Saturday Night Free For All

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Orange Julius, Dec 1, 2019.

1. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

Well, those are from Antioch too lol, just the other one. :) That one isn't as familiar to me, but just the standards and the SRs are the giveaway.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Orange Julius

Orange Julius Well-Known Member

With no new coins due to the holidays, I'm tackling all of the 'lonely rejects!' I have a lot of these the waiting-room tray. The nice ones get cataloged quickly... these are just as cool but usually sit until the pretty ones are done!

Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
  4. Justin Lee

The 2 right ones (in pic 1, obverses) look like they are Volusian and are a obverse die match. I want to say the lower left obv one is Valerian. Top right obv is missing the important bits on the lower right of the legend.

Orange Julius likes this.
  5. Justin Lee

They're still really fun!

6. Orange Julius

They are fun! But... I guess I'm a bit pampered with Roman imperials where you can not only tag the ruler quickly but also the mint and maybe the officina, year and even sometimes the months.

These are a bit more vague sometimes. It's probably the quality of coins that I have here too but at least with the last photo there is some question to who actually minted them because the die engraver was so unfamiliar with latin that they kinda made up the legend.

Anyway, enough with me, what's new in your collection @Justin Lee ?

7. JulesUK

JulesUK Well-Known Member

i’ve been quite quiet recently though i have lots of new purchases i want to share, what’s taking so long is that I’m working hard on photographing my collection, which is proving harder than i thought.

8. Orange Julius

Just go with the phone photos! I have a great camera... but never seem to have time to get great photos either. I've just settled lately for iPhone photos for sharing coins here! Let's see them!

PS: My 2 year old is now thrashing in bed... so I'll probably be knocking off soon to talk him down from waking up until morning!

JulesUK and Justin Lee like this.
  9. Justin Lee

I didn't buy any coins in December, so I'll have to go back to Nov to see what i got... I got my first Ptolemaic Tetradrachm...
    [​IMG]
    Egypt, Ptolemaic Kings
    Ptolemy X Alexander I, 107-88 BC
    Struck Year 15 (of Cleopatra III’s reign), 101/100 BC,
    AR Tetradrachm, Paphos mint (Cyprus)

Obverse: Diademed head of Ptolemy I right.
    Reverse: ΠTOΛEMAIOY-BAΣIΛEΩΣ, eagle left on thunderbolt, wings closed, L IE (date, RY 15) to left, ΠA to right.
    References: Svoronos 1675, SNG Copenhagen 364
    Size: 25mm, 13.36g
    cf: CNG Auction XXII (9/2/1992), lot #202;
    Harlan J. Berk 129th Buy or Bid Sale & Auction (10/16/2002), lot #131
    Note: Ptolemy X Alexander I (140 – 88 BCE) was the younger brother of Ptolemy IX and had served as governor of Cyprus until his mother brought him to Egypt in 107 BCE, replacing his brother. In 101 BCE he supposedly murdered his mother Cleopatra IV. He then married the daughter of Cleopatra V Serene (his niece), Berenice III. He left Egypt after being expelled in 88 BCE only to be lost at sea. He was succeeded briefly by his youngest son Ptolemy XI Alexander II (100 – 80 BCE). After awarding Egypt and Cyprus to Rome, Ptolemy XI was placed on the throne by the Roman general Cornelius Sulla and ruled jointly with his step-mother Cleopatra Berenice until he murdered her. Unfortunately, he was then himself murdered by the Alexandrians.

I got this pretty Euboia drachm...
    [​IMG]
    Euboia, Chalkis
    Circa 290-273/1 BC
    AR Drachm

Obverse: Head of the nymph Chalkis right, wearing earring and necklace.
    Reverse: Eagle flying right grappling with serpent in talons, caduceus below; XAΛ before.
    References: Picard Em. 30; BCD Euboia 178-80; SNG Copenhagen 438
    Size: 17mm, 3.46g

And I might have shared this already on here, but I picked up this Seleukid drachm to pass along to a member of the local coin club to go with his recently acquired Balas tet...
    [​IMG]
    Seleukid Kings of Syria
    Alexander I Balas, 152-145 BC
    AR Drachm, Struck 151-149 BC, Antioch

Obverse: Diademed head right.
    Reverse: BAΣΙΛΕΩΣ / ΑΛΕΞANΔPOY / ΘEOΠATOPOΣ / EYEPΓETOY to right and left, Apollo seated left on omphalos, testing arrow and resting hand on bow set on ground, Ѳ below.
    References: SNG Spaer -; Newell, SMA 186
    Size: 19mm, 3.88g
    Ex: Pegasi Numismatics, purchased early 2000’s at NYINC

robinjojo, tibor, Theodosius and 6 others like this.
  10. Justin Lee

Hopefully you're successful!!

11. Orange Julius

Great coins! The great thing about that Ptolemy X tetradrachm is that someone over the years didn't polish it up all nice and silver shinny. I like coins much more if they aren't ashamed of their natural beauty! I need to buy more silver. A new year!

Justin Lee likes this.
  12. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Obviously there is more than one way to look at the matter. You can say a image is only required to be good enough to tell what it was or you can desire an image that will be fun to see and share that might even show small details that require magnification to see. Photos are easy; good photos require a bit more effort. I hope you will stick with it and be able to share the best you can do. I do admit that my photography has had an effect on the coins I buy. I have been known to avoid a coin because I know that it will be hard to photograph. When I 'need' to buy, for example, a glossy black coin that I know will be a problem, I pay the price and have to shoot it several times before I get an image I can accept. It would be easier to blame the coin for being bad that to admit my skills are weak in the area.

Roman Collector likes this.
  13. Terence Cheesman

Terence Cheesman Well-Known Member

Sometimes I just like to go through one of my boxes and find a coin that I really have not looked at for a while. Kyme Ar Tetradrachm 165-160 B.C. Metrophanes Magistrate. Obv Head of the Amazon Kyme right Rv Horse walking right within wreath. 16.74 grms 31 mm I love the Stephanoric tetradrachms and actually I kyme3.jpg am looking at purchasing another though from a different mint in NYC

Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
    Etcherman, robinjojo, tibor and 7 others like this.
  14. cwart

cwart Senior Member Supporter

Christmas was good to me... waiting on my first 3 purchases of 2020 to arrive sometime this week. Of course I still need to get around to taking pictures of the last two I received in 2019 as well... lol

Justin Lee and Orange Julius like this.
  15. frankjg

frankjg Well-Known Member

It's not late but I was up late last night working on a write-up for this recent acquisition.. stay tuned and I'll eventually post it if I think it's worth a read.

A few firsts here for me:

- First provincial
    - First S. Severus
    - First attempt at a write-up

IMG_1535.JPG

Septimus Severus
    Perinthos, Thrace
    AE Tetrassarion, 14.72g, 28mm
    Obv: AY K Κ CΕΠTI CEYHPOC Π Laureate head of Septimius Severus to right
    Rev: ΠE-PIN/ΘI-ΩN // NEΩKOPΩ/N Octastyle temple with annulet in pediment

Ryro, Justin Lee, JulesUK and 5 others like this.
  16. Terence Cheesman

Terence Cheesman Well-Known Member

magnesia5 (2).jpg As I am going to NYC I have to put my coins back into their second home So here is one that I noticed. Magnesia ad Maeandrum Ar Tetradrachm 160-150 B.C. Obv. Bust of Artemis right Rv Apollo standing within wreath Jones 10 16.83 grms 32 mm Photo by W. Hansen

robinjojo, Valentinian, tibor and 8 others like this.
  17. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Saturday night coining! I finally got around to photographing this one. I bought it at a Frank Robinson auction in September, 2014!

Salonina CONCORDIA AVGG Samosata.jpg
    Cornelia Salonina, AD 253-268.
    Roman billon antoninianus, 3.71 g, 19.4 mm, 11 h.
    Uncertain eastern mint, AD 253-260.
    Obv: CORN SALONINA AVG, Draped bust right, wearing stephane, set on crescent. Rev: Gallienus and Salonina standing facing one another, clasping right hands.
    Refs: RIC V 63; Göbl 1691p; Cohen/RSC 31; RCV 10630; Hunter 33.
    Notes: The place of minting is unknown. RIC attributes it to "Asia"; the British Museum assigns it to Antioch, Göbl attributes it to Samosata, and Sear to a "uncertain Syrian mint." Similarly, the dating is uncertain. Sear assigns a date of AD 258-260, Göbl to AD 256-260, RIC to AD 255-258, and the British Museum to 253-260.

18. Orange Julius

2014!? Ha, I have a lot of similar coins that need more love... that’s exactly what this thread is for! I think I have one of these too. I’ll post it when I get the kids to bed.

Roman Collector likes this.
  19. Orange Julius

@frankjg that’s a great coin! i love architecture coins. I enjoy researching the what the ruins of those buildings would have looked like.

20. Nvb

Nvb Well-Known Member

I have my collection all laid out, picking out about a dozen pieces to sell..
    Can't take photos as I broke my iphone the other day =(

In other news, acquired a few very nice coins from a private collection last week.
    Haven't posted them on CT yet.

In the mix:
    Elis stater 96th Olympiad
    Seleukos Nikator Tetradrachm - Elephant Quadriga
    Kaulonia nomos - 530-500 BC

21. Orange Julius

Here's my Salonina. Half of the reverse legend is off flan so I like yours better.
    SaloninaRIC63.jpg
    CONCORDIA AVGG
    RIC 63

While looking for this one in my books, I thought I'd share my other similar coins from the same mint of the rest of the family!
    ValerianRIC285.jpg
    Valerian
    PIETAS AVGG
    RIC 285

GallienusAntioch447.JPG
    Gallienus
    PIETAS AVGG
    RIC 447

SaloninusAntiochRIC36.JPG
    Saloninus
    SPES PVBLICA
    RIC 36