SATRAPS

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by PMONNEY, Jan 1, 2018.

1. PMONNEY

PMONNEY Flaminivs

S A T R A P S
    The Kings of Persia, during the Achaemenid period, appointed governors (satraps) to administer in their name,...and benefit, conquered provinces and collect local taxes. Otherwise the preceding institutions remained in place. This system, set up by Darius I (522-486) comprised 20 provinces of the first- Persian Empire and Median province, it continued until the said provinces were, in turn, conquered by Alexander the Great.

Here are four coins struck for satraps, the coins of Cilicia and Lydia:

- MYSIA, Astyra,. Tissaphernes, satrap of Lydia and Caria. Head of Athena wearing Attic helmet r. Rev.:Tissaphernes holding spear, riding hors r. Mint: Astyra. 413-395 BC. AE (1,01gr. /10mm.) RR.Ref.:Axel Winzer 29.6.3, Sig. Kl 255.

- LYDIA, , Gamerses satrap, eunuch. Youthful head r., wearing short hair with long braid, earring and necklace. Rev.: Bearded Zeus, wearing himation, standing r., holding eagle on his outstretched l. hand, long scepter with his r. hand; in field l., star “ΓAMEPΣOY“, The coin was probably minted in a fortress situated in the Tmolos-Mountains, not far away from the old Lydian capital Sardeis.”Circa 400 BC. AE (1,29gr./11mm.). RARE. Ref.: M.K. und J. Nollé, Gamerses. Überlegungen zur Identität eines lokalen Münzherrn im Achämenidenreich, in: FS P.R. Franke, 1996, 197ff. mit Taf. 8, 1a-b. SM 168, pp. 113-6; BMC Troas -; SNG Copenhagen -; SNG von Aulock, Laffaille,. Schultz, SM 168, pg. 113-116;

- IONIA,. Spithridates. Satrap of Lydia and Ionia, circa 334 BC. JE 11mm (1.08 gr., 11h). Head of satrap right, wearing Persian headdress / Forepart of horse right; monogram to upper left. Babelon, Perses 380; SNG Copenhagen 1538; SNG von Aulock 1823; Klein 367. Good VF, dark green patina.

-CILICIA, Uncertain. 4th century BC. AR Obol (11mm, /0.57 gr, 3h). Turreted and draped bust of Tyche (orTyche-Aphrodite) left / Head of satrap left; star before. Göktürk 52; Winzer 18.3 (Mazaios); SNG von Aulock 8657; Traité II 1182 (Evagoras II); BMC Cyprus p. cx, 15 (Evagoras II).
    upload_2018-1-1_12-0-11.png
    View attachment 721180 (Lydia) View attachment 721180
    Please, also show your Satraps. satrapbest.jpg
    upload_2018-1-1_12-11-56.png (Lydia)

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Cool and interesting!!

Whether by 'satrap' or RR 'moneyer', there always seems to be yet another way to focus our coin collections:eek:;)

The closest I have is a strap appointed by Alexander during the initial minted of his 'series' so i'll have to enjoy viewing all the posts that follow.

4. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Interesting approach @PMONNEY .

When I found this coin, I snapped it up. I knew this story at the Battle of Granicus, Alexander II's first battle with the Persians.
    upload_2018-1-1_11-2-53.png
    Persian Empire
    Spithridates, Achaemenid satrap of Sparda (Lydia and Ionia)
    ca 334 BC
    AE10, 1.20g
    Obv: Head of satrap r., wearing Persian headdress
    Rev: Forepart of galloping horse r., monogram above, Greek PI below
    Ref: VA 1823, Klein 367, Cop 1538

"Spithridates was one of the tragic heroes of the first of four great battles won by Alexander the Great as he progressed eastward from Western Asia Minor, through the Persian realm, all the way to India. Although the veracity of historical accounts purporting to depict pitched battle minutiae can always be brought into some question, Arrian's chronicle of [the Battle of] Granicus easily captures the imagination, valiantly thrusting the Macedinonian king into center field at the helm of his troops, cutting down opposing leaders while barely escaping their own mortal blows... The closest of the latter calls was apparently a deadly swing of Spithridates' scimitar aimed at Alexander, negated in the last moment through a nifty move by Cleitus, son of Dropides... The rest was, as they say - history, and regardless of whether one believes that Spithridates was truly within a hair of irrevocably changing it [Western History]"

5. TJC

TJC Well-Known Member

I have no satraps or anything similar but those are cool coins!! Someday when I am looking in the Greek direction of collecting I would like one of the type.

Alegandron likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted