Saturday Night Free For All

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Orange Julius, Dec 1, 2019.

1. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

Your website is excellent - thank you! I was certainly enthralled by your coin and the write up you provided. I had been looking at this type for some time. But I think you may know how it is.. targets come and go, priorities change..

But your coin inspired me to have another look on VCoins... and this beauty is on the way!

upload_2022-6-11_20-38-33.png
    Ionia, Smyrna, c. 75-50 BC. Æ (22mm, 6.94g, 12h). Pasikrates, magistrate. Laureate head of Apollo r. R/ Homer seated l., holding scroll; two monograms to l. SNG Copenhagen 1142. VF - Good VF

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Sulla80

Sulla80 Well-Known Member

Thanks, @Clavdivs, and congratulations - great detail on Homer!

Clavdivs likes this.
  4. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Great coin. Now I want one!

AEOLIS, KYME.jpg AEOLIS KYME aa.jpg
    AEOLIS, KYME
    AR Hemiobol
    OBVERSE: Eagle's head left, KY to left (M beneath the head, nearly off flan)
    REVERSE: Quadrapartite incuse square of mill-sail pattern
    Struck at Aeolis, 450BC
    .46g, 7mm
    SNG Cop 32

5. Sulla80

Sulla80 Well-Known Member

I know how that works - I suppose that is a good definition of an "ancient coin collector" = "doesn't have one, yet". Here's one that I like (and have), brought to mind by @Bing's coin. The "sea eagle head" is much less eagle-like on this archaic coin.
    upload_2022-6-12_10-31-26.png
    Paphlagonia, Sinope, AR Drachm, circa 490-425 BC, 6.05g, max 16.5mm
    Obv: Stylized head of sea-eagle left
    Rev: Quadripartite incuse square with two opposing quarters filled, the others stippled.
    upload_2022-6-12_10-32-6.png

Last edited: Jun 12, 2022
  6. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Quite a difference in art interpretation and both your coin and mine were struck close enough to be contemporaries.

Sulla80 likes this.
  7. Orange Julius

Orange Julius Well-Known Member

Hey all, haven't been around as much but still here and appreciating everyone's coins. Anyway, life has been hard lately and buying coins hasn't been the priority. However... here and there I'll pick up a snack when I can.

This coin isn't amazing and Valentinian II isn't the most compelling figure but... I found this one as a Buy It Now for $0.99 and $10 shipping. Anyway, it's a scarce variation of the earlier galley types and not the same type as the more common GLORIA ROMANORVM types of a similar period.

According to RIC IX, this type was "to have been Valentinian’s earliest issue after his flight from Italy" running from Mangnus Maximus, sheltering in Thessalonica.

ValentinianIIThessalonicaRICIX-61a.JPG
    Valentinian II.
    AE4. Thessalonica.
    DN VALENTINI-ANVS PF AVG, pearl diademed, draped, cuirassed bust right
    VIRTVS AVGGG, emperor on galley left, holding phoenix on globe, right foot on captive, Victory at helm.
    A in left field. Mintmark TES. RIC IX Thessalonica 61a.

Marsyas Mike and Johndakerftw like this.
  8. Orange Julius

Orange Julius Well-Known Member

It's quiet here these days... but I'd like to keep "Saturday Night Free For All" a thing.

I made a post a few years ago about late 3rd century SILVERED tetradrachms from Alexandria. I have a few coins from Aurelian and Probus that show silvering... this one being the most obvious. Anyone else have silvered 3rd century tetradrachms from Alexandria?
    AurelianEmmett3924.jpg
    AurelianTetMacro.JPG

9. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Draft saved Draft deleted