity and water services for the same time, and wear the same clothes until the threads start to fall apart, I may be able to afford this platter by 2035. Of course, with the kind of luck I have, I shall have sacrificed for 20 years only to have a meteorite land on my head the day I pay for this platter. But at least my descendants will have something nice to put cheese on in the gathering after the funeral. :)

TIF and Magnus Maximus like this.
  5. dangolf1890

I'd imagine this would be worth north of $20 million (at least). The thing was at least 14"-16" in diameter. Oh man, it was so beautiful I had to be dragged out of the place haha. It's on display with a bunch of other roman silver and gold at the Legion of Honor in San Francisco.

Ancientnoob and Magnus Maximus like this.
  6. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

20 million? Ok, this would take more than 20 years to get, unless I become a notorious drug dealer. Being Cuban, the Scarface genes flow naturally through my veins. Excuse me while I go place a call to Colombia.

dangolf1890 and Magnus Maximus like this.
  7. Magnus Maximus

The earliest Aureus I see is one of Hadrian, the latest is of Geta/Caracalla.
    It is truly a work of art!

dangolf1890 likes this.
  8. swamp yankee

swamp yankee Well-Known Member

One beautiful work of art,thanks for sharing!

spirityoda likes this.
  9. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

I'm pretty sure that AJ has a couple of those?

10. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Uh. What is that thing? Are those authentic ancient aureii made into some sort of glorified hors d'oeuvres platter?

11. Magnus Maximus

@JA I remember reading an article that talked about how the upper classes in Rome would sometimes make pendents with Aureii or large Sestertii. This masterpiece is probably something along the same lines.

12. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

TinEye gives me no hits on a reverse image search. It would be helpful if the OP would give us some information on the "thing."

13. dangolf1890

It's an offering bowl with Bacchus, Hercules and coins. Roman ca. 210 AD. Solid gold. Part of the Berthouville treasure. I believe it's owned by La Monnaie de Paris ( the French mint).

Last edited: Nov 22, 2015
    John Anthony likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted