Saturday Night Free For All

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Orange Julius, Dec 1, 2019.

1. Nvb

Nvb Well-Known Member

Here's a coin I havent posted on CT yet.
    I like the style of this one more than most.. and at 34mm it dwarfs all my other silver coins.

Naumann 83 lot 67.jpg

THRACE. Maroneia. Tetradrachm (Circa 189/8-49/5 BC).

Obv: Head of Dionysos right, wearing ivy wreath.
    Rev: ΔΙΟΝΥΣΟΥ / ΣΩΤΗΡΟΣ / MAPΩNITΩN.
    Dionysos standing left, holding grape bunch and narthex stalks; monogram to inner left and inner right.

Schönert-Geiss 1058 (V27/R77).

Condition: Very fine.

Weight: 16.41 g.
    Diameter: 34 mm.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Orange Julius

Orange Julius Well-Known Member

Wow! Great coin! I'm still lacking many of these larger greek silvers. A beautiful coin, you should picture it in-hand to show the size!

4. Nvb

Nvb Well-Known Member

IMG_0534.jpg

IMG_0533.jpg

5. Orange Julius

Who's out there coining late?

If you see a pattern with me reviving this thread after midnight on Saturdays... it's because my 2.75 year-old enjoys battling sleep until nearly midnight on the weekends and it's one of my only nights to stay up late and enjoy some coining time.

Anyway, I showed this coin briefly in one of the Zoo series threads but it's so nice, I have to post it twice.

How about the stripes on this Tiger!?
    GallienusRomeRIC230.JPG

What are you working on tonight?

robinjojo, tibor, Theodosius and 7 others like this.
  6. thejewk

thejewk Well-Known Member

Rather than up late, I'm up early in the UK after being woken up by the cat, though thankfully not a tiger.

Orange Julius and Marsyas Mike like this.
  7. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

2:55 AM here, also with cat-related insomnia. So I'm working up a small batch of stuff I got yesterday from my local dealer's junk drawers, 3 of them ancients. All were $2 each, except the Philippines 5 centavos which was fifty cents (1932 Manila mint - Fall of the Philippines connections - the Japanese melted a lot off these down for the nickel, from what I've read).

Not sure about the prutah - think it is John Hyrcanus I? The Seleucid bottlecap is Antiochos IV with Hera reverse. The LRB is Valens from Siscia. Sorry about the lousy photos - overcast day (and so I blame the sun for my poor photography).

Lot Seleucid, Prutah Dec 28 2019 (0).jpg

8. Orange Julius

Those are some nice pickups! I like the bottle cap, I don't have any of those. It's too bad Valentinian and Valens didn't mint more bronze coin types... they were interesting emperors!

Marsyas Mike likes this.
  9. Orange Julius

I have my own cat coin assistant. This is Charlie... or Charlos, or Charla... or any other number of nicknames:

(I should say that Charlie's brother (the cat in my coin avatar... Ozwald) was my coin assistant with Charlie as the apprentice. Ozwald is no longer with us but had trained his brother well.)

AA1EE3BC-CDFE-4550-9AE3-2E3D26028462.jpg

Last edited: Dec 29, 2019
  10. 1934 Wreath Crown

1934 Wreath Crown Well-Known Member

Here are a couple of recent acquisitions:

LYCIAN LEAGUE. Masicytes. Ca. 48-20 BC. AR hemidrachm (18mm, 2.02 gm, 1h). MS 5/5 - 4/5.
    Troxell 87.
    Series 1. Laureate head of Apollo right; Λ-Y below / M-A, cithara (lyre); plectrum to left, all within incuse square.

Lycian League Hemi Obv.jpg
    Lycian League Hemi Rev.jpg

PHOENICIA. Byblus. Aynel (Ca. 350-326 BC) AR 1/16 shekel (9mm, 6h).
    BMC 9.
    Lion-headed galley left, containing two hoplites with helmets and round shields, hippocamp below left / Lion attacking bull left, Phoenician inscription above.

Phoenicia Byblus 1 16th Shekel Obv.jpg
    Phoenicia Byblus 1 16th Shekel Rev.jpg

robinjojo, tibor, Theodosius and 7 others like this.
  11. thejewk

thejewk Well-Known Member

Well I've just taken a look at my Carausius coin which is soaking in distilled water at the moment. I'm trying to soften up the soil deposits on the coin so I can try to clean it up a little more with a simple wooden toothpick and light brush setup. I've managed to make a little progress, but the soil is really packed on there and I think it'll need a much longer soak than a few days to start to loosen up.

Orange Julius and Marsyas Mike like this.
  12. Orange Julius

Back on for late night coining...

I'm not working on anything pretty or easy tonight... I'm trying to nail down attributions for these three coins from Antioch. I think they're all Elagabalus.

These have been sitting in my "to do" pile for a year or so because they aren't that easy or fun to nail down. They were all cheap, bored ebay buys. Anyway... here's some bad photos of them:

ElagabalusAntioch2.JPG
    ElagabalusAntioch1.JPG
    ElagabalusAntioch3.JPG
    ElagabalusAntioch4.JPG

What are you working on?!

Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
  13. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

Cool! I've got some of those!

[​IMG]
    Elagabalus, Ruled 218-222 AD
    AE19, Syria, Antioch Mint
    Obverse: AYT KAI M AVP ANTWNEINOC, radiate bust right.
    Reverse: S-C within wreath, ΔЄ above, small eagle standing right with wings spread below.
    Reference: Butcher 470, BMC 426, SNG Cop 245
    Size: 19mm, 7.20g

[​IMG]
    AE19, Syria, Antioch Mint (Laodicea?)
    Obverse: IMP C MAV[R ANT]ONINVS AVG, laureate bust right, three dots at top of laurel.
    Reverse: ΔЄ across field, star below, all within wreath of 10 elements fastened at top with garland.
    Reference: BMC 447-50, McAlee 799
    Size: 19mm, 6.94g

[​IMG]
    AE20, Syria, Antioch Mint (Laodicea?)
    Obverse: IMP C MAVR ANTONINVS [AVG], laureate bust right, three dots at top of laurel.
    Reverse: ΔЄ across field, star below, all within wreath of 10 elements fastened at top with garland.
    Reference: BMC 447-50, McAlee 799
    Size: 20mm, 4.64g

It looks like your radiate Elagabalus is fastened by a star (am I seeing that right?) making yours Butcher 469.
    20200105_020326.jpg 20200105_020525.jpg

14. Orange Julius

Ahhh! Awesome, someone who knows these!

PS: I haven't forgotten that I owe you a meet-up for some coining talk. ...my excuse is that my 2.75 year old toddler has reached his peak tantrum talents, and my 6 month old is learning quickly. If you're still up for it, I'll message you early in this new year.

Anyhoo.. back to our favorite wildcard Elagabalus... I don't have McAlee. So for that coin, what I've been finding on acsearch is 788c. I don't know the difference so it could be either. ...but yes STAR.

Here's a similar one attributed McAlee 788c on acsearch:
    4015336.jpg

Ohh, just saw you added the pages... I'll look at those! This one's light at 3.83 grams.

Johndakerftw, Bing and Justin Lee like this.
  15. Justin Lee

Oh, darn! I got confused... I have Butcher's Coinage in Roman Syria and not McAlee... I've fixed my errors above. Lol hey, it's late!

Orange Julius likes this.
  16. Justin Lee

17. Orange Julius

Sweet! Thanks! It looks like he has 788a covered. I'm guessing the 788c is a variant with a star.

These coins are cool but with so many the same, it makes a certain ID harder than most coins.

The one that's getting me now is the first one where is looks like Ela has a beard. I can't find an example of a bearded weirdo (should say here that I love weirdos and consider myself in the group) anywhere.

18. Justin Lee

Yea, I haven't seen an Antiochene one with a portrait like that either... I'll check in RPC online.

19. Orange Julius

The closest I can find is SNG Kop. 244 on acsearch... below is an example but no beard... and I need beard to be satisfied with this attribution!

SNGKop244.jpg

20. Justin Lee

And it looks like RPC online database doesn't include Syrian coinage, so no Antioch... I'll keep looking. I want o find a bearded one too. :)

21. Orange Julius

My other challenge tonight is these ugly ducks with gibberish legends... some attributions say Valerian, some say Volusian... The legends don't really help as they are corrupted.

https://www.jstor.org/stable/42665070?seq=1

UglyDucks.JPG

Someone needs to post something pretty and attributable haha..

Draft saved Draft deleted