San Fran Circulation Strikes in 2014?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by dimeguy, Feb 4, 2014.

1. dimeguy

dimeguy Dime Enthusiast

I haven't heard or read yet, but are 2014 S circulation strikes in the works? Also, has anyone found one in circulation yet?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Rassi

Rassi #GoCubs #FlyTheW #WeAreGood

Are you talking about ATB quarters? Were the "S" circulation strikes in 2012 and 2013 actually put into circulation? I thought they were only sold to collectors....

4. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

5. Rassi

Rassi #GoCubs #FlyTheW #WeAreGood

6. dimeguy

dimeguy Dime Enthusiast

Sorry, should have clarified...yes I was referring to the ATB quarters. As for their purpose I was assuming they were for circulation since they were business strikes; I didn't know they were only sold in rolls to collectors.

7. mikenoodle

yes, only sold in rolls and bags just like Kennedy Halves.

It kinda chaps my hide that they're not available in the Mint Sets

8. bdunnse

bdunnse Who dat?

But it makes it that much more cool when you do find one in change! :D

9. statequarterguy

statequarterguy Love Pucks

You have a better chance of winning the lottery than you do of finding an S mint in circulation.

10. statequarterguy

I'm a little surprised they're not in mint sets too. But then it's the mint, another missed opportunity to sell more mint sets.

11. mikenoodle

That's the thing, I don't think it would sell more Mint sets, in fact, 5 more quarters might make the set more expensive or cumbersome and push sales away.

12. dimeguy

dimeguy Dime Enthusiast

So am I reading that this entire San Fran business strike business was just a way for the mint to sponge a couple more bucks off of collectors since they are not intended to circulate? Granted, I'm keeping up to date on the series, so I'm going to get one of each anyway, but just seemed like a nice waste of resources.

13. mikenoodle

well, it makes the Mint a profit. That's hardly a waste.

14. statequarterguy

Not so sure about that. They'd only have to sell about 16,000 more mint sets to replace the revenue generated by selling the rolls & bags. If they were only in the mint sets, I would imagine they'd sell significantly more mint sets and I would imagine production costs would be lower that the cost of the rolls & bags. But then seigniorage would be less, so I'd have to play with it more.

15. C Jay

C Jay Member

You really couldn't make an S mint set without a business strike cent, nickle, dime, and dollars. They could include it in their yearly circulating ATB quarter sets.

16. mikenoodle

My point is that they make the coins and sell them to collectors, yet they don't include them in the Mint Sets. The Kennedy Half Dollars have been made for collectors only in rolls for years, yet they include them in the Mint Sets every year.

I mean, pick a lane. Which way do you want it? You put the halves in Mint Sets, and you make the S Mint ATB Quarters. Why don't you include them? What is the reason?

17. statequarterguy

You’re asking too much – that would require a rational business plan, based on what your customers want.

mikenoodle likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted