Saw this AES Grave for sale. Real or fake?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by NLL, Jan 3, 2022.

1. NLL

NLL Well-Known Member

I saw this coin for sale last night on EBay and looking at the price I figured it probably was a fake. However to my untrained eyes it looks real. Any opinions? Just trying to learn something new today. CD947D85-B1F5-443B-A41A-205D0826301D.png B397B774-083D-45A1-86F5-BEFEC66F51B7.png

sand likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. romismatist

romismatist Well-Known Member

Not my area of specialty but style and fabric look off. I have seen a lot of coins in 35+ years but not one like this. The metal looks ancient but that being said, I have been shocked at how deceptive current forgers can be at distressing metal to look ancient. There are quite a few fakes out there which would have fooled me from an "ancient metal" standpoint if it were not for the obvious style discrepancies. So not really a definitive yes or no but just a gut feel to be wary. Caveat emptor.

4. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

I would be cautious about the coin. If the price is less than $100 it would be a good price for a reproduction.
    You can see more here:
    acsearch.info - Auction research

Alegandron likes this.
  5. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

6. romismatist

romismatist Well-Known Member

LOL - the Bulgarian origin for that one is a big tip-off for me, as well as fake applie dpatina and style of that coin....

7. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..ahaha...THAT one speaks volumes...><

8. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

Its a modern copy , heres the real deal , at the top there is damage on the rim,
    broken off from his neighbour , these were cast in a mold.
    P1150665 (6) Aes grave 321 gram.JPG

9. arnoldoe

arnoldoe Well-Known Member

the ebay listing wasn't selling it as genuine
    "Roman 289 -245 BC Republic. Aes grave, type of, repro Janus/ Mercury head. Copying the type T&V I BU0715 combine shipping"

Alegandron, ominus1 and DonnaML like this.
  10. NLL

NLL Well-Known Member

Oh gotcha. I figured it was a fake. Thanks for teaching me something new!

sand likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted