Saint Gaudens Double Eagle Poll

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Jaelus, Jun 21, 2018.

?

What would you do?

Poll closed Jun 22, 2018.
  1. Keep it as is.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Submit it for re-grade.

4 vote(s)
    57.1%
  3. Submit it to CAC.

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  1. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

So I've got a 1926 NGC MS65 Saint Gaudens Double Eagle. It's in an NGC gen 9 slab with a low serial number. The slab is in pretty good shape, but it's a little scuffed up.

On a regrade it's got a solid shot at MS66 by today's standards. On a bad day I can't see it going lower than an MS65+. I'm sorry I don't have any pictures on hand, so for this exercise just trust that my assessment of the grade is accurate.

I'm debating what to do with this coin. I don't have any immediate plans to sell it, but I'm dropping off submissions tomorrow and it's easy to let it ride along if I want to regrade. Would you keep the coin as is, submit it for a regrade (it would lose the low serial number, but gain an edge view and a clearer slab), submit it to CAC, or I guess other (perhaps regrade and then CAC)?

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
    GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ACE Mike

ACE Mike Internet Dealer

Price difference is about $300 between MS-65 and 66. Might be worth a try.

GoldFinger1969 and Jaelus like this.
  4. kSigSteve

kSigSteve Active Member

I would prolly go the CAC route.

Pictures?

GoldFinger1969 and Jaelus like this.
  5. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Regrade then cac. Cac in that holder would very lickly be a waste of time if it’s visuals are impaired, they’re already hard enough on gem level saints when the slab is crystal clear

6. Jaelus

That's a good thought and I was leaning in that direction. My only reservation is that I know people like them in the older NGC slabs because they're generally undergraded now. I suppose the question is whether it's better to have an older NGC MS65 slab or a new NGC MS66.

7. Jaelus

I'll snap some quick pics with my cell phone tonight, but that's all I'm going to have time for.

8. imrich

imrich Supporter! Supporter

Generally, you are correct about CAC placing a bean on a generic Gem state Double Eagle unless it's a plus coin. However, if it's felt the coin is greater than an average MS65, it's less expense for a CAC submission than a top tier TPG, and if it doesn't receive a "bean", its unlikely to upgrade.

JMHO

Santinidollar and Jaelus like this.
  9. baseball21

Isn’t it one of the newer “old” slabs though? If it was a rattler or no line fatty I might try cac first even if it’s scuffed up but if it’s slab from the last 10 years I generally wouldn’t be worried about it.

Jaelus likes this.
  10. Jaelus

That's true it's a newer old slab, but from the cert number I think about ~15 years old.

11. baseball21

NGC certs don’t necessarily correlate with age. If someone had an old paper sheet they used you could get a much lower number than the slab would suggest. That said it may be about that old since obviously I haven’t seen it

12. Jaelus

Here are some cell phone pics. I tried to get as shallow an angle as possible that minimized the scuffing on the slab over the coin. Looks like a gen 9 slab (2001-2003).

20180621_201502_resized.jpg
    20180621_201554_resized.jpg

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
    GoldFinger1969 and Stork like this.
  13. ACE Mike

ACE Mike Internet Dealer

You were right, it is a beauty!

14. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Don't 'crack' that lovely girl.........submit to CAC, but do not let this beauty escape the plastic. But that is entirely up to you, my friend. :)

GoldFinger1969 and imrich like this.
  15. baseball21

I’d regrade it if you’re going to reholder it. It’s not that much more for the regrade

16. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

I agree with 65 and sort of doubt that it will go to 66.

17. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

That’s a gorgeous coin. What’s the CAC fee? I think it might be worth a submission. See what happens.

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  18. baseball21

$14.50 plus shipping

Santinidollar likes this.
  19. ACE Mike

ACE Mike Internet Dealer

Hard to tell if there is a bit of chatter on the top edge of the wings and in the sun rays on the reverse or if that is just the picture. If so then just do the CAC thing. The obverse fields look really clean.

20. Jaelus

There are no significant marks on the obverse, and the head is fully struck. There is some chatter on the top edge of the lower wing (around the center of the coin) and a minor hit on the top wing straight down from the right leg of the A in DOLLARS. The rays are clean.

I looked over (in hand) a couple dozen recently graded examples from NGC that were 65, 65+, and 66, and this coin was closer to a 66 than to a 65+. But since the obverse is virtually flawless I figured it had a good shot to carry it as a 66.

21. Jaelus

Update: I sent it in for a regrade and it went from a 65 to a 65+.

Draft saved Draft deleted