Saturday Night Free For All

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Orange Julius, Dec 1, 2019.

1. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Photographed some new arrivals --

Faustina Sr AETERNITAS S C Aeternitas standing dupondius.jpg
    Faustina I, AD 138-140.
    Roman orichalcum dupondius, 13.81 g, 27.3 mm, 12 h.
    Rome, AD 150.
    Obv: DIVA FAVSTINA, bare-headed and draped bust, right.
    Rev: AETERNITAS S C, Aeternitas standing facing, head left, holding phoenix (nimbate right) on globe in right hand and with left hand drawing out fold of skirt.
    Refs: RIC 1157; BMCRE 1544-47; Cohen 13; Strack 1261; RCV 4638.

Faustina Sr AVGVSTA S C Vesta standing palladium and long torch as.jpg
    Faustina I, AD 138-140.
    Roman Æ as, 9.87 g, 26.5 mm, 11 h.
    Rome, AD 145-147.
    Obv: DIVA FAVSTINA, bare-headed and draped bust, right.
    Rev: AVGVSTA S C, Vesta standing left, holding palladium in extended right hand and long torch in left hand.
    Refs: RIC 1178; BMCRE 1581; Cohen 114; Strack 1295; RCV 4648.

Ryro, Sulla80, Edessa and 11 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

Another interesting and this time early eastern siliqua of Valens:

643488.jpg
    AR17mm 1.61g silver siliqua, minted at Antioch, cca. second half of 364 to early 365.
    DN VALENS - PER F AVG; pearl-diademed draped cuirassed bust r.
    RESTITV - TOR REIP; Emperor standing facing, head r. in military dress, holding standard with Chi-Rho on banner and Victory on globe.
    ANT in exergue
    RIC IX Antioch 7 var. (obverse legend 2c), should be added as Antioch 7d

Notes: This is the first type of siliquae minted for Valentinian I and, starting with late spring or early summer 364, for Valens. The coinage was likely brief, and the specimens bearing the name of Valens are conspicuously scarcer than the ones naming Valentinian.

The PER F AVG (2c) obverse legend is not recorded for silver in RIC, although it is introduced for gold issues as early as mid 364 probably. In conclusion, this specimen is a rather rare variation of an otherwise scarce early siliqua type at Antioch. The type dates to before the usurpation of Procopius, providing a terminus ante quem before the autumn of 365. Although considering the scarcity of specimens, the issue was probably briefer than a full year.

There are other known specimens though, here, here and here.

Ryro, Sulla80, Edessa and 11 others like this.
  4. Terence Cheesman

Terence Cheesman Well-Known Member

Today I went for breakfast and it was so refreshing to be able to get away from politics and begin talking about numismatics and history. I mentioned something about my one and only Celtic coin. It is a tetradrachm from Pannonia with the obverse a rather unique rendition of Zeus facing right with the reverse a an armless and legless horseman right. Lanz 743 KMW 1391 200-100 BC 12.51 grms 20 mm Photo by W. Hansen celtic2.jpeg

Etcherman, Ryro, Stevearino and 16 others like this.
  5. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

Wow.. that is a wonderful piece of art. Thank you for sharing. I do love how the Celts represented horses. The legs almost look like they represent celestial constellations. Their usefulness must have seemed magical.

Edessa, thejewk, Orielensis and 2 others like this.
  6. Terence Cheesman

Terence Cheesman Well-Known Member

I am still recovering from the October madness and now I am working on some of my coins that I may send to auction next year. This one I bought because it was interesting. It is the first issue where the quadriga is depicted running not walking. Syracuse Ar Tetradrachm Boehringer 604 440-430 BC Obv Charioter driving fast quadriga left. In this case Nike is crowning the driver. Rv head of Arethusa right 16.95 grms 24 mm Photo by W. Hansen Xsyracusetd13.jpeg

Ryro, Alegandron, Edessa and 13 others like this.
  7. Roman Collector

I have been rephotographing some coins this Saturday night. Over the years, I must have taken a half a dozen photos of this coin, trying to capture how it looks in hand. This is the best photo I've taken of this coin.

The identity of the female figure on this coin is in dispute, though it plainly identifies her as the personification of Pietas! If it did depict a real woman as Pietas, I subscribe to the Vipsania, mother of Drusus, theory.

Vipsania dupondius.jpg
    Tiberius, AD 14-37.
    Roman orichalcum Dupondius, 14.32 g, 29.15 mm, 1 h.
    Rome, AD 22/23.
    Obv: PIETAS, veiled, diademed and draped bust of (Vipsania? as) Pietas, right.
    Rev: DRVSVS CAESAR TI AVGVSTI F TR POT ITER around large SC.
    Refs: RIC Tiberius 43; BMCRE Tiberius 98; CBN Tiberius 74; Cohen 1; RCV 1741.

Ryro, Alegandron, Edessa and 18 others like this.
  8. Sulla80

Sulla80 Well-Known Member

Attempting to photograph this coin: is it possible this is a goddess and not Zeus on the reverse? The reverse monogram interesting on this coin:
    Eastern Drachm Alexander.jpg
    Celts in Eastern Europe AR Drachm, imitating Alexander III 'the Great' of Macedon, 310-275 BC
    Obv: Head of Herakles right, wearing lion skin headdress
    Rev: Zeus Aëtophoros seated left; monogram in left field

9. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

Saturday night, working up an unattributed batch of Greek and Roman Provincials I just got in from eBay.

Here's a couple from the batch:

That double-face obverse bust is Artemis. The reverse is Athena and I think this is from Sardes, Lydia. There were several magistrates who issued these but I am not having any luck matching mine. Close, just not quite there. 23 mm, 6.5 grams.

Sardes - Artemis & Athena Std. lot Nov 2020 (0).jpg

Sardes - Artemis & Athena Std. lot Nov 2020 (0 det).jpg

Here's another oddity - this little AE from Bithynia, Prusa ad Olympum (Commodus - RPC IV.1, 4799 (temporary), I think) has these weird striations all over it, but only on the reverse. Deliberate damage? Erosion? A horrible cleaning? 15 mm, 0.95 grams. That's Artemis with 2 torches.

Prusa ad Olympum - Commodus Artemis lot Nov 2020 (0).jpg

Wavy Gravy, man:

Prusa ad Olympum - Commodus Artemis lot Nov 2020 (0det).jpg

Alegandron, thejewk, Edessa and 9 others like this.
  10. Roman Collector

Textile impressions in the patina from the cloth purse in which it was stored! VERY cool!

11. +VGO.DVCKS

+VGO.DVCKS Well-Known Member

@Sulla80, my two cents (to mix cliche: ), for what they're worth, would be that, anyway as of the late 4th-3rd. c. BCE (...Dang, your example is Early), it's like, they're Celts (cover your children's ears); they can do what they Want.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2020
    Sulla80 likes this.
  12. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

That is seriously bizarre... and incredibly cool!

Sulla80, +VGO.DVCKS and Marsyas Mike like this.
  13. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

Wow. I had no idea. That is really interesting.

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  14. Sulla80

I think you are probably right - they were Celts and could do what they want. My preferred over-reach on this coin is that the Celts had had enough of the Greeks, and enough of Zeus and his capricious ways and decided that they preferred a Goddess on the throne.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2020
    +VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  15. +VGO.DVCKS

+VGO.DVCKS Well-Known Member

Makes all the intuitive sense in the world. The Celts were at the opposite side of the spectrum from the Germanic tribes of the 4th and 5th c. ACE, falling all over themselves to assimilate.

Sulla80 likes this.
  16. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Yes, I agree that the Vipsania ID makes a lot more sense than the Livilla one BUT we are dealing with politicians here and lying is a profession in that crowd. When a politician makes a strong point about how truthful and honest he is, my tendency is to wonder just who he is trying to fool. In this case, the least Pietas like woman in Rome may very well have been Livilla so a part of me wants to stick to that ID even though Vipsania, being dead, is more likely. In any event it is not Livia as it was labelled by the old crowd of experts.

Roman Collector likes this.
  17. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Today was the Masters golf tourney finale. The winner, Dustin Johnson, was greeted afterward by his fiancé who is only a couple degrees of separation from ancient coin collecting. Who here knows how she might be described this way?

18. Sulla80

I won't give it away, but it was fun while it lasted.

dougsmit likes this.
  19. Roman Collector

Bruce McNall, erstwhile owner of Numismatic Fine Arts, was also the owner of the LA Kings, who brought the Great Gretsky to the USA. Gretsky's daughter is Dustin Johnson's fiance.
    McNall's autobiography is indeed titled Fun While It Lasted: My Rise and Fall in the Land of Fame and Fortune. It was a fun read while it concerned ancient coins, but when he started talking about race horses and hockey, I lost interest. ;)

20. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

I enjoyed it a great deal. It was interesting to read how an extremely intelligent man (McNall) dealing with major money belonging to other people (The Hunt brothers and others) can guess so wrong about the direction of a market he knows very well that he goes hundreds of millions of dollars in the hole.

Roman Collector likes this.
  21. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted