Saturday Night Free For All

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Orange Julius, Dec 1, 2019.

1. +VGO.DVCKS

+VGO.DVCKS Well-Known Member

Yipes, @seth77, don't know how I missed it. Like how it dispenses with the more common martial motifs.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Orielensis

Orielensis Well-Known Member

I've rearranged my medieval trays this week. I hadn't closely looked at some of the coins for quite a while. This one in particular is nicer than I remembered:

MA – Italien, Genua, denaro.png
    Italy, Genoa, civic issue, AR denaro, 1139-1339. Obv: +•IA•NV•A•; city gate. Rev: •CVNRADI REX; cross pattée. 16mm, 0.74g. Ref: CNI 69. MIR 16. Biaggi 835

Limes, Edessa, Orange Julius and 14 others like this.
  4. +VGO.DVCKS

@Orielensis, I couldn't tell you how skewed the American market is toward this, but for years on end, the majority of these that show up here are in that kind of state; borderline Extremely Fine, with really nice strikes. --I have no idea of the history of hoards for these; that would help. Since I'm saving another one for the Medieval Mondays thread, here's mine. COINS, ITALY, GENOA, DENARO.JPG

5. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

Happy Saturday Night!!

Picked this up a month or so ago.. my first Owl.
    New Style and in very low grade but it fit my budget nicely and feels great in hand.

upload_2020-10-3_19-5-31.png
    Attica, Athens. Silver Tetradrachm (15.6g 32mm), ca. 165-42 BC. New Style issue.
    Obverse: Head of Athena right, wearing triple crested Attic helmet decorated with Pegasos springing right.
    Reverse: A-ΘE, owl standing right, head facing, on overturned amphora; in fields, magistrates' monograms; in lower left field, term of Hermes; all within laurel wreath.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2020
    Limes, Edessa, Orange Julius and 10 others like this.
  6. Terence Cheesman

Terence Cheesman Well-Known Member

Here is a coin that just keeps hanging in there. It was the first coin that I had managed to liberate from a coffin. It was labeled AU If you can believe it. I wouldn't think that would be possible for an ancient coin. Oh well Ar Tetradrachm of Elagabalus 218-222 A.D. Emesa Mint? Prieur 267 13.28 grms 24 mm anttdelagabals2.JPG

Limes, Edessa, Orange Julius and 11 others like this.
  7. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Since the thread I posted of it is being ignored, will post it here too since it is a pretty nice coin & not something posted very often.

[​IMG]
    Vonones I (8 - 12 A.D.)
    AR Drachm
    O:ΒΑΣΙΛΕΥΣ ΟΝΩΝΗΣ, bust of king left, tapering beard, short hair; border of dots; semi-circular Greek legend.
    R: ΒΑΣΙΛΕΥΣ / ΟΝΩΝΗΣ / ΝΕΙΚΗΣΑΣ / ΑΡΤΑΒΑΝΟΝ, Nike walking right; in right hand, palm; in front below palm monogram 26.
    Ecbatana Mint
    3.81g
    19mm
    Sellwood 60.5

Limes, Edessa, ominus1 and 12 others like this.
  8. Caesar_Augustus

Caesar_Augustus Well-Known Member

Here's a neat little one from very late in the Roman Empire's history.

John II Comnenus
    AE Half Tetarteron
    [​IMG]
    1118 - 1143 A.D., Thessaloniki Mint, null Officina
    2.72g, 17.0mm, 6H

Obverse: IC-XC,
    Christ nimbate, standing facing on footstool, wearing pallium and colobium, holding book of gospels, both hands at front

Reverse: IW DECPOT,
    Crowned bust of John facing, wearing jewelled chlamys, holding labarum and cross on globe

Exergue: null

Provenance: Ex. Rudnik Numismatics 2019

Reference: SBCV 1954

9. +VGO.DVCKS

Hey Wainnaminnit, @Mat, I liked it! The coin is definitely worth a second look. ...But, Yeah, Public Service Announcement, take a look at his thread!!!

Limes, ominus1 and Theodosius like this.
  10. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

These three arrived in yesterday's mail, two from @John Anthony and one from @Justin Lee! I've been cataloging them and putting them into my collection on this Saturday night.

Scepter-holding was a common activity among Greco-Roman deities, apparently. If they weren't holding a scepter, they were holding a cornucopiae or two.

Constantine I IOVI CONSERVATORI AVGG NN follis Thessalonica.jpg
    Constantine I, AD 307-337.
    Roman billion follis, 3.56 g, 23.6 mm, 6 h.
    Thessalonica, AD 312-13.
    Obv: IMP C CONSTANTINVS P F AVG, laureate and cuirassed bust, right.
    Rev: IOVI CONSERVATORI AVGG NN, Jupiter, chlamys draped over left shoulder, standing front, head left, holding Victory on globe in right hand and leaning on scepter with left hand; at feet to left, eagle holding wreath in beak; -/-//•TS•Є•.
    Refs: RIC vi, p. 519, 61b; Cohen 310; RCV 15972.

Licinius I IOVI CONSERVATORI AVGG follis Heraclea.jpg Licinius I, AD 308-324.
    Roman billon follis, 3.34 g, 22.4 mm, 7 h.
    Heraclea, AD 313.
    Obv: IMP C VAL LICIN LICINIVS P F AVG, laureate head, right.
    Rev: IOVI CONSER-VATORI AVGG or IOVI CONSER-VATORI AVGG: Jupiter, chlamys draped over left shoulder, standing front, head left, holding Victory on globe in right hand and leaning on scepter with left hand; at feet to left, eagle holding wreath in beak; -/Γ//SMHT.
    Refs: RIC vi, p. 541, 73; Cohen 108; RCV 15240.

Mamaea VENVS FELIX S C as.jpg Julia Mamaea, AD 222-235.
    Roman Æ as, 11.07 g, 24.8 mm, 1 h.
    Rome, 4th emission, AD 224.
    Obv: IVLIA MAMAEA AVGVSTA, diademed and draped bust, right.
    Rev: VENVS FELIX S C, Venus seated left, holding Cupid in extended right hand and vertical scepter in left hand.
    Refs: RIC 703; BMCRE 202-3; Cohen 70; RCV 8248.

Limes, IMP Shogun, Edessa and 14 others like this.
  11. Sulla80

Sulla80 Well-Known Member

Reading what I can find on this Lycian League 1/4 drachm...
    LYCIAN Masicytes 0.25 Drachm.jpg
    Lycian League, Masicytes, circa 27-20 BC, 1/4 Drachm
    Obv: Draped bust of Artemis left, with bow and quiver over shoulder.
    Rev: Λ - Y / M - A. Quiver; aphlaston to left; all within incuse square
    Size: 0.95g, 12mm
    Ref: Troxell 138

Limes, Edessa, Orielensis and 11 others like this.
  12. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

ominus1 and +VGO.DVCKS like this.
  13. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

I think he is talking about silvering his hair!

John

14. +VGO.DVCKS

...After the last few years, who needs any help with that?

ominus1 and Theodosius like this.
  15. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Photographed and did a bit more research into this nice bronze of Skotussa. It is the same type as BCD Thessaly I 1343, the catalogue notes of which are interesting for highlighting a disagreement between the cataloger (Alan Walker) and the consigner (BCD) regarding who's depicted on the obverse of the coin.

THESSALY Skotussa - AE Dichalkon Horse ex BCD 2753.JPG THESSALY, Skotussa
    AE Trichalkon. 5.38g, 20mm. THESSALY, Skotoussa, late 3rd century - 2nd century BC. Rogers 546 var. (ethnic); BCD Thessaly I 1343; HGC 4, 615. O: Head of Athena right, wearing close-fitting helmet adorned with crest and plume. R: Bridled horse prancing right; ΣKO below.
    Ex BCD Collection (with his handwritten tag noting, "T/ne ex Thessaly, Oct. 86, 8000 dr")
    Alan Walker, in Nomos Auction 4 notes: "This coin type is usually dated to the 3rd century BC but it probably is later, almost certainly 2nd century. This is because the helmet of Athena is strikingly similar in basic form to that worn by Roma on early denarii, struck from c. 211 until the earlier 2nd century (as Crawford 51 ff. - of course the Roma's helmet bears a wing rather than a plume, but the shape is the same)."
    BCD notes: "Head, in his Historia Numorum 2, p. 310, identified the obverse of this and of the next lot as "Ares(?)" and this writer tends to agree with him rather than with ASW. Admittedly, the similarity with the obverses of lots 1257 and 1258 above is not striking but, then, the Skotussa coins are much later."

Limes, Edessa, Johndakerftw and 10 others like this.
  16. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..ah...so it seems @Alegandron (& probably quiet a few others:p)..are actin' like folks from Missoura...next Saturday night, i will post before & after pics to quell the unbelievers(without giving away the secret, of couse:D) traveling med show.jpg

Last edited: Oct 4, 2020
    Theodosius and +VGO.DVCKS like this.
  17. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

Not sharing is not caring.....

18. +VGO.DVCKS

@Clavdivs, No! Savor the anticipation! Like with a coin arriving from Europe....

ominus1 likes this.
  19. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..i aint sure that's what Clavdivs is talkin' about, but yeah, its Sunday here now...:)

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  20. Orange Julius

Orange Julius Well-Known Member

Nice coins! I've always wanted to get some Spanish stuff from the time of Columbus and the voyages to the Americas but know nothing about them.

As comprehensive as that site is, I've found quite a few coins not included. I've submitted quiet a few but never have gotten a response or had them posted. It still may be worth it though.

That's a beauty! I really like the dark look. I need to get into these coins!

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  21. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

I have also sent the Tacitus to be added to the site in 2015 but as far as I know it wasn't.

Draft saved Draft deleted