San Francisco Mint Tour?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Peter T Davis, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Peter T Davis

Peter T Davis Hammer at the Ready Moderator

I'm planning a trip to SF in the near future and looking for information about touring the Mint there. On their website, they have info about touring the Philly and Denver Mint, but that's it. http://www.usmint.gov/mint_tours/ Anyone know anything more about whether it is possible to get a tour in SF?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

Peter,

To my knowledge the SF Mint is not open to the public and they do not offer tours. (That was the case when I lived there in the 1980s and I have not heard of any change to that policy.)

The Old SF Mint has been remodelled and may be open for tours.

4. Peter T Davis

I think either the new or old would be interesting enough to visit.

5. Peter T Davis

Did some more searching, it seems that the Old Mint is now in the hands of the San Francisco Historical Society, and they're currently renovating it and expect to open it as the new Museum of the City of San Francisco in 2012.

6. krispy

krispy krispy

According to the US MINT web page, "Today, the United States Mint at San Francisco does not accommodate visitors, as all space is needed for personnel and machinery."

These (other) US Mint facilities offer Tours

SF love to know says, "San Francisco Mint tours ended in the early 1970s, but you can still enjoy the beauty of the building's exterior..."

This is also a nice page on the SF Mint history, The Mint Project

Originally posted on CT: 7/21/2009

7. krispy

krispy krispy

8. elijahhenry10

elijahhenry10 New Member

I think they should open up a tour for the SF mint. I mean, how many people do you know that live in California or the area that wants to travel to Denver or farther to tour a mint building? But who knows, I'm sure they'll open it eventually.

9. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

I wouldn't hold my breath. The New San Francisco Mint opened in 1937 and, to my knowledge, has never offered tours.

10. DMiller

DMiller Junior Member

It's a bummer - I live about 2 hours from SF and one of the things I really looked forward to upon moving here was touring the Mint. Such a shame they don't offer tours =(

That being said, there are many other wonders in SF to enjoy!

I hope this doesn't break any rules, but here's a photo I took on a recent trip. I definately recommend checking out the bridge!

[​IMG]
    Golden Gate Bridge I by A.R. Miller, on Flickr

11. 5dollarEdunote

5dollarEdunote Coin Connoisseur

I do wish it would be open for tours

You guys probably knew this, but the Old Mint, at least from what I have in front of me, is open for tours. From February 25th - 26th this year, they are having a coin show in the mint and giving complimentary tours. At $5 general admission, Im definitely going and it looks like fun

12. tenacious

tenacious Member

13. Peter T Davis

Shame, I'll miss that by a few days.

14. swhuck

swhuck Junior Member

The Old Mint used to have tours (I think they were self-guided) until the Loma Prieta quake in 1989.

The current SF mint is closed to the public and does not have scheduled tours. On infrequent occasions, they have had an open house for a day or two at a time, and I was able to tour the place that way once around 1988 or so. (I knew someone who knew someone, otherwise I never would have gotten in.)

FWIW, the place is fascinating, but very small, and unlike the Denver and Philadelphia facilities it would never be able to handle the load of regular tours.

15. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Yeah, should be interesting, How do thy get those towers and those cables to hold that cloud bank in place. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted