Samosata mint in the 250s/60s

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Tejas, Dec 3, 2021.

1. Tejas

Tejas Well-Known Member

I bought a group of coins that are attributed to the Samosata mint. Samosata was a city in what is now eastern Anatolia at the border of modern Syria. I always considered the coins that are attributed to Samosata unattractive. However, when this group came up I could not resist.

Valerian I

Obv.: IMP C P LIC VALERIANVS PF AVG
    Rev.: RESTITVT ORIENTIS
    Mint: Samosata or Antioch
    Date: 255
    Weight: 4.21g, Diameter: 19mm

RIC V-1, 287

The coin appears to be all copper. Who is the figure that is presenting the laurel wreath to the emperor?

Screenshot 2021-12-03 at 13.39.14.png

Gallienus
    Obv.: IMP C P LIC GALLIENVS PF AVG
    Rev.: IOVI CONSERVATORI
    Mint: Samosata
    Date: AD 260
    Weight: 3.61 g, Diameter: 22mm

RIC V 440, Cunetio 1874

What is Jupiter handing to the emperor?

Screenshot 2021-12-03 at 13.38.03.png

Saloninus
    Obv.: SALON VALERIANVS NOB CAES
    Rev.: SPES PVBLICA
    Date: AD 256
    Weight: 3.45g, Diameter: 22mm
    RIC V-1, 36A Antioch

Screenshot 2021-12-03 at 13.38.38.png

Salonina
    Obv.: CORN SALONINA AVG
    Rev.: CONCORDIA AVGG
    Mint: Samosata
    Date: AD 255-258
    Weight: 2.9g; Diameter: 21mm

EF, with complete and lustrous silvering

Screenshot 2021-12-03 at 13.39.45.png

This one was not part of the group, but since it matches the theme:

Quietus

Obv.: IMP C FVL QVIETVS P F AVG
    Rev.: AP OLINI CONSERVA
    Date: Late 260
    Weight: 5.14g, Diameter 23mm

Screenshot 2021-12-03 at 14.50.36.png

I guess there is no certain way of distinguishing coins from Antioch from those of Samosata.

Please show us your Eastern Mint coins of Valerian, his family and the usurpers.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Orange Julius

Orange Julius Well-Known Member

My understanding (I may be wrong) was that eastern mint coins of this period were attributed by RIC to Antioch. While later references (Göbl) attributed the same coins to Samosata or “uncertain eastern mint” as the scholarship pointing to Antioch as the mint city was rethought.

Here’s a few of my favorite eastern mint Valerian coins.
    ValerianAntiochRICV-1-277.JPG
    ValerianAntiochRIC285.JPG
    …one more of Saloninus for fun.
    SaloninusAntiochRIC36.JPG

Last edited: Dec 3, 2021
  4. Tejas

Tejas Well-Known Member

Great coins, I love the two Valerian I Antoniniae.

Apparently large numbers of coins were minted in the eastern part of the Empire to finance the continuous conflict with the Persian Sassanid Empire. I suppose it is no surprise that the standard of these coins was lowered under the condition of war finance.

The main mint for these issues was Antiochia at the Orontes, which was the capital of the Syrian Province. During the time of Valerian and Gallienus Antiochia was twice conquered by the Sassanids, showing just how volatile the region must have been.

"A second eastern" mint was identified by Helene Huvelin and Pierre Bastien in a 1969 study of a large eastern hoard. Robert Göbl identified this "second eastern mint" to have been Samosata on the Eurphrates. Samosata seems to have minted in the period from 255 and 258 and again in 260/1, when it replaced Antioch, which at the time had fallen to the Sassanids.

The RESTITVT ORIENTIS issues that were minted at Samosata propagandistically announced the intended recovery of Antioch and the East. Valerian is known to have resided in Antioch in 254-55 and in May 258. In June/July 260 Valerian was captured by the Sassanids and famously never returned. A Persian inscription claims that both Antioch and Samosata had fallen to them.

However, in Samosata Macrianus Maior (who seemed to have been some kind of fiscal official) seized control and had his two sons Macrianus Minor and Quietus proclaimed emperors in 260. Coins were minted for the two usurpers at Samosata. The usurpation faltered in 261 and Gallienus managed to re-establish control over the east. Coins were struck for Gallienus at Samosata in AD 260/1.

Apparently these distinctive, low standard eastern issues were largely inflationary money produced to pay the troops and finance the campaigns against the Persians.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2021
  5. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

Great coins, @Tejas and @Orange Julius The information on Samosata/Antioch is very helpful (I am saving it in my permanent reference file).

Here are some Samosata/Antioch issues I have:

Gallienus - Ant. PIETAS lot Mar 2021 (0).jpg
    Gallienus Antoninianus
    (255-256 A.D.) (joint reign)
    Asia (RIC) Samosata (Göbl)

IMP CP LIC GALLIENVS AVG radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right / PIETAS AVGG, Gallienus and Valerian, standing face to face, sacrificing at altar; holding patera, sceptre, etc.
    RIC V 446; Göbl 1676m.
    (2.85 grams / 21 mm)
    eBay Mar. 2021 Lot @ $5.63
    Attribution Notes:
    Only Wildwinds describes RIC 446 as being from Rome.
    Bust is described as draped, but this also cuirassed. See:
    Nomos, Obolos Web Auction No. 4, Lot 757, 21.02.2016
    Leu Numismatik, Web Auction 15, Lot 2003, 27.2.2021

Valerian II Ant Spes Nov 2018 (0).jpg
    Valerian II Antoninianus
    (son of Gallienus)
    (c. 256-258 A.D.)
    Antioch or Samosata Mint

VALERIANVS NOBIL CAES, radiate, draped bust right / SPES PVBLICA, Spes advancing left, with flower, raising hem of robe.
    RIC 52A Antioch; Sear 10740; Göbl 1695b Samosata.
    (3.56 grams / 22 mm)
    eBay Nov. 2018

Valerian - RESTITVT ORIENS Nov 2018 (0).jpg
    Valerian I Antoninianus
    (c. 256-258 A.D.)
    Antioch or Samosata mint

IMP C P LIC VALERIANVS PF AVG, radiate, draped and cuirassed bust rt. / RESTITVT ORIENTIS, Orient, turreted, right presenting wreath to Valerian, in military attire, left.
    RIC 287c; RSC 189; Sear 9967
    (3.77 grams / 20 mm)
    eBay Oct. 2018

Valerian II - Ant IVENT lot Oct 2018 (0).jpg
    Valerian II Antoninianus
    (son of Gallienus)
    (c. 256-258 A.D.)
    Antioch or Samosata Mint

VALERIANVS NOBIL CAES, radiate, draped and cuirassed bust rt. / PRINC IVVENTVTIS prince standing crowning trophy to left, holding spear and shield.
    RIC 49; Göbl 1694b; RSC 67a.
    (3.26 grams / 21 x 18 mm)
    eBay Oct. 2018

6. Tejas

Tejas Well-Known Member

The Valerian II is great. I'm still looking out for such a coins from Antioch or Samosata.

Marsyas Mike likes this.
  7. Orielensis

Orielensis Well-Known Member

This is an interesting thread that deserves more attention and a bump. Mint locations for this period are a topic of debate.

Even when following Göbl's catalogue, it sometimes is hard to attribute single coins. For example, I believe this antoninian to be Göbl 1605c from Antioch, but it might as well be Göbl 1701i from Samosata. I don't have enough expertise to identify the style of the coin with certainty:
    Rom – Salonina, Antoninian, Romae aeternae.png
    Salonina, Roman Empire, BI antoninian, 255/6 AD, Antioch mint. Obv: SALONINA AVG; bust of Salonina, diademed, draped, on crescent, r. Rev: ROMAE AETERNAE; Gallienus, standing r., receiving Victory from Roma, seated l., holding spear in l. hand. 21mm, 3.83g. Ref: RIC V Salonina 67; MIR 36, 1605c.

This Gallienus is apparently from Antioch:
    Rom – Gallienus, Antoninian, Virtus Augusti (Herkules).png

Gallienus, Roman Empire, BI antoninian, 263/4 AD, Antioch mint. Obv: GALLIENVS P F AVG; bust of Gallienus, cuirassed, radiate, r. Rev: VIRTVS AVGVSTI; Hercules, standing r,, holding club in right hand and lion-skin in left hand (type of the Farnese Hercules). 21.5mm, 4.01g. Ref: RIC V Gallienus 672; MIR 36, 1616b.

Several issues from eastern mints are attributed to Viminacium or Siscia in RIC, which is not a good reference work for this period:
    Rom – Valerian, Antoninian, Merkur.png
    Valerian I, Roman Empire, AE/BI antoninian, 253–255 AD, Antioch mint (RIC: Viminacium) mint. Obv: IMP C P LIC VALE[RIANVS P] F AVG; bust of Valerian, radiate, draped, cuirassed, r. Rev: FORTVNA REDVX; Mercury, nude except for cloak draped over l. shoulder, standing left, wings on head, holding purse in r. hand and caduceus in l. hand. 22mm, 3.59g. RIC V Valerian 214; MIR 36, 1561a.

Rom – Salonina, Antoninian, Salus.png
    Salonina, Roman Empire, AE/BI antoninian, 265 AD, Antioch mint. (RIC: Siscia) Obv: SALONINA AVG; bust of Salonina, diademed, draped, on crescent, r. Rev: SALVS AVG; Salus, draped, standing r., feeding serpent held in arms. 23mm, 2.83g Ref: RIC V Salonina 88; MIR 36, 1656h.

8. Tejas

Tejas Well-Known Member

I have a similar piece:

Valerian I, 253 - 260
    Obv: IMP C P LIC VALERIANVS AVG
    Rev.: PIETATI AVGG
    Mint: Antioch (or Viminacium?)

RIC 219A Viminacium; Goebl 1563a Antioch; Sear 9956.

Screenshot 2021-12-06 at 13.35.35.png

Based on my own observations I tend to think that Göbl is right and that the coin is from Antioch rather than Viminacium.

I would argue that coins from Viminacium don't look anything like the issues from Syria. This is my nicest Valerian I from Viminacium.

Valerian I, 253 - 260
    Obv.: IMP P LIC VALERIANO AVG
    Rev.: FIDES MILITVM
    Mint: Viminacium
    Year: AD 253
    Weight: 4.06
    MIR 792d

Screenshot 2021-12-06 at 13.41.46.png

Last edited: Dec 6, 2021
  9. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

Happy to see this thread kept alive. Earlier this year I got a Valerian antoninianus that has be a little puzzled; RIC 227 VIRTVS, which OCRE says is from Viminacium,

Wildwinds also says Viminacium. However, the Wildwinds plate coin is listed on Vcoins, where the seller says it is from Antioch:
    https://www.vcoins.com/en/stores/ro...h_virtvs_avgg_very_scarce/561615/Default.aspx

Valerian - Ant. VIRTVS AVGG Sep 2021 (0).jpg
    Valerian I Antoninianus
    (256 A.D.)
    Viminacium Mint (Antioch?)

IMP C P LIC VALERIANVS PF AVG, radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right /
    VIRTVS AVGG, soldier standing left, right hand resting on shield, left hand holding spear.
    RIC 227; Göbl 1584b.
    (2.93 grams / 20 mm)
    eBay Sept. 2021
    Attribution Notes:
    OCRE and Wildwinds notes this as draped only, but this example is cuirassed as well; Wildwinds photo clearly shows cuirass.
    This appears to be scarce; I found only a couple examples; OCRE only has one.

Here's another one I had trouble with - the draped/cuirassed descriptions were all over the place:

Valerian - Ant. Saturn lot Mar 2021 (0a).jpg
    Valerian I Antoninianus
    (254-255 A.D.)
    Viminacium or Antioch Mint

IMP [C P LIC] VALERIANVS AVG, radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right /
    [AE]TERNITATI AVG[G], Saturn veiled, draped, standing right, holding scythe
    RIC 210; Göbl 1559a.
    (3.63 grams / 21 mm)
    eBay Mar. 2021
    Attribution Notes:
    RIC 210: Saturn holding scythe; bust draped only, but this one is cuirassed, as are others online.
    RIC: Viminacium Mint;
    Göbl: Antioch Mint
    RIC 67 (Rome): Saturn holding sceptre; obverse bust is cuirassed I could find no correctly-described examples.

A second Saturn type antoninianus of Valerian showed up in a lot a couple months later; it is pretty rough, but maybe this one is draped only, no cuirass?:

Valerian - Ant. Saturn lot May 2021 (0a).jpg

Here's another Viminacium/Antioch ant. for Valerian:

Valerian - Ant. IOVI PACTORIS RIC 218 Dec 2020 (0a) (1).jpg
    Valerian I Antoninianus
    n.d. (c. 254-255 A.D.)
    Viminacium or Antioch Mint

IMP C P L[IC VAL]ERIANVS AVG, radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right / PACATORI ORBIS, Jupiter seated left holding patera and scepter, eagle at feet.
    RIC 218; Göbl 1562a.
    (3.45 grams / 21 x 19 mm)
    eBay Dec. 2020

And another - like the one @Tejas shows above, Pietas leaning on a column (usually Securitas is shown in this insouciant pose, but the legends say PIETATI). This is one of my favorite Valerian portraits; he is gazing heavenward like Constantine:

Valerian Ant. PIETATI AVGG May 2018 (0).jpg
    Valerian I Antoninianus
    (c. 254-255 A.D.)
    Viminacium or Antioch mint

IMP C P LIC VALERIANVS AVG, radiate, draped bust right / PIETATI AVGG, Pietas standing left, holding sceptre leaning on column.
    RIC 219A Viminacium;
    Goebl 1563a Ant.; Sear 9956.
    (3.25 grams / 20 mm)
    eBay May 2018

10. Ocatarinetabellatchitchix

Ocatarinetabellatchitchix Well-Known Member

I’m a bit late for the party, but very interesting coins and thread. I’ll post what the Cunetio book has to say about your Gallienus 1874 and the mysterious « second eastern mint ».

B533CDCA-BEA6-4165-8C8B-13EAA80D0416.jpeg

7B07FEB0-13FE-4C9A-A89E-B3B1D8CD8095.jpeg

8DA2E84E-2C17-40BE-AE95-E6F40023453A.jpeg

11. Tejas

Tejas Well-Known Member

Many thanks, that is very helpful. So the object that Jupiter is handing to the Emperor is a globe. My coin is very sharp, but I would not have guessed that it is a globe. But a globe does of course make sense.

Screenshot 2021-12-06 at 18.31.08.png

12. Tejas

Tejas Well-Known Member

I get the impression that there is very little in the way of clear characteristics to decide whether a coin of that period is from Antioch or from Samosata (i.e. the second eastern mint).

I suppose that the situation is complicated by the fact that the coin standard (and possibly the designs) deteriorated rapidly, because of an accelerated emission to pay for the war against the Persians.

For example, the coin below is heavy and apparently of relatively good silver

Obv.: IMP VALERIANVS P F AVG
    Rev.: PM TR P V COS IIII P P
    Mint: Antioch
    Date: 256/257
    RIC 277

Screenshot 2021-12-06 at 18.37.54.png

While this coin, which I posted already above is very coppery billon. Yet, both coins are said to have been minted at Antioch:

Screenshot 2021-12-06 at 18.39.38.png

I think what happened is a rapid deterioration in the coin standard at Antioch.

Spaniard, Orange Julius, Bing and 2 others like this.
  13. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

I wish someone would compile recent hoard information to produce an updated account of the evidence for all this. Right now it just seems to be a mess!

A small note: it seems to me the style similarity between these portraits of Saloninus and Quietus indicates they are from the same mint, or at least the same mint workers:
    To add to the confusion, there is another mint for Quietus and Macrianus, here's an example:
    2763.jpg
    Here's a coin of Quietus (not mine) from this other mint, of cruder style than my Macrianus:
    Screen Shot 2021-12-06 at 11.46.55 AM.jpg
    Where are these coins from?? :confused: (Mattingly suggested Emesa; Gysen and Jacquier seem to accept this attribution, at least tentatively. Why, though?)

Last edited: Dec 6, 2021
  14. Tejas

Tejas Well-Known Member

Without claiming any expertise, I would have attributed all of the above coins to Antioch.

Marsyas Mike likes this.
  15. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Part of me wants to say I would prefer 'experts' separate the coins into groups labelled A, B, C etc. rather than tagging them with guesses based on weak evidence or strong hunches. That still leave open the possibility that later scholars will say A and B were the same city or the same workers who were reassigned to a different place or perhaps even a mint travelling with the emperor without adding to the mess that comes when city ID's are given as gospel. I like the situation with Sellwood Parthian. You can still use his numbers for the groups even though several of his attributions have been 'updated'.

16. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

If Turkey et al. had antiquities laws like the U.K. rather than the current draconian mess, we'd already know where all these mints were located based on find data. :(

Roman Collector likes this.
  17. Tejas

Tejas Well-Known Member

I think the historical dates, which I mentioned above should help. If Antioch was occupied by the Persians in AD 255 to 258 and again in 260-261, coins produced in that period were likely made by a mint other than Antioch and I think Samosata is a very reasonable proposition.

I think it is possible that the whole mint of Antioch (including the die engravers) were moved to Samosata in times of emergency. So it may just be that the mint of Antioch operated from different locations, which can be determined at best from historical events and find spot evidence, but not from stylistic characteristics.

Orielensis likes this.
  18. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

The ANS attributes this issue to Cyzicus, Göbl to Samosata, and RIC to Antioch. According to the introduction of RIC volume V, during Valerian's reign, some coins minted in Asia cannot certainly be attributed to either Antioch or Cyzicus (p.22-26). RIC dates this issue to AD 255-56.

[​IMG]
    Valerian I, AD 253-260.
    Roman AR antoninianus, 2.75 g, 20 mm, 7 h.
    Uncertain Eastern mint, 2nd emission, AD 256-260.
    Obv: IMP C P LIC VALERIANVS·P·F·AVG, radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right, seen from the front.
    Rev: PIETAS AVGG, Valerian, holding eagle-tipped scepter, and Gallienus, holding parazonium, standing facing each other, sacrificing over lighted altar between them.
    Refs: RIC 285; Göbl 1684e; Cohen/RSC 152; RCV 9955; Hunter 73.

Marsyas Mike, Bing and Johndakerftw like this.
  19. Tejas

Tejas Well-Known Member

If this date is correct, according to my information, the coin cannot have been issued at Antioch, which was under Persian control at the time. Hence, Samosata (or Cyzicus) are more likely places of production.

Roman Collector likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted