Safety deposit boxes...... not so safe.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Junior lawson, Feb 7, 2020.

1. Junior lawson

Junior lawson Active Member

So awhile back there was a thread on S.D.Boxes and what not... i just wanted to share that this morning on the news a lady lost EVERYTHING in her box. $67,000....rings, necklesses, everything. Sh had been with the same bank for 25 yrs and moved so she got another one in her town and after a yr she went to pay the yearly fee and get a picture, opened it up and nothings there. The bank told her that there not liable for it. I dont have one, never will, but to those who do, might wanna check on em and make sure.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Sounds like something hokey going on. The bank has a key and the renter has a key. Plus there is a written record each time someone goes into the vault and opens a box. Appears an investigation should be in order.

4. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

That’s why you get third-party insurance and take pics of everything in the box

Paul M. likes this.
  5. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Wonder how often this happens compared to burglaries, home invasions, home theft by trusted individuals...

geekpryde and ToughCOINS like this.
  6. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

Just worth noting that if she didn't keep up with the rent the box goes through an escheatment process. Rules differ by state.

7. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

Agreed . . . as for the statement below your Avatar, "I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a biscuit today", Tuesday is 4 days away . . . it really takes that long to digest a biscuit?

Muzyck likes this.
  8. MK Ultra

MK Ultra Well-Known Member

Keys are irrelevant. Diebold has a little tool that they stick in, squeeze, and voila! The box is open. Drilling is for show and to generate revenue/dissuade people from proceeding. Lots of horror stories on SDB. Millions more never have an issue. But writing a story that Johnny's coins were kept safe doesn't sell papers/clicks.

geekpryde likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted