Sallent's Top 10 of 2019 (with just the right amount of clickbait)

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Sallent, Dec 2, 2019.

1. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Time for THE FINAL COUNTDOWN!

#3: Olé, Olé, Olé

Bull.gif

Sometimes you mess with the bull and the bull fights back. The Iberian tribes certainly learned that lesson when they messed with Rome. I love this coin not only because it celebrates a Roman Republic victory in Iberia, but also because of the scene on the reverse, showing a Roman citizen taking the oath of induction into the Roman legions.

Hispan serrate denarius.jpg
    Roman Republic, A. Postumius A.f. Sp.n. Albinus, c. 81 B.C.
    Silver denarius serratus
    Rome mint, weight 3.902g, maximum diameter 19.6mm
    Obverse: HISPAN downward behind, veiled head of Hispania right with disheveled hair; reverse togate figure standing left, extending hand toward legionary eagle before him, fasces and axe behind, A• / ALBIN / N•S• vertical downward in fields from left to right, POST A•F• in exergue;
    Crawford 372/2, Sydenham 746, RSC I Postumia 8, BMCRR I Rome 2839, RBW Collection 1393, SRCV I 297
    Note: gVF, dark toning, part of reverse not fully struck, tight flan cutting of exergue

#2: GOLDFINGER

goldfinger.gif

James: Do you expect me to talk?
    Goldfinger: No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die.

Well, no need to die to enjoy my next coin, that's for sure. Introducing a coin that needs no explanation, and my first goldie in my collection.

Zeno AU.jpg
    Zeno, 474-475 CE, 476-491 CE
    Eastern Roman Emperor
    AU Solidus, 2nd reign, Aug 476 - 11 Apr 491, 5th issue
    10th officina, Constantinople Mint, weight 4.449g, maximum diameter 20.0mm, die axis 180o
    obverse: D N ZENO PERP AVG, helmeted bust facing, pearl diademed with trefoil ornament on crested helmet, cuirassed, spear in right hand over right shoulder, shield on left arm decorated with horseman riding down and spearing enemy
    Reverse: VICTORI AVGGG I, Victory standing left, long jeweled cross in right, star right, CONOB in exergue
    DOCLR 643 (also 10th officina), Tolstoi 24, Ratto 284, RIC X 910, Depeyrot 108/1, SRCV V 21514,

#1: GRADE A SPANISH HORSE GLUE

Top Spanish Horse.gif

I've lusted after a Bolskan Spanish Iberian denarius for a long time. Almost bought one on severa occasions, but I'm glad I waited for this beauty. It's got character and beautiful toning. A real trophy coin worthy of the #1 spot. What do you think?

Bolskan Denarius.jpg
    Bolskan, Celt/Iberia
    AR denarius
    attractive style, well centered and struck, attractive deep old cabinet toning, small edge split, Bolskan (Osca) mint, weight 3.827g, maximum diameter 17.9mm, die axis 0o, 150 - 100 B.C.; obverse bearded male head right, curly hair, dotted collar, Iberian monogram "Bon" behind; reverse horseman galloping right, spear in right hand, reins in left, Iberian legend "BoLSCaN" above ground line below; Villaronga p. 211, 6; SNG BM 695 ff.; SNG Lorichs 797 ff.; SNG Cop 330; Burgos 1911; SGCV I 28

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
    Finn235, Cucumbor, chrsmat71 and 10 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Sallent

SUMMARY OF TOP 10 IN ORDER FROM #10 to #1

Constantius II Campgate.jpg

Domitian Denarius.jpg

Pisidia Obol.jpg

Caligula Quadrans.jpg

Lisimachus drachm.jpg

Antony and Octavian.jpg

C Fonteius.jpg

Hispan serrate denarius.jpg

Zeno AU.jpg

Bolskan Denarius.jpg

4. Sallent

Thats all.gif

That's it, the end! I await your feedback. What did you think of my Top 10 for 2019? Hope you enjoyed the tread.

Johndakerftw and Curtisimo like this.
  5. thejewk

thejewk Well-Known Member

Enjoyed it very much Sallent. An excellent selection.

Sallent likes this.
  6. gogili1977

gogili1977 Well-Known Member

All coins are beautiful. My favorite are the numbers 4 and 1 with galley and horseman.

Sallent likes this.
  7. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

#1 and #4 are the ones I like best, but all in all a strong and diverse selection.

Sallent likes this.
  8. TIF

TIF Always learning.

It's an eclectic assortment and I like them all, but especially the bookends :).

Sallent likes this.
  9. Sallent

Thanks for the compliment. That was exactly my goal this year, to aquire a diverse and eye catching set of coins. I wasn't as focused on quantity as I was in diversity and personal appeal. And in that sense I think I succeeded in 2019. Despite only buying 14 coins (a record low for me), I am more satisfied with this year's results more than any other year. I think I will follow the formula going forwards and focus more on quality (ie. appealing coins that more suit my tastes and personality) over quantity, and if that means only 10-14 coins a year vs.my normal average of 20 to 25, so be it.

Alegandron likes this.
  10. Spaniard

Spaniard Well-Known Member

@Sallent ...Great mix of coins.....
    I have a small piece of land a couple of kms outside of Huesca and spend weekends there re-connecting with nature. So my completely unbiased favourite is number 1. A beautiful example!
    I have its little bronze brother...
    normal_1-20190803_1-3Nxiz9nYojC87KpJg6Sd4sqLCoQ5Db_(1).jpg
    Spain, Bolskan (Osca). Circa 150-100 BC. AE Unit (10.35 gm, 24mm).
    Obverse: Bearded head right; dolphin behind.
    Reverse: "BOLSKAN" in Celt-Iberian in exergue, rider on horse right, holding spear; star behind.
    CNH 8; SNG BM Spain 734; SNG Copenhagen 325. VF.

11. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

My favorites of yours are 4, 1, and 10. Hope 2020 is good to you!

Sallent likes this.
  12. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

These are all great. My favorites are:

#10 - What a sharp coin and distinctive engraving!

#4 - That Janus obverse is iconic and I really like the ship detailing as well. Popeye would, indeed have approved.

#1 - I like it for the same reasons you mentioned. Great toning, great detail and just generally great eye appeal.

Sallent likes this.
  13. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Well, hmmm... I like them all. You know that I focus on the Republic and those Entities that were entangled with BCE Rome. It is easy for me to be drawn to those coins.

However, I have always admired your eye for good looking coins.

I have to concede The Campgate, the Domitian, and the AV Solidus are all very attractive coins to me also. Despite their being historically “modern” coins for my taste. :D :D :D

Nicely done, @Sallent ! Super captures this year!

Sallent likes this.
  14. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Your #1, #3 and #4 are those I prefer
    Very diverse selection, now I understand why you parted with your roachez ;)

Q

Sallent likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted