Saturday Night Free For All

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Orange Julius, Dec 1, 2019.

1. Orielensis

Orielensis Well-Known Member

This Saturday, I'd like to post an LRB that I recently bought. It's only my second ancient coin for this year.

I didn't have the Chi-Rho type in my collection yet, and I like coins from the Trier mint:
    Rom – Magnentius, AE2, Trier, Chi-Rho.png
    Magnentius, Roman Empire, AE2, 352 AD, Trier mint. Obv: D N MAGNENTIVS P F AVG; bust of Magnentius, bareheaded, draped, cuirassed, r. Rev: [SALVS DD N]N AVG ET CAES; ☧ flanked by A and ω; in exergue, TRS•. 25mm, 4.33g. Ref: RIC VIII Treveri 323.

paschka, Sulla80, Ryro and 15 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Spaniard

Spaniard Well-Known Member

This is my latest pick up...A little snack but does have a nice portrait..
    Valens. 364-378 AD. AE Nummus (2.19 gm, 18mm). Thessalonica mint. Struck 364-367 AD.
    Obv.: D N VALENS P F AVG, pearl-diademed, draped and cuirassed bust to right.
    Rev.: GLORIA ROMANORVM, Emperor walking to right, head to left, holding labarum and dragging captive; TESΓ in exergue.
    RIC IX #16b. VF.
    valens.jpg

Ryro, ominus1, Valentinian and 11 others like this.
  4. Terence Cheesman

Terence Cheesman Well-Known Member

Well it is Saturday Night (or afternoon depending on how you look at it, While in New York I picked up another coin minted during the lifetime of Alexander III It is this coin
    Alexander III Ar Tetradrachm Myriandros (possibly Alexandria ad Issum) 332-325 BC Obv. head of beardless Herakles in lion skin headdress right. Rv Zeus Aetophoros seated left. Price 3218 16.94 grms 25 mm Photo by W. Hansen alexandert62.jpg Okay what do I know about this coin. The minting of Alexander tetradrachms at this mint during his lifetime is rather small. Le Rider indicates that there are ten dies known from this period. This coin is considered to be the first of two groups minted without the title of Basileos. The ME and scorpion group is somewhat larger than the subsequent MY group which continues on after the introduction of the title of Basileos. This mint presents something of a puzzle. In many respects the issue does resemble the issues from the earlier mints such as Tarsos and Tyre. In all of these mints the Zeus has a foot stool and there is no mintmark such as the DA found on the coins minted at Damaskos. it is possible that the MY in the second issue is a mintmark which further complicates the problem. At present I am thinking that the mint was active for a short time circa 332-331 BC and then closed until circa 325-323 BC when there was a sudden flood of activity in anticipation of the return of Alexander's army from India. The other option is that the mint started at 325 BC.

paschka, Ryro, Marsyas Mike and 9 others like this.
  5. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

Here is a very scarce aspron trachy of Manuel of the Komnenodoukai from Thessalonica:

s-l1600.jpg
    AE22mm 1.45g billon ca. 1234-5
    O / AΓI/OC / ΔI/MH/...; Half-length bust of Saint Demetrios, beardless and nimbate, wearing tunic, breast plate and sagion, holding spear in r. hand and sword in l. hand.
    [MANOVHΛ ΔEC] - IC - XC; full-length figure of despot left, wearing stemma, divitision and paneled chlamys, holding in r. hand sceptre cruciger and in l. hand anexikakia, crowned by Christ wearing tunic and kolobion, holding Gospels in l. hand; star in r. field.
    cf. DOC 3a, Type A, p.571; Sear 2177/2184; Labarum 21770.

First, this is a middle module trachion, which is at least scarce after 1230 by itself. Second, the preservation is above average. Third and most important, it was not clipped later on in the 1240s when the trade in the Balkan area and northern Greece/Thrace, Epiros etc. relies heavily on heavily clipped petty coinage.

Ryro, ominus1, sky92880 and 9 others like this.
  6. Orange Julius

Orange Julius Well-Known Member

Not much new here. Coins of quality are more expensive than I want to spend at this time, so I'm just picking up some ebay snacks when there's a good deal.

Here's a Quintillus I picked up last week. The portrait is really nice and the surfaces on the reverse are pretty much without wear (so they looked about this ugly when new). One intersesting additional detail about this coin is that it appears to be an overstrike. In the reverse field upper left, you can see the remnants of a wing, similar to the wings on the Gallienus Pegasus winged horse zoo series coins (it's more apparent in-hand). I can't be sure of the under type but it sure looks to be the style of those earlier Gallienus coins. I don't actively collect Quintillus coins but snag them here-and-there and now have about 10 reverse types (of varying quality). I plan to make a stand alone post soon. I guess what I like about coins of this era is that the artistry of the portraits is still really high, it's just the manufacture of the coins themselves (flans, strike, wearing out dies) that is terrible. So nice portraits, during a fast moving time, at a low cost.
    QuintillusRomeRICV-1-79.JPG
    Quintillus, 270
    Siscia, 4th officina
    Ob: IMP C M AVR QVINTILLVS AVG Radiate, draped and cuirassed bust of Quintillus to right seen from rear.
    Rev. VBERITAS AVG / Q Uberitas standing front, head to left, holding purse in her right hand and cornucopia with her left.
    RIC 79 (Mediolanum). RIC online 1259.
    That's a beauty! I love those chi-rho coins. I have a very ugly example of Decentius but not worth showing here (ugly). Nice coin! I'd love to get a Constantius II version.
    Terence, I'm always jealous of your coins. I love the scorpion! Thanks for showing it off.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2022
    Ryro, ominus1, Valentinian and 11 others like this.
  7. Orielensis

Orielensis Well-Known Member

I have posted most of my Postumus subcollection on this board, but here is a coin I didn't show yet. I bought it in 2021 and somehow never found the time to do a full write-up.

Earlier sholarship has sometimes considered the "NEPTVUNO REDVCI"-type a reference either to the legion XXX, whose emblem was Neptune, or to a voyage of Postumus to Britain. Septimius Severus, for example, had minted similar coins to celebrate his safe sea voyage to Britain in 208 AD. Jerome Mairat is rather sceptical of these theories, though: "The reverse with Neptune is more likely to symbolise only the safe return of Postumus from a naval journey, probably on the Rhine" (Mairat: The Coinage of the Gallic Empire, Diss. Oxford 2014, 119).

Rom – Postumus, Antoninian, Neptun.png
    Postumus, Gallic Roman Empire, AR antoninianus, 262–263 AD, Trier mint. Obv: IMP C POSTVMVS P F AVG; bust of Postumus, radiate, draped, cuirassed, r. Rev: NEPTVNO REDVCI; Neptune stg. l., holding small dolphin in r. hand and vertical trident in l. hand, at feet, to l., prow of ship. 23 mm, 3.64g. Ref: Mairat 243; RIC V Postumus 76.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2022
    Ryro, ominus1, Orange Julius and 7 others like this.
  8. Terence Cheesman

Look at that it is SATURDAY:joyful: Last week I commented on a thread in CT called "Big Al" In this thread I noted that I saw a number of tetradrachms minted during the same period as the Tetradrachm from Temnos that i had posted had unusually broad flans. To further illustrate that point.
    Maroneia Ar Tetradrachm 168-48/45 BC Obv. Head of Dionysos right wreathed in ivy and berries. Rv. Dionysos nude standing left holding grape cluster and narthex stalks. Schonert-Geiss 1195 HGC 1556 15.98 grms 34 mm Photo by W. Hansen maroneia14.jpg Given that this coin is listed about half way through the corpus of tetradrachms listed plus its lighter weight, I have to assume that this coin is somewhat later that the circa 160 BC range that I had thought it had belonged to when I first purchased it. However there does seem to be a tendency for the Attic weight tetradrachms to have broader flans, during the late Hellenistic period. However this was not always the case.

Ryro, Spaniard, Orange Julius and 6 others like this.
  9. Sulla80

Sulla80 Well-Known Member

Here's an unusually broad flan, this coin has an egg shaped flan of 32-39mm and 16.2g from Caria, Alabanda, Price 2460. The A under Zeus' throne is the date Civic Year 1 == 168/167 BC.
    upload_2022-3-27_7-47-24.png
    Caria, Alabanda, Circa 169-161 BC, AR Tetradrachm (32-39mm, 16.2g, 12h), in the name and types of Alexander III of Macedon, Dated CY 1 (168/167 BC)
    Obv: Head of Herakles right, wearing lion skin
    Rev: Zeus Aëtophoros seated left; in left field, Pegasos springing left; A (date) below throne.
    Ref: Price 2460

Last edited: Mar 27, 2022
    paschka, Ryro, Spaniard and 8 others like this.
  10. The Meat man

The Meat man Well-Known Member

Nothing fancy, just a decent inexpensive coin with a nice dark green patina.

Divus Augustus, struck under Tiberius, A.D. 22 - 30
    Rome mint
    OBV: DIVVS AVGVSTVS PATER, radiate head of Augustus left
    REV: PROVIDENT, altar-enclosure with double paneled door, various ornaments on top, left, and right; large S C in field
    27mm, 10.57g; RIC I 81
    20220326_163402.jpg

paschka, Ryro, Spaniard and 9 others like this.
  11. Orange Julius

Hello all! Happy Saturday. What's everyone working on tonight?

Things are expensive lately, so I've just been picking up snacks and scraps. Below is a new coin just received today. I know FEL TEMPS aren't super exciting to some but I really like them.

Anyway, this coin had been sitting on ebay for months. I liked the detail but with the crowded reverse, missing some of the legend, it was listed for a bit more than I wanted to pay for it. I messaged the seller a few months ago with an offer, months went by but he finally got back to me when nobody else was snagging it and accepted my slightly reduced offer.

I have a lot of these fallen horseman... so I wasn't going to pay much but I think it was a fantastic buy for $20 all in. This coin is a mid-size version of the type from the 4th series from September 352 to November 353 (according to the excellent article by Sean Gaza linked below... A good read, if you like these coins, check it out.)

https://www.academia.edu/44549791/B..._the_FEL_TEMP_REPARATIO_Falling_horseman_type

ConstantiusIIAntiochRICVIII-148.JPG
    Constantius II - FEL TEMP REPARATIO - Antioch (S/ANB) - RIC VIII 148

Ryro, Spaniard, ominus1 and 8 others like this.
  12. Orange Julius

That's a really cool coin! I love that Pegasus! ...and I hope you don't mind me saying this... my coin photography is not good, using just a phone. However, I don't think your current image is showing off your coin as best it could be. The lighting is flat and I think that one looks like one of those coins that is probably pretty impressive in hand. I'd recommend a reshoot! Again, not being negative, just some constructive comments so that you may get the nudge to show that coin off a bit better! BTW, your blog is great!

Last edited: Mar 27, 2022
    Sulla80 likes this.
  13. Orange Julius

I really like those coins, great catch. I have a really ugly example. I've always wanted to get a top notch version... but not pay top notch prices!

The Meat man likes this.
  14. Sulla80

Sulla80 Well-Known Member

Hi OJ, constructive comments are always appreciated - I agree with you that photo needs some work - funny how some coins photograph themselves and others take more effort - I took another stab at it (replaced above) - incremental improvement at least...Pegasus was a big part of the draw.
    upload_2022-3-27_7-12-11.png

Last edited: Mar 29, 2022
    Ryro, Orange Julius, Spaniard and 7 others like this.
  15. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Nothing special, but another addition to my subcollection of CONSTANTINOPOLIS and VRBS ROMA commemoratives. It's in the mail, so here's the seller's photo.

Constantinopolis Commemorative Rome GB.jpg

Constantine I, AD 307-337.
    Roman billon centenionalis, 2.55 g, 18 mm, 11 h.
    Rome, AD 330.
    Obv: CONSTANTI-NOPOLIS, bust of Constantinopolis, laureate, helmeted, wearing imperial cloak, left, holding scepter at left shoulder.
    Rev: Victory, winged, draped, standing left on prow, holding scepter in right hand and resting left hand on shield; RFЄ in exergue.
    Refs: RIC vii, p. 336, 332; RVC 16463; LRBC I, 536; Cohen 21.

Ryro, Spaniard, ominus1 and 9 others like this.
  16. Spaniard

Spaniard Well-Known Member

Just been picking up a few lrbs lately nothing special but this one does have a nice human like portrait....
    Gratian... 375-383 AD. AE Centenionalis (1.59 gm, 20mm). Antioch mint. Struck 378-383 AD.
    Obv.: DN GRATIANVS PF AVG, pearl diademed, draped, cuirassed bust right.
    Rev.: VIRTVS ROMANORVM, Roma seated facing, head left, holding globe and spear, Θ in left field, Φ in right field. ANTΔ. LRBC 2674; RIC IX Antioch 50b. Slightly double struck.
    20220310_6ygWn4J7Cb2enXs9eA4Q6Dx5Pd3C8F-1.jpg

Sulla80, Ryro, Edessa and 5 others like this.
  17. Orange Julius

New photo looks good! I also like the macro shots. It’s so much fun to dive into the details really close up sometimes. I’ve been thinking on creating another thread for “just the details” on coins. Thanks for sharing!
    Nice coin! Coins from the late empire, especially from 364-400-ish, don’t get the love they deserve. I’ll try to post some later stuff tonight. Before I knew much about Roman history, I’d heard the name Graitian, and always figured he was one of the “Greats” of Roman Emperors. …well, unfortunately he wasn’t. However, it’s hard to feel bad for Gratian. He was young, arrogant, anti-pagan and eventually disliked by his army. His story is interesting and so are his coins!

Sulla80 and Spaniard like this.
  18. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

A nice full flan Thessalonica issue for Theodore of the Komnenodoukai, ca. 1227-8 DOC 9.1 Type F, p.558; Sear 2168 31x30mm 3.69g:

2527033_1643407306.jpg

19. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

Happy Saturday!

Shield.png

KINGS of MACEDON. Philip III Arrhidaios. 323-317 BC.
    Æ Half Unit, 15mm, 3.3g, Miletos(?) mint.
    Struck under Asandros, circa 323-319 BC.
    Obv.: Macedonian shield with pellet on boss.
    Rev.: Crested Macedonian helmet; grain ear to lower left, K to lower right.

20. Terence Cheesman

Saturday :)One of the things I have been doing to pass the time away is to look up the auction cats found on the Newman Numismatic Portal or the rnumis web page and look for my coins in order to create a more complete auction pedigree. I have been reasonably successful though the process has been long and sometimes disappointing as some coins featured in these cats are so frustratingly close to being one of mine :banghead::banghead:. This is one of my successes
    Heraklea Ar Nomos 281-278 BC Obv Head of Athena right wearing Corinthian style helmet. Rv. Herakles standing facing right hand resting on club. Van Keuren 87 7.96 grms 21 mm Photo by W. Hansen herakleia 1.jpeg I had originally bought this coin from a US Dealer back in late October 1994. Though my searching I discovered that the coin was in a Swiss auction early in 1991. An extra three years isn't that significant, though now I know a little more about this coin's more recent history.:)

21. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Nice MSC @Clavdivs
    The patina on these is always surreal and yours is no exception :cigar:
    A wildly successful weekend at last week's Savoca with rarities, beauties and cuties:
    2647346_1647338919.l-removebg-preview.png
    Alexander III ‘the Great’
    336-323 BC. Æ 12 mm (3.62 g). Uncertain mint. Struck circa 325-310 BC. Shield with thunderbolt in central boss and five double crescents divided by groups of five pellets around / Macedonian helmet; crayfish below. A particularly rare symbol. Price 418. Purchased March 2022 from Savoca Auctions

2647397_1647338951.l-removebg-preview.png
    Philip V.
    221-179 BC. Æ (12mm, 2.10 g, 7h). Pella or Amphipolis mint. Struck circa 211-201 BC. Macedonian shield, boss decorated with head of the hero Perseus right, wearing Phyrgian cap, Countermark of Herm to right/ Macedonian helmet facing. Mamroth, Bronzemünzen 9; Touratsoglou, Macedonia 7; HGC 3, 1087. Rare and maybe unique example with C/M. Purchased March 2022 from Savoca Auctions

2647401_1647338953.l-removebg-preview.png
    Perseus
    179-168 BC. Æ (12mm, 4.88 g). Pella or Amphipolis mint. Macedonian shield, boss decorated with whorl / Harpa right; ΠEP monogram and star below. AMNG III/2, 12; HGC 3, 110. VF, earthen dark green patina. Rare. Purchased March 2022 from Savoca Auctions

FO-Dj9tVQAAcmXt.jpeg 2647359_1647338927.l-removebg-preview.png
    Alexander III - Philip III
    Ca. 325-310 B.C. AE half unit (16 mm, 3.97 g). Uncertain Macedonian mint. Macedonian shield with boss decorated with thunderbolt / B-A, Macedonian helmet w/ half circle and pellet below. Liampi 71. Purchased March 2022 from Savoca Auctions

2647375_1647338937.l-removebg-preview.png
    Alexander III 'the Great'
    (336-323 BC). Ae Half Unit. Uncertain mint in Asia. Obv: Macedonian shield with pellet on boss. Rev: Macedonian helmet. Control: Grain ear to left, K to right. Price 2072. Condition: Nearly Very fine. Weight: 3.58 g. Diameter: 15 mm. Purchased March 2022 from Savoca Auctions
    +
    Bonus ebay coin:cigar:
    How could I pass on not one but two gorgons:troll::troll:
    f895f4ea-38f5-42f4-abb6-a705ac1d492c_text.gif
    Screenshot_20220401-135017_PicCollage-removebg-preview.png
    Philip III Arrhidaios
    323-317 BC. Æ Half Unit (18mm, 3.5 g, 12h). Miletos(?) mint. Struck under Asandros, circa 323-319 BC. Macedonian shield; gorgoneion on boss / Macedonian helmet; rose to left. Price 2070. VF. Purchased from BluePhoenix63 March 2022

Last edited: Apr 2, 2022
    paschka, akeady, Edessa and 9 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted