Saint Gauden 1914 ~ Need Help Grading

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by VirginiaMan, Feb 24, 2017.

1. VirginiaMan

VirginiaMan Member

Hi All - Can I get some help from our forum's "Expert-Graders" on this Saint Gaudens? Here are some specifics about the coin:
    1. Has great eye appeal with beautiful cartwheel luster.
    2. Fields look clean.
    3. Primary Focals look good.
    4. Ever so slight redish/copper toning at 7:00.
    5. 3 small CM's on Liberty's gown at 12:00 25% up the gown.
    6. Eagle's breast feathers are sharp.
    7. 3-5 small CM's just above "In God We Trust".

That's it - Any help/opinions will be greatly appreciated.......Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

While the contact marks are fairly prominent, the coin generally looks nice to me . . . I'd check the rims to make sure they have not been filed . . . a frequent offense to large gold, but often not obvious in photos.

- Mike

4. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

Not an expert, but I say AU... I see wear on the high points.

Are you buying for a type set?

5. VirginiaMan

VirginiaMan Member

Thanks Mike..... any grade opinion?

6. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Looks to be in a PCGS slab but it's not a true MS, it has wear on most of the high points. But then most Saints do. Finding a true MS Saint is hard to do, but it can be done.

imrich and Dougmeister like this.
  7. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

If it is not a Details coin, based on commercial grading standards I'd venture a 63+. Obviously, I might feel differently after examining the coin in hand.

Dougmeister likes this.
  8. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

Looks AU-55 to me, but it's probably graded MS-63.

Dougmeister likes this.
  9. VirginiaMan

VirginiaMan Member

Thanks all - The coin is PGCS Grades at 63+ - Those are not rubs. The dealer scans coins and those are shadows. I drove hours to look at this one and others. From the dealer site I had the same questions, but was pleased that those were not rubs.

So now that begs a question: I want to crossover it into NGC holder. What will NGC do about the "+"? Is it possible that they will "downgrade" to 63 only? What say you?

10. recoinect

recoinect Member

If NGC is looking for more cross-over business, they may upgrade to 64. Who knows? Personally, I would rather keep it in a PCGS holder.

imrich and baseball21 like this.
  11. VirginiaMan

VirginiaMan Member

Why would you do that and not do a crossover? IMHO I thing coins look richer in NGC holders.

12. recoinect

recoinect Member

"IF" was the key word. NGC may grade it the same, lower or higher. If the same, I would rather keep it in a PCGS holder for possible resale, although I agree the NGC holder looks better.

13. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

MS 63+ tells you it's a solid 63, but not a 64 - NGC just called out PCGS for being too lenient and banned PCGS-graded coins from their registry. I doubt they'll upgrade many PCGS coins... why would they? Is your coin CAC approved?

14. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Looks like it's already been graded (PCGS?). So what's the worry? You don't agree with their opinion? Hair splitters...........

15. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Technically it means it's a 63.7-63.9. + coins are coins that just missed the next grade and may or may not get the next grade if submitted again. Some are boarderlines that can go either way some have a slight issue that will keep it from getting the bump.

16. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

It's a 63+ according to PCGS standards. That doesn't mean NGC agrees with them. There's no point in crossing it over hoping it will upgrade w/o knowing Saints very well.

17. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

I'm not saying to cross it by any means, PCGS and NGC deal with gold differently and PCGS gold seems to be more liquid. Was just saying the 63+ is better than a solid 63. I would leave it in the PCGS holder as well.

coinsareus10 likes this.
  18. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Leave well enough alone.

coinsareus10 likes this.
  19. redcent230

redcent230 Well-Known Member

I see many coins with the "+" on them and I have some as well. To me what is the point to have that + there ?? To get a better value in which will cost you more to pay for the coin. For me that coin doesn't look a plus and you probably paid alot more for it. And like most everyone here said why bother crossing over to NGC and think they will grade it up for you and then what if they don't in which you loose your value. You might as well sell it and then look for one that is nice as you think in a NGC holder.

HAB Peace 28 2.0 likes this.
  20. imrich

imrich Supporter! Supporter

It has been my experience that a given coin submitted to the top 2 premier TPG will generally receive a lower grade from NGC. I'd expect a MS63 grade for your coin from NGC, but who knows, as I believe this listing will show:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/1914-D-20-M...405297?hash=item51e7bf0031:g:AbgAAOSwHsRYDoOb

JMHO

21. Rheingold

Rheingold Well-Known Member

The 1914 Phili Saint is rare in MS 63 and above and seldom encountered.
    I see an accurately graded coin.
    Leave it as it is.......NGC would grade it the same i.m.o.
    I personally prefer PCGS with Saints.

Draft saved Draft deleted