Sassanian drachm - need assistance with ID

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by robinjojo, May 1, 2022.

1. robinjojo

robinjojo Well-Known Member

I was at my local coin shop yesterday. There are others, but they don't have the stock of world coins and ancients as my favorite shop in Willow Glen.

I was going through a box of mostly worn LRBs, with some Alexandrian tetradrachms and earlier Roman bronzes. On top was this Sassanian drachm. I know really nothing about this coinage, other than it is Sassanian, which really isn't saying very much. So, I told Sal that I would post it on CT for those folks who know a whole lot more about these drachms.

It weighs 4.05 grams

Could this be a drachm of Valkash?

D-Camera Sassanian Kingdom drachm possibly Valkash 4.05g Sal 5-1-22.jpg

Thanks!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Parthicus

Parthicus Well-Known Member

Wow, a Sasanian drachm posted for ID that's not Khusro II! :woot: I can see why you guessed Valkash, but close examination of the crown and the inscription before the portrait make me think this is Varahran V (420-439). Mintmark on reverse is a little hard to read but may be AY (Airan Khurra Shahpur). A neat find for a local coin shop!

4. robinjojo

Thank you!

I was surprised to find this coin in a box of dark, mostly worn late Roman bronzes, but I think it was just thrown in at some point.

5. Spaniard

Spaniard Well-Known Member

Nice pick up....I think Valkash coins all have a double border on the obverse? Could also be an AL mintmark but I'm not sure

Last edited: May 1, 2022
    +VGO.DVCKS and robinjojo like this.
  6. nerosmyfavorite68

nerosmyfavorite68 Well-Known Member

Where's Airan Khurra Shahpur?

7. Parthicus

Parthicus Well-Known Member

@nerosmyfavorite68 : Airan Khurra Shahpur (also spelled Eran-khvarrah-Shapur) was a city in Khuzistan Province, near the border with what is now southern Iraq. And that's all the info I can find on that city right now.

robinjojo and Spaniard like this.
  8. nerosmyfavorite68

9. nerosmyfavorite68

Pick bins are fun. The last one I remember doing was a Jon Kern one, c. 2010 (if one counts different priced bags as a pick bin).

Did you end up buying the coin? (the post made it a bit unclear). If it's not too much, I would snap it up if I were you.

robinjojo likes this.
  10. nerosmyfavorite68

I noticed the Sassanians tended to have some small town mints. Why? For military pay?

11. robinjojo

Yes, going through a box of loose mixed ancients can be a nice way to pass the time. I need to talk to the dealer in a couple of weeks, when he returns to the shop. I do not collect this series in any comprehensive way, so perhaps this drachm would be a nice type coin.

12. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Jonathan Kern was one of my favorite dealers back when he had bags after bags of pick out coins. Some were even 'Your choice $500' but I got more from the $20-50 ones. I recall him having a bag with nothing but Tiberius Tribute Pennies and another with Athenian owls but I was usually in the third century silver bags.

robinjojo likes this.
  13. dltsrq

dltsrq Grumpy Old Man

I bought a lot of great things from Jonathan over the years. I recall that back in the '90s, he had a ton (and I mean a hoard weighing a full, literal ton!) of Judaean 'widow's mites'. Choice VFs were $15 or so. The good ol' days!

14. ancientone

ancientone Well-Known Member

I went to see Jonathan at his shop here in Lexington a few years ago. He had a silver ingot from the Atocha on the floor being used as a door stop.

Draft saved Draft deleted