Salt, tin, and distilled water to clean coins

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Robin Gray, Dec 12, 2018.

1. Robin Gray

Robin Gray Active Member

My son and I are experimenting with rinsing Lincoln cents in warm distilled water, salt inside a bowl created by aluminum foil. The job is getting done, but what will happen long term and is this considered cleaning?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Robin Gray

Robin Gray Active Member

Well, the coin turned an odd pinkish orange.

4. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Pink or orange is bad. It's a sign that copper has been improperly cleaned.
    Salt should not be used on coins.

Amos 811 and Robin Gray like this.
  5. Robin Gray

Robin Gray Active Member

Well, that's what I told him, but we had fun experimenting. He remembered it from high school science, lol. He's 30 now. Going to buy some 100 percent acetone from somewhere tomorrow and experiment some more. Fun hobby.

6. Robin Gray

Robin Gray Active Member

Is this a 1960 D small date? is a thread I posted a couple days ago. Michael K., could you look it up and give me your opinion. I appreciate your knowledge.

7. Michael K

If I remember the photo it was.
    You can buy 100% acetone at Walmart for $3. Nail polish/remover area.
    Acetone is more for silver and other metals, but not for copper.
    It won't clean, it will dissolve organic crud.

Robin Gray likes this.
  8. Robin Gray

Robin Gray Active Member

Thanks so much!

9. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Actually, it will usually have no more effect on it than distilled water does. And the odds are high distilled water will remove more of it than acetone ever will.

Acetone only works on very few things; some, stress some, oils, PVC residue, some tapes and glues, and some paints - that's about it. For almost everything else there is a better alternative to use than acetone.

10. Robin Gray

Robin Gray Active Member

Ok, like what? Can I use something around the house like baking soda, aluminum, and distilled hot water? I read about that combo a minute ago.

11. GDJMSP

You can experiment all ya like, with anything you like. And while there are a thousand things that will work, about 996 of them will harm or damage the coin in one way or another.

When it comes right down to it there are 4 things that you can use to properly clean coins.
    1 - distilled water
    2 - acetone
    3 - xylene
    4 - coin dip

And each one of those has to be used properly, and each one of those will only remove some things. In other words you have to use the right thing for each coin, depending upon what exactly needs done or removed.

12. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

Do not clean copper with anything.

13. Michael K

Baking soda will get it clean, and ruin it just as lemon juice and salt will also ruin copper. Lemon juice and salt are great for copper jewelry, they shine right up.
    But for coins even though they are "shiny" they are permanently damaged.

Robin Gray likes this.
  14. Robin Gray

Robin Gray Active Member

Thanks, Doug and Michael. Maybe I should be specific. I have a 1918 cent, but it's black. It looks like it has verdigis, (bumpiness), but it too is covered black. So, I guess I'm m just curious to see what's under it.

15. Michael K

A lot of things will clean it, but they will ruin it. Vinegar, steel wool, etc.
    Sometimes a coin can look dirty and still be OK. (Old Mercury dimes.)
    Other times careful conservation is possible but for amateurs like me and you, we generally will ruin the coin.
    Perhaps let it just soak in a cup of distilled water for a few days.
    IDK if that will do anything, but it shouldn't ruin it.

16. GDJMSP

Before ya do anything post a pic of it.

17. Robin Gray

Robin Gray Active Member

Ok, I will. It will be a while.

18. Robin Gray

Robin Gray Active Member

Here are pics for what they're worth. It looks like a verdigris problem, really. I wish I could fix it. It appears to be a 1918 s.
    20181213_105511 (1).jpg 20181213_105511 (1).jpg 20181213_105956 (1).jpg

19. RonSanderson

RonSanderson Supporter! Supporter

It has been pointed out many times that nail polish remover has additives. Go over to the paint aisle for both acetone and xylene.

enamel7, Kasia and Robin Gray like this.
  20. Robin Gray

Robin Gray Active Member

20181213_113549.jpg 20181213_113557.jpg I know I should start a new thread, but ya'll are here, so I'm sending a pic of what I think is a 1974 small date. Compared to 50 other coins of same date, this one looked smaller and met criteria for a small date. Is it a small date? I need to know so i will have a physical coin to compare in future. I would also like to rinse this one.
    20181213_113549.jpg 20181213_113557.jpg 20181213_113557.jpg

21. Robin Gray

Robin Gray Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted