Safety of Cardboard Coin Storage Boxes?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Publius2, Jul 3, 2022.

1. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

Neat idea, but Lovimag tape is oxidation-resistant, and I don't believe it will sacrificially protect the coins.

-jeffB likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I wondered about that. Seems like a lot of the copper tapes have some sort of protective coating. I suppose a bit of sandpaper could fix that, though...?

4. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

Perhaps, but Lovimag and similar products are very thin foils, and susceptible to scratching clear through them.

I imagine the Intercept Shield products are coated with unprotected copper.

5. Mike Thornton

Mike Thornton Learning something new everyday.

You could buy some desiccant packets for any moisture, available at gun supply shops and or an open box on baking soda. Change out every 6 months.

6. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

gotcha!

7. SportsDen

SportsDen Member

What is the problem with guns/coins stored in safe together?

8. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I believe it's the cleaning materials you guys use on the weaponry.

Kentucky likes this.
  9. Publius2

Publius2 Well-Known Member

Guns are cleaned with chemicals that leave a residue on the metal surfaces. Then the guns are lubricated. Guns are often stored with their ammunition. That ammo is full of chemicals. Guns are often stored with holsters and other accoutrements that are cured or made with harsh chemicals. Lock all that stuff up in a closed safe and you have an environment that is less than ideal for coins.

If you have a gun safe where you store all of this material, open it up after it's been closed for a month or so and take a deep sniff.

And just to add another point, gun safes are notoriously lousy at resisting attempts to break into them.

Here's a thought: If you have $10,000 worth of guns and $200,000 worth of coins, which is more worthy of being kept in a fire and burglery-rated safe?

10. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Hmm. Which would you rather home invaders get their hands on first?

11. Publius2

Publius2 Well-Known Member

In an ideal world, my preference is for home invaders to never appear but you present a false choice. If home invaders break down your door, they will have the drop on you and you will not be able to resist. That is the overwhelming outcome of all home invasions. For home invasions you won't have a choice, they will force you to give them both guns and coins.

In my home, there are only two designated home defense weapons that are stored with their ammunition. And if I can't get to them in time, then it doesn't matter what else happens. All other weapons are nothing but clubs since their ammo is stored in a different facility.

I guess the second point, although it is not relevant to the subject thread, is that virtually no one successfully overcomes a planned, armed home invasion. So, statistically, it really doesn't matter where or how you store your guns as far as a home invasion is concerned (burglary is another matter). Or your coins for that matter. A person's home and property security measures should not be focused on black swan events for which no defense is possible. We can continue this discussion on another thread if you've a mind to but it has been discussed at length on CT at other times.

-jeffB likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted