San Francisco business strike quarters....

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Lawtoad, Apr 25, 2020.

1. Lawtoad

Lawtoad Well-Known Member

Last edited: Apr 25, 2020
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

They've been making ATB business strike quarters since like 2013?

NSP likes this.
  4. Lawtoad

Shows how out of touch I have been about current mint practices. It is funny that the U.S. Mint website still says San Fran produces proof and bullion coins, except it does say they do not mint circulating coins. I took that to mean proofs and special striking. I guess that is what I get when I assume.

furryfrog02 likes this.
  5. furryfrog02

I tend to stay away from 99.9% of the crap the mint spews out. I have run into probably 10-15 of these San Fran business strikes while roll searching quarters. Interesting but really nothing more than a gimmick.

6. gronnh20

gronnh20 Well-Known Member

Nothing better than the smell of money when opening a fresh bag of coins. Like a warm apple pie on the window sill.

DSCN0529.JPG DSCN0528.JPG DSCN0530.JPG

onecenter likes this.
  7. Long Beard

Long Beard Well-Known Member

Although it does not specify I would think the bags and rolls of San Francisco are proof versions. Again, it only states the composition not the finish and the proofs are clad. Don't forget, these are available to collectors or dealers only and not shipped to the reserve branches for distribution.

Inspector43 likes this.
  8. furryfrog02

Nope. They are business strikes.
    Here is a proof and a business strike from the same design I found CRH'ing
    16AUG19 Mt Hood 2010S Proof.jpg 20MAY19 2013S White Mountain Business Strike.jpg

9. gronnh20

gronnh20 Well-Known Member

Where the mint failed at gimmicks, was not salting the bags of P, D, and S mint quarters with W mint quarters. Like a limited number of quarters dispersed in random with the bags. Maybe you got one maybe you didn't. Maybe 5,000-10,000 salted coins.

10. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Furry those are 2 different designs.

11. Lawtoad

Need to add a page in the album for these S mint business strikes. It is true that in this hobby you always are learning or catching up.

furryfrog02 likes this.
  12. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

They're business strikes, but they don't perform business. They must be purchased above face value. They're really NCLT.

13. furryfrog02

Doh. How did I mess that up? lol

Michael K likes this.
  14. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I wonder why they stopped offering the $250 bags? ~ Chris

15. Paul_62

Paul_62 Just takin' it one day at a time

It began in 2012
    2012-S_164260-side.jpg

gronnh20 and CoinCorgi like this.
  16. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

You aren't really wrong, the S mint "business strikes" are a "special striking" because they are not released into circulation. They are for sale to collectors only. Yes you can spend them they are legal tender. And if you do they will circulate until some collector notices them and snaps them up. But you can spend and circulate proof coins too. Doesn't stop them from being "special strikings". As long as they are not made FOR circulation, they are "special".

Lawtoad likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted