Saw this amazing coin yesterday...

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by coin_nut, Dec 6, 2017.

1. coin_nut

coin_nut Well-Known Member

I was at the local pub with my wife last night and apparently the conversation turned to coins. One young woman pulled a big silver medal out of her purse and casually passed it around. On one side was a bust of King Rama V and the other side had several lines in Thai script saying something about his trip to Europe in 1897. I was very impressed with this coin and told her it was valuable, possibly worth 50,000-60,000 baht. I looked it up online this morning and saw that a similar coin sold for almost $2,000 recently. Of course, I offered to buy it from her if she ever wanted to part with it. I also encouraged her to store and handle it more carefully.

The pictures below are of the coin which was sold at auction recently. Now I will keep an eye out for one of these. Rama V obv.jpg Rama V rev.jpg

jj00, Parthicus, Cucumbor and 5 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

More token/medal than coin..........nice though. :)

4. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

That's a very handsome medal. The Thai script looks neat.

The signature of the French engraver, Auguste Patey, looked familiar to me, so I looked him up. Sure enough, he designed some French coins, and the 1908 Thai 1-baht coin.

5. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Well, the only Rama I know of was described by Arthur C. Clark.

But this appears to a cool thing, and very attractive.

6. coin_nut

1989-2532 Thai 10 b obv.JPG 1989-2532 Thai 10 b rev.JPG It is known as the Chakri Dynasty, the Kings called Rama, I through X. King Rama IX died in October of last year and his funeral was this past October, kind of world wide news. One of the things I like most about numismatics is the constant learning experience it causes for me.

7. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Wasn't he the longest-reigning monarch?

Aha. Had to go look him up.

Per Wikipedia:
    The article shows this photo taken in 2006 when he celebrated the 60th anniversary of his reign.

[​IMG]

He doesn't even look like he was sixty years old there, let alone someone who came to the throne as an adult and had already ruled for sixty years!

Amazing.

When I was in my twenties I had a Filipino coworker who I assumed was about my own age. It turned out he was in his early fifties. Some Asian people age very well, apparently!

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
    Theodosius likes this.
  8. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Or you have a poor sight :p

Q

mlov43 likes this.
  9. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

So what's that? In let's say.. American exchange value?

10. coin_nut

Use xe.com for currency conversions. I think that one pictured sold for $1,700+

11. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I know how to do currency exchange.. I just wanted to point out that not everyone knows what 50,000 Baht is.. ;)
    Nice medal by the way

✌ peace :angelic:

12. coin_nut

As I often tell the Thai folks, "Sa-koal", which might be their way of saying "Skoal", since they don't have the sk dipthong in their lingo. Its all good, mate.

paddyman98 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted