Safe place to get unsearched, uncleaned Roman coin lots?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by TylerH, Dec 6, 2018.

1. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

Good luck! It sort of depends what you’re into.
    I learned a ton about identification of legends and portrait types from the cleaned, but extremely ratty Ancient Treasures. I learned a ton about proper cleaning techniques from Noble Roman Coins. Each has its own benefits

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

You can still try eBay. Just look for someone who lists small lots and includes a photo of the actual coins in the lot. Here's an example of what to look for:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-ANCIENT...581302?hash=item1f13f18436:g:R6oAAOSwg~RfIcZF

I have nothing to do with this seller, but with a lot like this you know exactly what to expect. In this case you are getting low-to-medium grade late Roman bronzes (LRBs). These are fine for a child who is just starting out.

4. Dadandmearchaeology

Dadandmearchaeology New Member

That is very kind of you I have sent you a PM ( Conversation?)

5. Dadandmearchaeology

Thank you for the suggestion. I did think of this as an option - for my needs I need detail rather than value ( something to stimulate the imagination and give value to the process of excavating and cleaning ) as such I was nervous to purchase coins which even after cleaning would be incomplete, or aesthetically flawed to the point where it would look more like a disfigured hunk of metal, rather than a currency from a world forgotten.

DonnaML likes this.
  6. Dadandmearchaeology

Just wanted to issue a public thank you for this. I picked up the coins today, and am currently researching how to clean them. I can't wait to bury them in the yard and go on a hunt with my oldest. Thank you so much. If i can ever repay the favor, please let me know.

Orange Julius and Victor_Clark like this.
  7. Virgil H

Virgil H New Member

I am glad this old thread got resurrected. I am an older guy who has been interested in ancients for years, but only recently started seriously collecting a few months ago, so far buying single coins from reputable sources. Also trying to get my grandkids interested in these beautiful pieces of history. I completely understand the idea of getting uncleaned coins to the point I just bought a small lot. I know I will get no treasures, but there is just something about the discovery process. This very well may be a one time thing and it is not interfering in my collection budget. But I understand the appeal.

Draft saved Draft deleted