Safe place to get unsearched, uncleaned Roman coin lots?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by TylerH, Dec 6, 2018.

1. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

Remember that in ancient coins, one could be worth thousands of others. Just take it easy and never hurry.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

Be sure to document your progress with photos and share them here. It sounds fun and fascinating! :wideyed:

4. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

It’s his 50 bucks. He’ll do what he wants. Even though taking $50 and purchasing inexpensive identified coins might be more logical, I completely understand the flea market thrill of scrubbing 49 to find 1 that looks half decent. It’s an emotional rather than a logical equation. The smell of olive oil, dirt, and bronze. As long as he understands what he’s probably going to get and what he isn’t. He has gotten some good advice here. Have fun!

Clavdivs likes this.
  5. TylerH

TylerH Well-Known Member

I have no delusions of finding treasure, I just think it’ll be a fun way to learn and - in my 8 year old brain - play Indiana Jones looking through secret artifacts. Haha

6. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

Go for it.. have fun and post some pics here!

7. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Hmmm Indiana Jones! I felt like he did when he found the well of Souls using the head piece of the staff of Ra. That is when I found the Macrianus piece!

Orange Julius likes this.
  8. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

Yeah. You’d be lucky to have a lot clean up like that.

9. Orange Julius

Orange Julius Well-Known Member

Dang, that’s a deal not to pass up. I see a lot of interesting coins in there!

10. Victor_Clark

Victor_Clark all my best friends are dead Romans Dealer

Here are a few coins on my desk. I will give some away to new collectors in the US that PM their name and address.

IMG_0500.JPG

Ajax, Theodosius, TIF and 5 others like this.
  11. Victor_Clark

I still have five packs of coins ready to mail out. Just PM me

12. Dadandmearchaeology

Dadandmearchaeology New Member

Sorry for the thread necromancy, is the above situation still correct. I have a child who adores coins and likes to use their hands to clean and uncover things - I had remembered decades ago (wow it really is 2020) that I could buy a lot of uncleaned roman coins from E-bay.

I wanted to make sure the sources listed above are still the best resources for us to go on a make believe archaeological dig.

DonnaML and furryfrog02 like this.
  13. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Wow, Deac, you just reminded me that I only have a White belt! And, I forgot to bring my robe to class....

Oh boy.

:)

furryfrog02 likes this.
  14. Alegandron

15. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

?? You summoned me? :p

Alegandron likes this.
  16. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Hey, I too have a budding Indiana Jones who loves coins, history, and discovering treasure under the dirt and grime. We haven’t purchased uncleaned coins in well over a year but nobleromancoins was a pretty good place to buy from. Perhaps a bit more expensive than other places, but we ended up with a decent number of identifiable, but not pretty, LRBs. @hotwheelsearl has done several write ups recently about buying uncleaned lots. Perhaps he can chime in.

17. Alegandron

Perhaps you, your Son, and @TylerH with his Son can join forces conquering new coins! :)

furryfrog02 likes this.
  18. Dadandmearchaeology

Not sure if that picture going to come through but its a great description. I searched for threads started by @hotweelsearl and didn't see much about vendors. Is there a specific thread I should read over?

hotwheelsearl likes this.
  19. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

Vendors I’ve bought from are Ancient Treasures, Holding History and Noble Roman Coins.

ancient treasures does lots of a hundred at a time which are complete crapshoots. 99% junk, if you’re really lucky you end up with a rare Commodus denarius. A few encrusted coins as well.

Noble Roman coins sells specifically uncleaned coins. Advertised as “premium,” the odds of getting quality coins are rather high; about half of the coins I got cleaned up rather nicely.

holding history doesn’t do lots too often, but the two Lots of 6 total coins I got were encrusted and coated in verdgris. The results were incredible with these.

long story short;
    Ancient treasures gets you a lot of coins at a bargain price, with bargain finds to match ($0.70-$0.80 per coin)
    noble gets you less coins at a higher price but significantly better success rate and quality ($1.70+ per coin)
    holding history is the greatest results at the highest price ($6.70)

that’s just my experience.

DonnaML likes this.
  20. Dadandmearchaeology

Thank you - I will search those three sites you mentioned and depending on the deal begin our excavation shortly, appreciate your reply.

hotwheelsearl and DonnaML like this.
  21. Victor_Clark

@Dadandmearchaeology
    "I wanted to make sure the sources listed above are still the best resources for us to go on a make believe archaeological dig."

send me a pm with your address and I will send you some nice coins

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
    furryfrog02 and hotwheelsearl like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted