Sallent's Epic Top 10 Coins of 2016

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Sallent, Dec 18, 2016.

1. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Starting tonight I will begin posting my top 10 coins for the year here, along with a brief write up of why the particular coin made the list and some historical context for the coin. I don't know how many I'll post per day, but I hope to be done before December 31, 2016.

Please bear with me as this is no easy task. I bought around 70 coins this year, and with so many good ones among those 70, any decision I make is bound to be hard and controversial. Too bad it's a top 10 list and not a top 70 list. :D

Anyway, stay tuned and enjoy the ride.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

4. Sallent

HONORARY MENTIONS

These are coins that didn't make the top 10 but deserve to be mentioned nevertheless. I limited myself to the 5 closest to making my list, though I wish I could have included more...but that would risk making a top 10 list meaningless.

So without further adieu: TOP 5 HONORARY MENTIONS

#5:
    C. Vibius C.F. Pansa AR Denarius feat. Minerva.jpg
    C. Vibius C.f. Pansa AR Denarius
    Attribution: Crawford 342/5b; Vibia 1b; Syd 684b
    Date: 90 BC
    Obverse: PANSA behind laureate head of Apollo right, S before
    Reverse: Minerva driving galloping quadriga right, C•VIBIVS•C•F in exergue
    Size: 18.83 mm
    Weight: 4.03 grams

When I first saw this coin, I thought it was really ugly, but the more I looked at it over the next two months in one of my dealers' websites, the more and more I fell in live with it. She looks rough, but it's a good kind of rough, the type that makes an ancient coin look more properly ancient, and the toning is really nice. The depiction of Minerva in a quadriga is another thing that has grown on me.

#4:
    Henry III Voided Long Cross Penny Walter Canterburry.jpg

ENGLAND, Henry III (1216-1272), Penny, 1.32g., Voided Long Cross Coinage, Class 5g, (1251-1272), Walter - Canterbury, crowned facing bust of Henry, HENRICVS REX III, rev., voided long cross with trefoil of pellets in each angle, WALTER ON CANT, (N.997; S.1373), very fine.
    Ex York Coins
    Ex Patrick Finn.
    Ex W. J. Conte Collection
    Ex J. J. North Collection
    (ticket included).
    Ex Glendinings Auction, June 15th, 1954, part lot 266.

LOOK AT THAT PROVENANCE!!!:eek::greedy::wideyed:

Ex York Coins: This is a prominent dealer of medieval English pennies based out of New York. If you've shopped for medieval English coins on v-coins, I'm sure you are quite familiar with them.

Ex Patrick Finn - Patrick Finn was a former director of Spink Auction House in the UK, a member of the British Numismatic Society, author/researcher on the topic of medieval English coins, and one of the preeminent dealers of medieval English coins in the UK. Patrick passed away in the year 2000 after collapsing at a coin show.

Ex Dr. William J. Conte - William J. Conte was an American geneticist and one of the most preeminent world experts on Norman coinage. He amassed one of the largest and most complete collections of medieval English coinage, and when he passed away he donated a large portion of it to a museum for permanent display to the public.

Ex J. J. North - J. J. North wrote the entire set of reference books for English hammered coins. He was one of the most accomplished numismatist writers in British history. So much so that the British Numismatics Society created an award in his honor, given in the form of medal to numismatists whose work contributes greatly to numismatics publication.

Ex Glendinings Auction: June 15, 1954, Part lot 266 - I don't think this auction house is still in business as I have not been able to find anything recent, but it was a major auction house for things such as British coins, British service medals, British medallions, and other collectables of that nature.

#3 M. Cipius M.F. Denarius.jpg
    M. Cipius M.f. 115-114 B.C.
    AR Denarius 16mm. 3.90g. Rome Mint
    Helmeted head of Roma, r.; X behind.
    M. CIPI. M. F.
    Victory in biga, r.; rudder below horses; In ex.: ROMA
    Crawford 289/1; RSC Cipia 1
    Notes: Nicely toned with some lustre in fields. Typical slightly compact flan for the issue. Includes old collection envelope

This is a coin that I feel is fairly representative of the style and themes of Roman Republic denarii. Other than that, I love the dark toning and the S shaped necks on the horses is very curious indeed, almost Celtic in style. Perhaps the celator was a slave of Celtic origin?

dlhill132, Stevearino, Smojo and 16 others like this.
  5. Sallent

Bela IV AR Denar Hungary.jpg
    Hungary. Bela IV. 1235-1270.
    AR denar.

Hungary. Bela IV. 1235-1270. AR denar (13.7 mm, 0.64 g, 11 h). REX*-BELA+, king enthroned facing, holding scepter / MONETA REGISP HVNGARIA, pearled cross, four stars around. Huszár 320; CNH 253. Good VF.
    Ex. Kenneth Miller Collection of Ake-Ptolemaïs and Related Biblical Coins.

This little medieval silver coin is an absolute piece of eye candy and a delight to own. Bela IV was an extremely fascinating medieval king, and definitely one of the most important Eastern European medieval monarchs.

When the Mongols ravaged Hungary, Bela IV had the courage and strength to rebuild a decimated wasteland back into a great medieval kingdom, where culture and trade flourished like almost nowhere else in Europe. He had the strength to then preserve his newly rebuilt and still suffering kingdom against a massive Austrian army that sought to take advantage of Hungary's misfortunes, and despite overwhelming odds against him, he kept his people united and defeated the Austrian hoards.

Bohemund III.jpg
    CRUSADERS Principality of Antioch Bohemund III 1149-1163
    AR Denier 17mm. 0.90g. Helmet Denier, Class E
    Helmeted head left (with cross) in mail coat; crescent before, star after.
    +BOANVHDVS
    Cross pattée; crescent in 2nd quadrant.
    +ANTI:.OCHIA
    Metcalf LE 400; CCS 67b
    Notes: Lightly toned. Faint porosity.

This coin is perhaps the classic coin of the Crusades. It captures the militaristic spirit of the era, with the knight wearing a period crusader helmet with cross and chain mail coat. However, despite the crosses and Christian themes, the Islamic crescent is depicted twice on the coin, illustrating the point that Christians and Muslims lived together in these medieval crusader kingdoms, and that despite the differences in religion, sometimes Christians and Muslims were allies. The relationship between both faiths was not as simple and black and white as Hollywood would have you believe.

6. Sallent

That's it for the honorary mentions: Tune in tonight for the first of Sallent's Epic Top 10 Coins.

Nicholas Molinari likes this.
  7. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Your also-rans could easily be a top-5 list! Looking forward to the countdown.

Paul M. and Sallent like this.
  8. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

That Henry III & Bela IV are sex :eek:

Sallent likes this.
  9. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

What?!? Those gorgeous medievals aren't in the top ten??? I'd say the vote is rigged...

Paul M., John Anthony and Sallent like this.
  10. Sallent

I promise you there is at least 1 European medieval on my top 10 list, but yeah, those are some special coins, which is why I had to mention them even if I didn't make them part of my top 10.

Ultimately this is an exercise in personal preference, and when I have 70 coins to chose from, I have a feeling my top 10 will vary tremendously from what others would have chosen if they had to decide among those 70 coins.

11. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Have to agree with everyone... even the ones that didn't make your Top 10 are excellent captures.

Sallent likes this.
  12. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

High quality pieces that didn't make the cut ... you've peaked my curiosity about the true Top Ten list!

13. Sallent

Here is tonight's coin and #10 on the list.

Mylasa Lion Scorpion Obol.jpg
    CARIA, Mylasa
    Circa 450 BCE
    AR hemiobol
    Obv: facing forepart of lion
    Rev: scorpion within incuse square

Its small...How small you ask? Here is a size comparison with a US dime, which most of you will be familiar with.

FDR Earmuff .jpg

Despite it's small size this coin packs tons of detail and eye appeal. Besides, what's not to love about a lion and a scorpion on the same coin? The punch die on the reverse is also a nice touch...Nice archaic vives.

This coin was an impulse buy, and now #10 on my list. Not bad for something I bought without really thinking about it or looking to get it.

14. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Oooh, scorpion! Very nice indeed.

Sallent likes this.
  15. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

any of your honorable mentions would have landed in my top 10 easy!

Paul M. and Sallent like this.
  16. Sallent

This is not a single coin, but rather a pair. I couldn't possibly decide between them:

Septimius Severus Laodicea Mint.jpg
    Septimius Severus 193-211
    AR Denarius 17mm. 3.55g. Laodicea mint. A.D 198-202
    L SEPT SEEV AVG IMP XI PART MAX, laureate head of Septimius Severus right
    VICTORIAE A[V]GG FEL, Victory advancing left, holding open wreath over shield set on low base
    RIC 516; RSC 719

Septimius Severus Neptune denarius.jpg
    Septimius Severus Rome Mint (210 AD)
    AR Denarius, 3.386g, max diameter 19.1mm
    Obverse: SEVERVS PIVS AVG, laureate head right
    Reverse: PM TR P XVIII COS III PP, Neptune standing left, nude but for cloack over left shoulder and right arm, right foot on rock, right arm resting on knee, trident vertical behind left hand.

References: RIC IV 234; RSC III 543; BMCRE V p. 360, 19; SRCV II 6346 (TRP XVII, 209AD)

I adore both these coins. The top one is a classic Severan portrait, and it is the height of Severan denarii craftsmanship from the eastern mints. Shortly after this coin was made production was shifted back to Rome.

The second one is the most lifelike realistic portrait of Severus I've ever seen on coin. The reverse is weak (a common problem for this issue) but the obverse is where the magic truly happens. You don't get more refined and life-like than that!

dlhill132, Stevearino, Smojo and 19 others like this.
  17. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Terrific posts so far!!!

Sallent likes this.
  18. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

I love that scorpion hemiobol and Crusades silver! Can't wait to see what's next!

Sallent likes this.
  19. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Love the toning on the Laodicea Severus.

Sallent likes this.
  20. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Charming coins all around. Can't wait to see the others

Q

Sallent likes this.
  21. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

:beaver:

I like you => fantastic coins, Lawyer (congrats)

Last edited: Dec 19, 2016
    Sallent likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted