Satin Finish Quarters?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by SorenCoins, Jul 28, 2019.

1. SorenCoins

SorenCoins Well-Known Member

Hi all. I've heard that all mint sets produced from 2005-2010 contain satin finish coins. I recently was gifted this little "flip-pack," and although I don't have a picture of mine, I found one on the internet because it works for my question. Are these little sets made with business strike coins or satin finish coins?

[​IMG]
    https://coinsofamerica.com/american-samoa-quarter-collection/

Thanks,

Soren.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Beats the devil out me. The only way you have determining if the coins are 'satin' is to buy an original mint set. Aftermarket stuff is questionable. I can't sometimes tell the difference between business strike and satin....

Autoturf likes this.
  4. Autoturf

Autoturf Well-Known Member

I don't know if it will help, the satin finish is applied after coin is struck. , If they were removed from mint sets than it is, but I don't know, I took a pic of not satin, and verified satin on the Right. hard to tell the burnished is not as shiney. IMG_20190728_194443523.jpg They did not promote it as burnished or satin so they may have taken them from mint rolls? oops

SorenCoins likes this.
  5. SorenCoins

Interesting! Thanks for that comparison. I think I just truthfully haven''t seen enough satin finishes to tell the difference.

Autoturf likes this.
  6. SorenCoins

They say the quarters are "Uncirculated" on the pack, but hard to know if that means business or satin finishes.

mikenoodle and Autoturf like this.
  7. Autoturf

Probably easier to tell in person, MS coins fresh from rolls are more shiney, burnishing takes the shine off some, then they call it satin.

SorenCoins likes this.
  8. Autoturf

Just my opinion is its cheaper to find an 09 auction with no reserve and buy the whole set. get like 14.50 in mint coins, plus the copper lincolns p and D and the satin one of everything. expect to pay around 30$ I got lucky, seen one the guy was taking offers, I offered/ purchased 2 for 24 each. opened one and separated, one in storage.

Attached Files:

SorenCoins likes this.
  9. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Nice looking but I can't help you on this.

SorenCoins likes this.
  10. LakeEffect

LakeEffect Average Circulated Supporter

Since this is a re-packaged, third-party offering, I would bet a glazed donut they are BU business strikes. One could buy 100-piece rolls or bags for $32.95 from the Mint in 2010, while a satin-finish Unc Set cost $27.95 and contained only 10 quarters (2 of each design).

They bought 100 piece bags, put 2 in a slick package, and sell it for $5.45.

A quick comparison with a shiny new quarter received in change would probably show them to be the same finish.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
    SorenCoins likes this.
  11. SorenCoins

Thanks guys. Everything you all said is extremely helpful and useful information. I'm going to have to say theyre bu business strikes because theyre quite shiny and don't quite look sandblasted.
    Nice! I think I have some from around 2007ish?

Autoturf likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted