Samples?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Sam Stone, Jul 1, 2022.

1. Sam Stone

Sam Stone Old, fat, bald, gray, ugly, lazy, and married

By far, cointalk has been the most empathetic forum I've been able to find and I want to start by saying thank you. I have found I genuinely enjoy looking for are error coins and unique dollar bills. Unfortunately, I can only keep a few as being disabled means if I can sell what I find for just a very small amount above face value, I can contribute to the family's finances. I've collected a few bills with unusual serial numbers (ex: 2017 $1 bill, serial no. 00020240) and star notes but I have failed miserably when I would post these things on eBay. I can virtually copy a successful sale's verbiage and only get 2 or 3 total views. I can also offer a star note in pristine condition and not get a $1.01 offer. Clearly, I have zero experience with coins, selling coins, or eBay. So, keeping in mind I would almost take the 1¢ profit, but 2¢ helps the family twice as much, I have 2 questions: 1) is there a magic formula for selling interesting things, and 2) is there somewhere I can purchase a "demo" sampling of error coins? I have some coins that look like the photos online, but I can't be certain. For example, I wouldn't want to unintentionally deceive anyone by not knowing if a coin truly is double die or if my eyes just aren't that good. I absolutely can't understand die cracks. I've studied and studied but I think if I don't have an example in my hands I just don't know. My disability is a nuisance, and depending on the day I may or may not be able to retain what others learn much easier.

I'll stop here or I could write a 10,000 word essay, but be assured any and all input is appreciated more than I'm able to put into words. I wish you all the very best and thank you for your time.

Mickey in PDX, jamor1960 and expat like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

The correct numismatic terminology as actually Doubled Die.. But that's not important. Most Doubled Die issues are minor and don't really have a huge premium. Unless you find the famous ones like 1955, 1969 and 1972 Doubled Dies then they have big premiums. But to find those is very difficult.

Die Cracks are just Die Deterioration issues. Some collectors don't even consider then errors. Minor ones should not carry a premium.

I don't see anything really special about the serial number.

Sorry for all the bad news I have to offer. If you think you can make good money with all the minor issues found in circulation.. that won't happen.

The world of Mint Errors and Fancy Serial numbers is not that easy to dabble in especially when you want to make some money. The stuff you see being sold on eBay is ridiculous. People preying on newbies who don't know better. Buyers who are not experienced will by anything thinking they will get something special. Sad.

I've been dabbling with Mint Errors since 1986 and I have never made a Cent on any of them. Well that's because I've never thought to sell them at anytime.
    If I did I would probably make some pretty good money but it took me decades to put my collection together.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2022
  4. Sam Stone

Not bad news. I'm not expecting much at all. I'm unable to work so anything is more than I can contribute to the finances at the moment. I was a hospice administrator making a very healthy income, so disability has nibbled my ego down quite a bit. I simply want to bring in an occasional dollar or two because that's better than beating myself up knowing my family has to sacrifice every day.

5. Sam Stone

The serial number is just low and I've seen much higher numbers selling on eBay. That's probably one we will keep.

6. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

That's not low. Suckers on eBay will buy stuff not knowing better. :(

I edited my post above. Read it again.

Sam Stone likes this.
  7. Searcher64

Searcher64 Member

Any currency that has all the same numbers. like A77777777A. Star notes with low numbers like B00000001*or B10000000*or all the same, numbers are worth good money. They must be at least a very high-grade MS760-MS70.

Sam Stone likes this.
  8. Sam Stone

Thank you, sincerely, for the time and experience you have shared with me. I really would like to get some actual samples so I would understand better what I'm looking at (or not looking at). Thank you again.

paddyman98 likes this.
  9. Sam Stone

I may have noticed that. Thanks. I'll certainly keep it in mind. BTW, my wife works in retail and she brings me any silver or old coins that she sees. At one point, the store let her buy a large bag of foreign coins that they had accumulated for $5, if I remember correctly. At worst, that was a $5 educational package.

10. Searcher64

Searcher64 Member

At one time, one of our grocery stores would keep the rejects for me. I would get a lot of foreign coins in the lot over time. I have a friend that I went to school with that will exchange his coins with our type coins. You would be surprised. One guy I knew had many gum machines in several areas. Once he said he got some very strange "Yellow " coins in his gum machines. They were very old American gold coins way before the 1930s.

Sam Stone likes this.
  11. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

Ask anyone here...making money selling coins is hard. Your coins must have nice eye appeal. Not necessarily high grade coins either. Buy some books to really get to know what you want to sell. Error coins are awesome. Paddyman98 is our resident errors pro. He can answer all your error coin questions. I have some off center error coins, doubled die coins, wrong planchet coins (expensive, but worth it to me), clipped planchets. My doubled die coins are actually varieties. Good to know the difference for sure. I do have a few doubled die coins that are amazing.

Sam Stone likes this.
  12. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Supporter! Supporter

I purchase a lot of coins from eBay and what I look for is: Good photos that allow me to magnify them, low or free shipping, a seller history in good standing. Others, meh, I pass on them. If the seller can't post clear, in-focus photos, they must be trying to hide something.
    In order to make money, you have to spend money, and it sounds like your situation pretty much prohibits that, so you might just try selling what you come across to your local coin shop. Build a reputation with them and they can be really helpful, if they are honest. Good luck.

usmc 6123 and Sam Stone like this.
  13. Sam Stone

Wow! Bad luck there with the gold coins!! Did you help him dispose of his obviously weather toned trash? I've looked at values for foreign coins and a lot of them are worth more than their denomination, BUT not when shipping gets added. I have some Canadian coins that are flawless, BUT a dealer told me that's just because Canada makes better quality money. My son and I have accumulated a fair amount of silver, BUT those are the ones we would like to keep. I know everyone has their own unique opinion on that, BUT I'm interested in hearing any advice. Sorry I'm so repetitive today, BUT, thanks for your thoughts.

14. Sam Stone

We have some books and I have also spent a fair amount of time surfing the internet trying to learn. However, that may be my biggest obstacle. If I read five numismatics books, I sometimes find seven or eight different opinions on what, where, why, how, etc. I have visited two different dealers, but they weren't in the mood to answer remedial questions. Additionally, other forums and websites tend to be rude.
    Very disappointing.
    This is why I keep coming back here. I may get the same information, but not in a condescending or dismissive manner. Daniel's work on YouTube helps a lot, but I'm still not comfortable with what I think I'm seeing. I really would be interested in purchasing some samples so I can physically see "what is what" and "what is not." Again, this stoopid disability is more than a simple annoyance, but scouring through coins searching for something unique is quite enjoyable and helps me pass the time. So, thanks again for everyone's patience.

15. Sam Stone

Thank you for the kind advice. I won't forget it.

spirityoda likes this.
  16. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Many of our members are great, but some can be condescending or snarky. Please let any comments of this sort roll off your back.

Sam Stone likes this.
  17. Sam Stone

Thanks. Never been a problem here. When I was still able to work I was constantly reminded that there can be two very different sides to every story. Someone may be the greatest humanitarian alive, but that doesn't always translate into good communication skills.

Kentucky likes this.
  18. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

Which coin samples are you looking for ?

19. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

Make a trip to a local coin show or coin club meeting. There are always guys there who love to talk about the hobby and have examples around to show you what they are talking about. Besides they can help teach the good from the bad.

Sam Stone, Kentucky and spirityoda like this.
  20. Sam Stone

Sorry for the following 2,000 page book, but it was necessary to explain my son and myself's answer to this question. I respectfully request readers read to the end so we can get the return answers and advice we need. We're interested in seeing an actual die crack, doubled die, broad strikes, edge/rim/collar issues, clad vs. wear or other after mint imposters, and basically any other errors that are not varieties. This is something I very much enjoy but I'm also more visual than most and I've found I need to personally see these things because I can't touch, rotate, and see all rhe details in photos. We have found several different clad issues invluding black toned nickels, satin quarters, sun tainted everything, milky half dollars, exceptionally shiney, exceptionally dull, and "spooned" cents. We also have a steel cent with a "ghost" S mint mark above the D. When I posted a few photos on other forums I was told there's no such thing, proving that pictures can't capture the finest detail. When holding that coin, there can be no doubt it's there. It's perfectly proportional, exact match font, and undeniably there. I'm OK accepting it's only a novelty, but it feels like an insult when I'm told it's only paradoia.

For two years now, virtually no coin has left our home. I've collected and categorized them all by denomination, date, and mint. Unfortunately, I see a lot of them that look like errors or varieties, but I'm always shot down in forums. My son inherited thousands of coins my wife's father collected over 50 years, including 20 years worth of international coins traveling the world in the navy with more than 200 countries (some no longer in existence), provinces, territories, etc. His coins span from early 19th century to the coins I've added the last few years. Probably at least 10,000 total. I will continue to add because even if the new additions will never be more valuable than face value or less, he will be able to pass the growing collection down through future generations as novelties. I can't help him with most expenses, but this little bit by little bit I can. Maybe some coins that are normal by today's standards will become a rarity of some sort in the future.

I want to thank readers again for your time and patience with me and I wish you all the best.

21. Sam Stone

This is great advice! I just spent 2 hours (literally) responding to another question, but as soon as my brane comes back online I'm going to look some of these up. Thanks again.

Draft saved Draft deleted