Satin finish dime?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by bugo, Apr 26, 2015.

1. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

I have a 2009-D dime that was graded by PCGS. The grade is SP68FB. The slab says "Satin Finish". What exactly is a satin finish coin? What is SP? What does FB mean? "Full bands"? I'm pretty sure it isn't silver, or is it? The dime appears to my uneducated eyes to be a regular dime.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

In 2005, the Mint began producing the Uncirculated Mint Sets in a satin finish rather than the standard finish of coins intended for circulation. They used a combination of glass beads and granules of sand to blast the surface of the dies. It wasn't too many years later (can't remember the exact year) that they discontinued the satin finish. It's my guess that this was done because the finish on the dies didn't hold up too well, but that's just my opinion.

Silver was not used for any of the satin finish coins. I don't think they use "FB" (Full Bands) on Rosies. I believe they use "FT" (Full Torch).

Chris

Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
    Seattlite86, bugo and coinman1234 like this.
  4. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Specimen.......meaning out of the ordinary.

bugo likes this.
  5. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

The slab clearly says "FB".

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. cpm9ball

@bugo

PCGS does have their own way of doing things, but not always is it the best.

Chris

7. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

It says FB because the only thing PCGS looks at is the 2 bands. NGC on the other hand looks at the entire torch.

bugo likes this.
  8. jonny oneal

jonny oneal Member

given the mintage figures for 2009 dimes and nickels, what is the value of this coin? thanks. I have several ungraded nickels and dimes I found in circulation and trying to decide if keeping them will pay off in the long run when i sell my collection in 20 years. thanks again.

9. SawtoothJack

SawtoothJack New Member

Technically, it means specimen proof.

10. cpm9ball

I believe it stands for "SPecimen", not "Specimen Proof". If you search for the 1998S Kennedy, you will find that PCGS originally graded them MS but then changed to "SP" for Specimen because of the matte finish.

Chris

11. SawtoothJack

SawtoothJack New Member

Ah, ok. Wasn’t sure. I read otherwise somewhere, but can’t remember the source.

12. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

SawtoothJack likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted