Sasanian - Ardashir III

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by dougsmit, Feb 17, 2016.

1. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Tonight's 'new to me' is an AR drachm of the Sasanian king Ardashir III. A grandson of the most common Sasanian ruler Khusru II, the 8 year old Ardashir's reign started in one year and ended in the next for a total of about 7 months so we get some like this dated year two. I'm reading the mint as AY but I am not certain on this.
    oa1050fd2434.jpg
    Ardashir's coins look very much like his grandfather's but he has no beard and there are a few other distinctions even if you do not read the legends. My bad attitude says why pay more for a coin that looks so much like a common coin but, thinking about it, coins of Tetricus I, Marius and Domitianus II all look a lot alike as well and we make a big deal about those differences. For comparison, below is a Khushu II drachm. How much more is a coin from a 7 month reign of a child compared to a 38 year reign of a major figure?
    oa1010bb2483.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pellinore

Pellinore Well-Known Member

Well, Khusro II coins are pretty common, I wouldn't buy any (I have 3 or 4) except for rare types. Ardashir III I have too, one drachm, I paid 90 dollars for it, and gladly, because he's a rare king, succumbed young to the murder that was rife in his time. Also, I find Khusro II a stupid man. But his coins got copied by his remaining family, and by the Arabs, and by the Huns, and those coins I like and gladly pay for.
    The legends are easy to read if you have the Göbl book.

4. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

36 mm x 3.85 grams
    [​IMG]

5. Cyrrhus

Cyrrhus Well-Known Member

I never got around collecting coins from them, should start one day, I only have seal stone from them see my best example, very difficult business many fakes are created.
    IMG_0038.JPG IMG_0039.JPG IMG_0040.JPG

6. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Nice, that's a sweet Ardashir III addition, Mentor (congrats) ...

I don't have any examples of this guy, but I do have a not so common example showing his
    grandson, Khurso-II

khusro II.jpg

=> oh, and I also have a Sasanian Kingdom example of Peroz I

sassya.jpg sassyb.jpg

... hoping these guys are welcome in your Sassy coin-thread?

:rolleyes:

7. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Anoob: What is your reading of this mint?

Mikey Zee and Ancientnoob like this.
  8. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

If I were allowed only one coin to represent all Sasanians, I might like a Peroz like Steve's. They are hefty, well made coins - lovely to see, fun to hold - compared to the thin later ones.

dlhill132, stevex6 and chrsmat71 like this.
  9. Pellinore

17C.Xusro I.jpg This is my drachm of king Khosrow I (531-579), nicknamed Anushirvan, With The Immortal Soul, possibly one of the best kings ever. Mint Ardashir Khurra (Firuzabad), date 22 = 552.

10. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

i still only have 1 true sassanian coin! :bag:

grandpa...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Ancientnoob

I read the mint as AY as well. I believe this is the same coin mint and date as yours.

12. Ancientnoob

I see why you would choose a nice "mid point" but I ike Shapur I not really representative of the hole series but I think he did it quite well.

13. Pellinore

Shapur I looks really great on his coins.

8.Sapur I.jpg

14. Pellinore

19A.Late and nice.jpg

On this picture, we see Hormizd IV, the father of Khosrow II; then Khosrow himself with an ugly portrait, Khosrow with a fine portrait, and Ardashir III, the baby King. The first and the third coins have ominous c/ms: countermarking usually means downwards trodding and conquering.

15. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I have not seen the third coin before. What can you tell about the marks (who, when, where)? I had heard the first was a copy issue not just c/m's on official Sasanian coins. Do you agree?
    oo4720bb2478.jpg

16. Pellinore

I heard that too. I 'll try and find it out.

17. Laurentiu

Laurentiu New Member

18. Parthicus

Parthicus Well-Known Member

@Laurentiu: The coin you linked looks like it's Khusro I (531-579 AD), Year 46, mintmark BBA (Court Mint). Oh, and welcome to Coin Talk!

19. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

20. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

My little Sasanian collection (so far):

Screen Shot 2017-04-10 at 10.07.39 PM.png

@Pellinore, those Khusro I and Shapur I examples are incredible. :wideyed:

21. Laurentiu

Laurentiu New Member

@Parthicus Thanks a lot. I spent a few hours looking over some catalogs and I speculated it was Khusro I, but I wasn't very sure. I could barely make out his name, but the rest of the markings helped.

stevex6 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted