Saturday Night Free For All

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Orange Julius, Dec 1, 2019.

1. Orielensis

Orielensis Well-Known Member

Of course!

Details for the first one:

Cologne, City, BI heller ("Möhrchen"), ca. 1676–1677 AD. Obv: three crowns (arms of Cologne) above line and tendril. Rev: negative design (bracteate). 11mm, 0.15g. Ref: Noss 486.

For the second one:
    Kamenz, City, CU "Kipperpfennig", 1622 AD. Obv: eagle's wing with clover, value number "I". Rev: negative design (bracteate). 12mm, 0.16g. Ref: Slg. Merseburger 2753; Rahnenführer/Krug 271.

Both coins are very late for bracteate issues; indeed they constitute some of the latest coins in the bracteate tradition. (I have posted a number of earlier examples and a write-up here.) Especially the Kamenz pfennig is interesting since it attests to the "Kipper- und Wipperzeit," a period of financial crisis during the early years of the Thirty Years War. Originally silver or billon pennies were often debased to copper during that time.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. robinjojo

robinjojo Well-Known Member

I just posted this coin today as a thread on the World Coins Forum, for those who might be interested.

D-Camera Spain, Philip IV, 50 Reales, Segovia, Assayer R, Superior 1997, 8-30-20.jpg

4. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

How many do you have of Faustina II?

5. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Only 107. :(

6. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

Do you have any idea how many there are altogether?

7. Roman Collector

With provincials, at least a thousand.

+VGO.DVCKS and DonnaML like this.
  8. Ocatarinetabellatchitchix

Ocatarinetabellatchitchix Well-Known Member

YOUR WIFE IS DEFINETLY NOT JEALOUS...

11F7EC4A-CB2C-4F40-B9AC-B49F6B44CB63.jpeg

9. Sulla80

Sulla80 Well-Known Member

90 year old glass looks pretty impressive. Inevitably I want to try to guess who's bulbous nose and furrowed brow that is? Caracalla?
    Of course a game of "find the hair" can be entertaining...
    find-hair.jpg

Last edited: Aug 30, 2020
  10. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

I am concerned about your lust for female inanimate objects...

We need to talk...

:)

Ryro, +VGO.DVCKS, DonnaML and 2 others like this.
  11. Finn235

Finn235 Well-Known Member

Not sure how to say it, but...

I cheated on my ancient coins to go back to my first serious fling - Japanese coins and notes

Hansatsu, Tokugawa era local scrip, printed on card stock, and addictively cheap and intriguing

Obama-han, 1798, note for a measure of rice
    Japan hansatsu obama-han 1798 one monme two sho rice.jpg

Haven't been able to figure out the province, but good for one monme silver, dated 1777
    Japan Hansatsu one monme silver 1777.jpg

12. robinjojo

robinjojo Well-Known Member

I like the second photo.

The shading give the coin's elements more depth. It also makes for a more dramatic presentation.

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  13. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

Great question. There’s a broken flan, but the reverse is pretty too

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  14. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

To me, the natural is probably closer to in-hand, and the LED is what I’d consider a “True view” style glamour shot

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  15. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

This week got a Carausius from the old CGB stock, a really ugly coin that's somehow adorable:

carausius.jpg
    AE18mm billon antoninian/aurelian irregular mint in Britain, ca. 286.
    IMP CARAVSI[VS AVG]; radiate, cuirassed and draped bust right, seen three quarters from front
    [P]A -X AV[G]; Pax to left, holding a laurel branch in right hand and a vertical scepter in left hand;
    RIC V 881

Notes: This specimen is part of an early series of irregular and rather peculiar style of radiate coppers, being of a semi-barbarous appearance. Different propositions were added about the whereabouts of the mint issuing these, some considering it a continental issue, perhaps similar to the one minting the semi-barbarous coinage of the Tetrici in the 270s. Another and more favored opinion is that the mint was in Britain.

Similar specimen, here. More about the coinage of Carausius, here.

I never thought I'd become interested in the British breakaway empire but I think I just did.

16. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

...now imma have to listen to one o muy favorite tunes...:D free for all.png

Roman Collector and seth77 like this.
  17. +VGO.DVCKS

+VGO.DVCKS Well-Known Member

Jamesicus, I So Resonate with your appreciation of this (sustained, but...) moment in Roman coin lettering. The legends look as if they were lifted directly from contemporaneous monument inscriptions.

Roman Collector and jamesicus like this.
  18. +VGO.DVCKS

19. +VGO.DVCKS

Very cool, Orielensis. I had exactly no idea that bracteates were still being issued that late. ...Wow. Thirty Years' War. Quite a stretch (mentally, for one) from the 12th century!

Orielensis likes this.
  20. +VGO.DVCKS

Very, Very Cool, Finn235. Alan DeShazo, a published numismatist (The Celator, for one) and linguistic polymath, turned me on to Japanese prints, from Hokusai to early Manga (yes, before comic books). Especially with that as context, those are brilliant.

21. Roman Collector

Marcus says it's hip to be square!

Here's a smooth sestertius on a Saturday night.

Marcus Aurelius TR POT XXI IMP IIII COS III S C Victory sestertius.jpg Marcus Aurelius, AD 161-180.
    Roman orichalcum sestertius, 24.15 g, 31.0 mm, 11 h.
    Rome, AD 166-167.
    Obv: M ANTONINVS AVG ARM PARTH MAX, laureate head, right.
    Rev: TR POT XXI IMP IIII COS III S C, Victory standing left, holding wreath and palm frond.
    Refs: RIC 948; BMCRE 1318-20; Cohen 815; RCV 5011; MIR 151.

Draft saved Draft deleted