Sanity Check

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Gregg, May 6, 2021.

1. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

With gas cost almost $3 a gallon, you shouldn't worry about the cost of a coin. You need to worry about the cost of gas, food, toilet paper, and jelly beans. I filled my truck up yesterday and it cost me almost $38, and it is only a Tacoma. Think about the big trucks that eat up Diesel Fuel to get you bread and other staples. Although we aren't in terrible shape, we're heading there. You may want to think about the cost of living versus the cost of a coin.

masterswimmer and norantyki like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Same with me, only it's 2x4's.........couple of years ago I could get 'culls' for $1.50/$2.00............went to Home Depot last week and they're commanding $7.95 and they ain't even 8 foot long (96"). Shmucks.

4. MIGuy

MIGuy Supporter! Supporter

The cause of current timber prices is the decade of instability and low prices that followed the Great Recession, when America stopped building homes, leaving the lumber trade out to dry. The stunted recovery stripped the industry’s crucial middlemen—the mills themselves—to the bone. Building a new deck is expensive now because mills can’t ramp up to meet the demand surge—or won’t, nervous they’ll get caught with millions in underused machinery when prices crash back to earth. That's the fact, Jack.

5. Ana Silverbell

Ana Silverbell Well-Known Member

You mean shop at Ten Dollar Tree?

It is interesting to watch a spike in demand push prices up. The 1921-2021 fever has struck Morgan and Peace dollars. I kind of understand the Peace dollar price given its mintage and its historic interest but with 86,725,000 1921 P,D,S Morgans minted, even considering that a number of them were melted, I would think there isn't a shortage of supply. I guess this is what they call "hype."

tommyc03 and wxcoin like this.
  6. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

From a couple of outdoor projects the past few years I still have 3-4x6x10's and one 8 foot 6x6 stacked in the garage. Maybe I should sell them and buy the 1916 SLQ I've always wanted.

JimsOkay, Oldhoopster, Gregg and 4 others like this.
  7. Mike Thorne

Mike Thorne Well-Known Member

I think high grade (MS66 and up) Washington 25c (the real, silver ones) have been tanking forever. I was working on a Registry Set and got up to #10 but bought at the wrong time and overpaid like crazy. Most of my coins are now worth about half what I paid for them! So I quit throwing good money after bad. Now I'm working on Standing Liberty 25c and overpaying out the wazoo, but at least they're better looking than Washington 25c.

8. wxcoin

Steel was affected by Covid-19. Last summer there was a surplus so much of the steel mills shut down production. The same with other commodities such a gasoline. Remember when the spot price on crude went negative? Part of the gasoline problems is with transport. Many truckers got out of the business so there's a shortage of drivers to transport fuel to stations. I think everyone needs to be patient this year. Things will start leveling off in time.

9. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

You might want to look at Sacagaweas or presidential dollars. I don't think they've ever been out of the tank. :D

10. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP

I can never figure out the value of experts telling me inflation is a flat "X%". The average means absolutely nothing to the individual. All that matters is what you as an individual regularly need to purchase. Fuel is up about 20% in my area from a few months ago. An 8x4 sheet of OSB from home depot is up 3x since last year. An 8x4 sheet of unfinished plywood is $32 locally. Much higher in urban areas. This just happens to be happening after every adult in this country got thousands in stimulus over the past year. For the few extra gadgets or little bit of extra bills you were able to pay off with that, it may hurt all of us over the long run.

Getting back to the OP, I bought an NGC MS-61 1921 Peace for $300, 6 months ago. I don't know if that would be considered high or low (probably depends on who you talk to) but I'm glad I grabbed it. I don't think they'll be going down. It's really tough to find an attractive option of that date at an attractive price. If you want one....... you're gonna pay.

11. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Now that a major pipeline has been attacked with ransomware, let the rumbling begin.

12. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

Yes . . . The USD. You can get lots of those right now if you have stuff to sell that others want.

Copper lover and tommyc03 like this.
  13. wxcoin

14. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

You're in the wrong neighborhood . . . Etsy is a different website.

wxcoin likes this.
  15. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

I started looking at some eBay completed listings and noticed everything silver is going for crazy prices so I decided to sell off a bunch of stuff I can easily replace. I collect foreign and a lot of dealers don't realize how the market has picked up, so there's money to be made if you know what you're doing.

potty dollar 1878 likes this.
  16. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

Yes 1oz silver is going for around $40 insane.

17. Gregg

Gregg Monster Toning

Not trying to turn the screw here but I'm curious as to some examples you purchased high and what they sell now for at a low.

Also, was the high on those during the state quarters craze or did something else impact the price?

18. Gregg

Gregg Monster Toning

So I was recently involved in an auction at Heritage where I bid on a 1921 MS63. I'll grant you it was a nice example and I flipped out and bid too much putting my cap at $825.00 (twice what it was going for 6 months ago). I lost that auction - the last time I saw it the bid was at $1,100.00 without auction fees.

So me and Peace Dollars are going to take a break.

Source: Numismedia

upload_2021-5-18_11-0-37.png

19. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I only need one to complete a high grade set. Maybe I should be selling instead.

masterswimmer likes this.
  20. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

They were basically flat until it looked like we might get 2021's and then they started going up. We saw the same thing happen with 1909 cents just before 2009 and buffalo nickels before the 2001 buffalo dollar. and 1916 dimes and quarter before the gold versions. I wouldn't be surprised if they are back down in a few years.

tommyc03 and Gregg like this.
  21. john65999

john65999 Well-Known Member

HALF CENTS HAVE BEEN HISRICALLY UNDERVALUED..

wxcoin likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted