Sallent's top 5 coins for 2015

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Sallent, Dec 16, 2015.

1. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

I didn't really want to do this as I came late to the party and still have a rather small collection, but with all the top 5 and top 10 threads going up, I may as well join the party:

#1: Istros Drachm

The dual faces remind me of jin and yang, the forces of light and darkness. It also vaguely reminds me of the two faces of tragedy and comedy. One cannot stare at the obverse without thinking that it must have a philosophical meaning about the duality of the world we live in. The reverse, showing an eagle sinking it's talons into a helpless dolphin reminds me of the concept of "might is right." Not that I believe in that, but it nevertheless is an interesting thought. Overall, i love this coin because it's hidden messages that one can only begin to ponder.

Note: This is one hard coin to photograph. The patina is actually lighter than in this picture under certain light, and as dark as this picture under different lighting.

Istros Drachm.jpg

#2: Alexander III Tetradrachm, Babylonian Mint, Kings of Syria: Seleusos I Nikator

The reasons this coin comes at number two are simple. It is a big, beefy, hunk of ancient silver. Second, Alexander III''s portrait as Heracles is very attractive. Third, the relief of Zeus in his throne is one of the nicest ones out of any of the Alexander III series of coins I've seen. Not a lot of explanation is needed for this coin. It speaks for itself.

Alexander III Tetradrachm Babylon Mint.jpg

#3: M. Junius Silanus Denarius

Don't laugh, but it's all about that ass. I just love it! It is the only pun I have on any ancient coinage. The ass, according to my research, is a pun of Brutus, the founder of the Juni clan of which the coiner was a member, and the same family which would later produce Marcus Junius Brutus, the man who killed Julius Caesar. The pun is that the word Brutus means "dull, stupid, or insensible" in Latin, hence the picture of the silly looking ass in remembrance of the founder of the clan. Romans tended to come with silly names for themselves like that. For example, Cicero means chickpea.

Another reason why I love this coin is that the coiner was previously monetary quaestor...which means he ran the Roman Mint. So this is a coin from the former head of the Roman mint :)

Junius Silanus Denarii.jpg

#4: Trajan (Mars) denarius

Like #2 on the list, this coin needs little explanation why it is in the top 5. The portrait of Trajan is absolutely divine. It also helps Trajan is one of my favorite Emperors. Similarly, how can one not love the depiction of Mars on the reverse?

Trajan Mars Catalog Image.jpg

#5: Constantius II (Phoenix)

This was a very tough decision. It is not one of the prettiest coins I have. If that was the only criteria, another coin would have won this honor. It is also one of the cheapest coins I own. However, what pushed it to #5 is very simple, I like the phoenix on the reverse, and I love the bit of propaganda "Fel Temp Reparatio" or Happy Days are here Again. Look at the Emperor's straight face on the coin as he boasts of that lie. The empire was in trouble..real trouble, and yet we get this slogan proclaiming that all is great and there is nothing to worry about.

Constantius III Phoenix Coin.jpg

HONORABLE MENTION

I have yet to receive this coin. If I had received it, this would probably be #4 or #5 on the list, but I can't do it as I yet don't have it. "John Anthony...where are my legions!" Uhm, I mean coin. Sorry, got a little carried away.

I'm a sucker for animals on coins, specially morbidly obese dolphins ;)

Phillip II Deultum AE Dolphin.jpg

Last edited: Dec 16, 2015
    Pishpash, Eng, paschka and 15 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

That is a great top 5. Wonderful coins. Good luck with your collecting goals in 2016.

4. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Obese dolphins don't swim very fast. :)

paschka likes this.
  5. Sallent

Exactly, easier to catch. Who doesn't love steamed or baked dolphin meat? ;)

No need to write PETA, just a joke.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2015
    paschka likes this.
  6. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

That Trajan is still a stunner. Off to a good start Sallent!

7. Sallent

It sure is. My cell phone camera picture doesn't even come close to doing it justice. If beauty was the only criteria, it would have been #1 on the list...but there is more to a coin than just looks.

paschka likes this.
  8. dlhill132

dlhill132 Member

Sallent,
    That's an awesome top five.

Doug Hill

Sallent likes this.
  9. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

some GREAT coins sallent, you've got like 6 coins and 2 of them are out of my league!

paschka and Sallent like this.
  10. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

Nice clean coin! Very nice!!

11. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Well, for someone who just started into Ancients, you sure have the bug. Great top 5. Looking forward to see if you can have some self control this coming year. Just jokes my friend. We've all been there and done that.

Sallent and paschka like this.
  12. Sallent

Well, I did say I was "really really" done for the year, didn't I? A lawyer never lies.

I wonder if it's not too late to cancel my bid in this week's JA Auction. Oops, did I say that out loud? :oops:

Pishpash and Mikey Zee like this.
  13. Magnus Maximus

Magnus Maximus Dulce et Decorum est....

Very nice set!
    Congrats.
    Though the battle of Mursa Major was bad (like really bad as far as deaths go) Constantius II brought order and stability to the Empire. Was the Fel Temp Rep series propaganda? Yes! Was it totally untrue? Probably not.
    The economy of the west was not as productive as it had been in the principate, but it still was impressive. As for the military, well there are two schools of thought about it. One is that the Late Roman military was actually much larger than the armies of the Early Empire, the other that it was about the same size or a tad smaller. Either way the Late Roman Army in the 4th cent. usually won most pitched battles against the barbarians and was a fairly effective fighting force (until the civil wars of the last 20 years of the 4th cent)
    See
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Strasbourg

Mikey Zee, ValiantKnight and Sallent like this.
  14. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

All are nice but the one I like best is #3 with the asses head.

paschka, stevex6 and Sallent like this.
  15. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

What a great start to your new vocation :). The Trajan and Junius are my favourites, but all are excellent.

16. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Nuthin' but winners, my coin-friend!! (fantastic rookie season)

I agree with mentor => the ass-head-RR is a real head turner

Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
    Sallent likes this.
  17. derkerlegand

derkerlegand Well-Known Member

They should be called the other chicken of the sea.

Sallent and stevex6 like this.
  18. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Wonderful!!!

I'm still debating which I LOVE best of the first three....naturally, I lean towards #3 and that terrific ass head.

Sallent likes this.
  19. GregH

GregH Well-Known Member

You have a very fine collection already. Quality, not quantity!

Sallent and paschka like this.
  20. paschka

paschka Well-Known Member

Super coin!!!!!!!!

Sallent likes this.
  21. Sallent

When I bought my first ancient coin on November 2, 2015, I figured I'd get 2 more before the year was out. Two months and 15 coins later, I'm starting to think this hobby is a little more addicting than I first realized.

Draft saved Draft deleted