SALVS coins that don't depict Salus

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Roman Collector, Oct 28, 2018.

1. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Salus (Ὑγιεία -- Hygieia to the Greeks), being the daughter of Aesculapius and of Minerva, was worshiped as a goddess of health, safety, and the general welfare. This goddess is typically depicted as a woman clothed in the stola, either sitting or standing, feeding a serpent from a patera held in her extended hand. Serpents were, of course, the sacred animal of Aesculapius, and were felt to have supernatural healing powers (you may read more in this write-up I did about them a year and a half ago). It is in this form (which was doubtless that of her statues and with these symbols) that she is almost always depicted on coins on the imperial series from Galba to Maximianus. Here are a couple of typical examples, seated and standing:

Maximinus Salus Sestertius.jpg Orichalcum sestertius of Maximinus Thrax, RIC 85.

Salonina SALVS Antioch Antoninianus.jpg
    Billon antoninianus of Salonina, Göbl 1656h.

However, in the mid- to late-third century, the inscription SALVS expanded to include other gods and goddesses apart from Salus herself but who were similarly associated with healing. I have examples of such coins from this period depicting Apollo, Isis, and Aesculapius, which I post, below.

Let's see your SALVS coins or anything you feel is relevant!

Gallienus SALVS AVG antoninianus.jpg
    Gallienus, AD 253-268.
    Roman billon antoninianus, 3.77 g, 19 mm.
    Antioch, AD 267.
    Obv: GALLIENVS AVG, radiate and cuirassed bust, right.
    Rev: SALVS AVG, Apollo standing facing, head left, holding branch left, leaning on tripod right; PXV in exergue.
    Refs: RIC 610F; Göbl 1670k; Cohen 927; RCV 10346; Hunter, p. lxx.

Claudius II SALVS AVG Isis and sistrum.jpg
    Claudius II Gothicus, AD 268-270.
    Roman billon antoninianus, 4.07 g, 22.4 mm, 5 h.
    Antioch, officina 5, issue 1, end 268-end 269.
    Obv: IMP C CLAVDIVS AVG, radiate, draped and cuirassed bust, right.
    Rev: SALVS AVG, Isis standing left, holding sistrum and situla; Є in exergue.
    Refs: RIC 217A; MER/RIC temp 1024; Cohen 256; RCV 11370; Huvelin 1990, 10; Normanby 1109.

Postumus SALVS AVG antoninianus.jpg
    Postumus, AD 260-269.
    Roman Billon Antoninianus, 2.84 g, 21.1 mm.
    Cologne, AD 265-68.
    Obv: IMP C POSTVMVS PF AVG, radiate, draped and cuirassed bust, right.
    Rev: SALVS AVG, Aesculapius standing facing, head left, holding snake-entwined staff; globe at feet, right.
    Refs: RIC 86; Hunter 85, 86; Cohen 336; Sear 10985; DeWitte 280.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Silverlock

Silverlock Well-Known Member

I never noticed that Salus sometimes isn’t Salus. Thank you for this and your other interesting write ups.

ominus1 and Roman Collector like this.
  4. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Just Fortuna on this one, or Salus borrowing Fortuna's rudder to steer the personal health and safety of Postumus?

Postumus - Salus Fortuna 2802.jpg POSTUMUS
    Billon Antoninianus. 3.73g, 21.5mm. Trier mint, AD 262. RIC 85; Elmer 301; RSC 339. O: IMP C POSTVMVS P F AVG, radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right. R: SALVS AVG, Salus (or Fortuna) standing left, holding rudder and feeding serpent rising from altar to left.

And here's a Apollo Salutaris (Apollo the Health-Bringer), struck during a period when the Plague of Cyprian was killing off as many 5,000 a day in Rome.

Valerian - Apollo Salvtari 1903.jpg
    VALERIAN
    Billon Antoninianus. 2.82g, 20.5mm. Rome mint, AD 256-257. RIC 76; Cohen 28. O: IMP C P LIC VALERIANVS P F AVG, radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right. R: APOLL SALVTARI, Apollo standing left holding laurel branch in right hand and lyre resting on rock in left.

5. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

6. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Wow, @zumbly ! I've never seen one of those reverse types on a coin of Valerian anywhere else. :wideyed:

I only have the one issued by T-Bone, which is quite common:

Trebonianus Gallus APOLL SALVTARI antoninianus.jpg

Whoa! Nice apple-green patina, @randygeki !

7. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

8. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

Nice Salus coins, everyone. I now have two of the Claudius II Gothicus with Isis and SALVS. One is desert patinated, the other with some intact silver wash (another excuse for owning duplicates, I guess):

Claudisu II Isis SALVS silvery.JPG

Claudius II Isis SALVS AE.jpg
    Claudius II Æ Antoninianus
    (c. end 268 - end 269 A.D.)
    Antioch Mint
    Officina 5

IMP C CLAVDIVS AVG; radiate, draped bust right / SALVS AVG, Isis Faria standing facing, with sistrum and bucket; Є in ex.
    RIC 217; RIC Temp. 1024
    (3.34 grams / 21 mm)

Claudius II Æ Antoninianus (Silver Wash)
    (c. end 268 - end 269 A.D.)
    Antioch Mint
    Officina 5

IMP C CLAVDIVS AVG; radiate, draped bust right / SALVS AVG, Isis Faria standing
    facing, with sistrum and bucket; Є in ex.
    RIC 217; RIC Temp. 1024
    (2.69 grams / 20 mm)

9. zumbly

Same here. Despite it being rated common in RIC, I came up empty-handed when I tried finding another example.

10. Marsyas Mike

Forgot I had this one - Postumus with Aesculapius as SALVS:
    Postumus - Antoninianus Aesculapius Oct 2017 (0).jpg

Gallic Empire - Postumus
    (266 A.D.)
    Cologne Mint - Antoninianus

IMP C POSTVMVS P F AVG radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right / SALVS AVG, Aesculapius standing right, hand on staff entwined by snake, globe
    at feet. Cunetio 2435; Elmer 415; RIC 86.
    (3.23 grams / 21 mm)

11. zumbly

Another Postumus, though not a SALVS AVG, but a SALVS PROVINCIARVM. The legend and horned river-god Rhine reverse sought to spread the idea that the usurper Postumus was seeing to the welfare (or health) of the Gallic provinces.

Postumus - Horned Rhine.jpg
    POSTUMUS
    Billon Antoninianus. 3.56g, 22.5mm. Trier mint, 1st emission, 2nd phase, AD 260-261. RIC V 87; Mairat 1; AGK 88c; RSC 355b. O: IMP C POSTVMVS P F AVG, radiate, draped, and cuirassed bust right. R: SALVS PROVINCIARVM, horned river-god Rhine reclining left, resting on urn, holding anchor and resting hand on prow.

12. Marsyas Mike

You got me looking, Roman Collector...I just found two more, both Gallienus, Aesculapius and Apollo:
    Gallienus - SALVS Aesculapius Oct 2018.jpg
    Gallienus - SALVS Apollo Ant Feb 2018 (0).jpg

13. cmezner

cmezner do ut des Supporter

Trajan Sestertius
    32 mm, 24.38g; Rome, 108 - 111 AD
    Reference: Cohen 485; RIC II Trajan 515;
    Obverse: IMP CAES NERVAE TRAIANO AVG GER DAC P M TR P COS V P P laureate bust r., drapery on left shoulder
    Reverse: S P Q R OPTIMO PRINCIPI Salus seated left, feeding from patera a snake coiled around an altar; in ex. S C

#134-IMG_1961.jpg #134-IMG_1962.jpg

14. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

randygeki and Roman Collector like this.
  15. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Was a lucky find.

here's a better pic

100_6349.JPG

TIF, ominus1, Bing and 4 others like this.
  16. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

Plenty of "SALVS" in lrb territory:

Magnentius, double-centenionalis with chi-rho, SALVS DD NN AVG ET CAES:
    Screen Shot 2018-10-30 at 10.35.12 PM.jpg

Valentinian II, AE4, SALVS REIPVBLICAE, Victory dragging captive (I guess it is not the health of the latter being celebrated):
    Screen Shot 2018-10-30 at 10.36.59 PM.jpg

Aelia Flaccilla, SALVS REIPVBLICAE, Victory seated right, inscribing Christogram on shield set on a column:
    Screen Shot 2018-10-30 at 10.38.22 PM.jpg

TIF, ominus1, zumbly and 3 others like this.
  17. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Caracalla SAL GEN HVM
    rm6620bb1061.jpg

TIF, ominus1, Roman Collector and 4 others like this.
  18. Silverlock

Silverlock Well-Known Member

I don’t have many lrbs, but I just checked and not one of the coins I have with SALVS in the inscription actually depicts Salus. The amazing thing is I never noticed that before.

Draft saved Draft deleted