San Francisco Coin Show

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Ken Dorney, Jan 2, 2019.

1. CasualAg$

CasualAg$ Corvid Minions Collecting

I’ll be along on Saturday looking for Canadian Silver Dollars.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. DEA

DEA Well-Known Member

If I can figure out how to get there without driving, I will go. I live in the east bay and driving anywhere in the bay area is frustrating and sometimes pointless. It's not so much driving as stopping.

However, I must admit to driving to Concord for the East Bay-Concord Coin Show a week or so ago. That drive wasn't too bad. Maybe it was the rain that kept the morons off the road.

4. CasualAg$

It did not! I drove from the Sierra foothills to the Concord show. We morons are very persistent. (Actually, the Friday traffic was light, westbound, in the morning and we returned via Baypoint and the River Road.)

Being new to the sport, may I ask your opinion of the Concord show? How will the S. S. F. show compare?

5. DEA

DEA Well-Known Member

Oh, my! I don't know that my ignorant opinion is valid. This moron (or 'maroon' as Bugs Bunny pronounces it) has been to very few shows in the last year or two. Subjectively, I enjoyed it. I ran into a dealer I met at a Long Beach show and he had some interesting coins for me to look over. As for comparing Concord's show to the south SF's show, I can hardly remember a month ago so I will not try to predict how a future show will compare to a past show!

6. CasualAg$

@DEA, Thanks for the reply.

Maybe see you in South San Francisco...I’ll be looking for Canadian silver dollars and being chased away from tables heavy with Morgan’s. It seems, sometimes, like Morgans are the only coin being collected...

7. Aethelred

Aethelred The Old Dead King

I have a feeling @GDJMSP is making reference to my (perfectly reasonable) request for a forum dedicated to "Pre 1960, softcover, numismatic reference books that were self published."

Valentinian, Alegandron and Nathan401 like this.
  8. DEA

DEA Well-Known Member

I think I know what you mean, CasualAg$. I was at the Concord-East Bay show and the San Francisco bourse (in November or December?) and there were plenty of Morgans and Peaces. However, I was pleasantly surprised with the German States coins I found at Concord. There was quite a showing at the SF of Germans, ancients and world; I was pleased as punch and happy I made the trip to the Bourse.

9. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Why no, I actually liked that idea myself :rolleyes:

By the way Dead King, have you considered any of the ads for the beach front property I'm selling ? :)

10. tibor

tibor Supporter! Supporter

Hope to see a show report.

@Ken Dorney That is some list. A real whose who. Is that the same Bruce McNall
    that owned the famous Wagner T-206 along with Wayne Gretzky?

11. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

Probably same guy. I am not so certain of his dealings in non-coin areas, but he was really into a lot of things (and you can check the CT archives, he wrote a book, 'Fun While It Lasted', highly recommended and used to be uber cheap for a used copy, but last time we discussed I imagine there was a demand, now $29 on Amazon, it used to be maybe $2 or $3 plus shipping). The point I as trying to make is that one can meet a lot of different people at coin shows. Some reprehensible (considering hindsight), some highly respected.

I still believe in coin shows. Some dont, I suppose...

12. Ken Dorney

Yes, I have actually seen this response before. I am still surprised. I would have thought that when an individual set up a website they would have included a show category. For most its just coins 101, but I guess it was not so for everyone.

Still, I get it, and actually I think it works out best for most collectors.

13. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

I went to that site and it is nearly empty. It does not even have the dates of the summer ANA in Chicago, the biggest show in the world. So, I looked for other sites and found CoinZip, which is very well populated with many shows. It has, for Illinois alone, 39 shows with dates this year, whereas CoinShows has only 5, each without dates.

http://www.coinzip.com/

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
    Theodosius likes this.
  14. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I was merely using that site as an example because it was the 1st one I thought of. As I suggested, if you use Google, you'll find many others.

15. Ken Dorney

That site is now largely defunct. Why? They went to a pay to list model. Shows wont be listed unless they pay for it. Its still cheaper to list a show in the few remaining print publications.

16. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

I use coinzip.

17. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

The ANA has a vested interest in promoting coin collecting. They could serve the hobby by having an up-to-date web page for coinshows. I wonder if they have thought of it and decided to leave it to for-profit websites?

Paul M. likes this.
  18. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I can't say I see any need for Coin Talk to get in the show promotion business other than continuing to allow us to mention here on the Ancients section that there is a show that is usually good for ancients coming up. I know this includes Baltimore MD in February
    http://expo.whitman.com/baltimore-spring-expo/
    Annandale VA in July
    http://www.annandalecoinshow.com/ACSshowinfo.html
    Fredericksburg VA in September
    http://www.vnaonline.org/2019-vna-convention.html

Those tend to be worth considering if close enough to you but I don't say everyone should fly cross country. I will also be attending my local Richmond VA shows but those lose value with distance even faster since they may only have a couple ancient specialty dealers. I know there are other shows that may interest non-ancient collectors but those can be promoted by fans in their sections of CT. This post was in ancients so I don't know anything about the value of these shows for other special interests.

19. jamesicus

jamesicus Well-Known Member

Did you know Dr. Arnold (Arnie) Saslow, Ken? He used to always attend the Long Beach shows circa 1960s to 1980s (?). He was a colorful, crusty curmudgeon and he and I used to have some interesting conversations. I often wonder what became of him.

20. Ken Dorney

Yep. I knew him well. In fact he at one point owned the San Francisco show. I dont know what became of him. I imagine he might still be in business, but on the East Coast (he was from New Jersey). It was always a joke amongst the dealers, nobody knew if he really was a 'Doctor'.

21. TIF

TIF Always learning.

It looks like he has (or had) an antique store in New Jersey. There are articles about him as recently as 2017 but the store's website is no longer working. A Google Maps street view shows the store there and apparently in business in June 2018.

Some pictures, articles, and links:

[​IMG]

https://www.njnewjersey.com/top-sto...-indian-jones-located-in-south-orange-nj.html

http://blog.nj.com/njv_barry_carter/2012/06/carter_from_african_tribal_mas.html

Theodosius and tibor like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted