"Safe Deposit Boxes Aren’t Safe" (NY Times article)

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Dougmeister, Jul 26, 2019.

1. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Nothing in this article was terribly surprising to me, although it's always a little depressing to be reminded that "accidents happen" and that there are so many corrupt people and businesses waiting to take advantage of them.

SDBs carry a different set of risks from home storage. I'm confident that the SDB risks are much smaller in general, at least for my own situation. (I don't live in a concrete fortress, and I don't perch in my sniper's nest 24/7 guarding it.)

Paul M. likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

I’m getting a SBD because the value of my collection warrants it, and because I can’t install a suitable safe where I am living. The bank’s vault is also more tornado-proof than where I am living, and there are fewer opportunities for fires to break out. It is just added peace of mind.

I will be keeping a meticulous record of what is going in the box and taking pics of the more valuable stuff that I have not already photographed. In addition, I will insure the coins using a numismatic insurer (Hugh Wood, probably). That should cover all the bases.

a tip I learned from someone else is that you should keep your main collection in a hidden heavy-duty safe and put a couple hundred dollars of unimportant coins (ASEs, modern proofs, etc.) in a cheap Sentry Safe. It will act as a decoy if put in an obvious location.

4. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Hopefully not related to Ed Wood.:D

Paul M. likes this.
  5. -jeffB

I'm sure Ed is in talks to acquire Hugh's business as a subsidiary, but he hasn't mentioned it here because he left his iPad on the private jet.

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  6. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

When I was actively collecting, I kept the coins a home. Now that I am more a coin-lurker than a collector, I keep them in a large SDB, along with Large Desiccants AND Hugh Wood Insurance. In addition, they are all slabbed coins, and also inside hard plastic TPG grading boxes.

I visit them every 3 months or so, as I have other documents and things in there, so there is usually a reason anyhow.

Of course this is not 100% safe, but it's the best compromise on affordability, ease, long-term stability, and peace of mind, that I've come up with.

I have specific, first hand knowledge of Banks and SDB keys. If you think they need your key to get open them, I am afraid to tell you it's not true. Your copy of the SDB key is not laying around, and normal employees can't just go shopping through the SDB, but it's still something worth knowing so you can make an informed decision. I have mentioned this story here on CT before.

Also, I've had instances where the bank allowed the wrong person to sign into and out of my box, meaning, they didn't get the signature even remotely correct, obviously not the name, and not even the correct gender! Well, that customer didn't have my key, so they didn't get into my box, but the point being, these low level bank employees aren't really looking at all, and their position has high turnover. I know more about their procedures and keys then they do, and often have to help them to get into my box!

So, if someone borrows your copy of the key (steals it from you), or a higher level person at the bank decides to steal/copy their copy of your key, and give it to a third party, well you are pretty much screwed. They waltz in with your key, sign in on your SDB card, and waltz out with your stuff.

Of course, there is probably video of the person in the lobby, but since there is not video in most vaults, how do you prove they went into your box? How long does it take you to notice? Will the bank even help you work with the police? Or will they point to the fine print?

Knowing all of this, I still keep my stuff at the bank, because it's still far better than my home.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
  7. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Personally I don’t trust banks though I have to keep the majority of my money there for business purposes since so many people pay via check or card. My coins I keep in my safe. Especially if the manure ever hits the fan and I need to grab some stuff and go fast and gold and silver guns ammo and food and water will be commodities be it civil war disease outbreak nuclear war or zombie apocalypse

rte likes this.
  8. calcol

calcol Supporter! Supporter

Hmmm .... Gives me an idea. I tinker with electronics. Could put a small project box with a lever switch, time-delay circuit, and loud battery-powered alarm in the SDB. When SDB lid is opened, there would 5 seconds to disable alarm with key switch or DIP switch combo before it goes off. If anyone is interested, I could post a circuit design.

I don't feel the need at my bank. It's a small branch of a very large system. But the employee turnover is small, they know me, and still check ID every time I access my SDB.

Cal

9. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

Definitely interested. Please post or PM. Thanks.

I've only done basic projects with Arduino where the steps are all laid out for you, but I loved it.

10. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

In my SDB, laying on top I have printed in GIGANTIC words my contact info, and subsequent contact info in case I kicked the can. And the stuff in envelopes also have imprinted in BIG letters who owns it.

Just in case someone else opens it and wonders ...

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  11. calcol

OK. Here you go. A time-delay alarm for a safe deposit box.

There are two circuit and one parts diagrams below. Circuit 1 is a little simpler and a little cheaper. The difference is that the alarm in Circuit 1 can be turned off either with the key switch or by pressing the lever of the lever switch (aka leaf switch) back to its down position, whereas the alarm in Circuit 2 can be turned off only with the key switch. With Circuit 1, a quick thinking thief might press the lever switch to shut-off the alarm. That won't work with Circuit 2. Chances are that when the alarm goes off, the reaction of a non-bank-employee thief will be to exit the bank ASAP. If the thief is a bank employee, their reaction will be a little harder to predict. A low level employee might run. A high level employee might try to bluff, saying they were doing some kind of test.

There is a choice of low DC voltages that might be used for power. Delay relays (or modules) and buzzers can be found for 3, 5, 6, 9, 12 and 24 VDC. However, 12 VDC delay relays and buzzers are the most commonly available. You will want an on-delay (not off-delay) type. 12 V alkaline or lithium batteries are available or a 9 V and two 1.5 V batteries can be used in series. Leakage is rarely a problem with 9 V batteries; not so with 1.5 V alkalines. I recommend putting a baggie over the 1.5 volt batteries, and have had best luck with Energizer brand.

The least expensive place to buy time delay relays for a project like this is eBay. Search would be something like "time delay relay 12V". Be sure it's 12VDC, not AC, that it is delay-on, not delay-off. Some relays can go either way though. Most of the time delay relays in this search will be SPDT, which is OK for Circuit 1. For circuit 2, the search should be "time delay relay DPDT 12V". You'll want a delay time in the 5-10 second range. You can also buy time delay relays from suppliers like Digikey, Mouser, Allied, and Newark, but will pay more. 12 VDC buzzers are widely available; be sure to get a loud one. And be sure to make vent holes in the project box for the sound to get out.

The most elegant way to mount the leaf switch is inside the project box with a slot on top for the leaf, but mounting it on the side of the project box will work too.

The alarm device should be duct-taped to the inside wall of the SDB high enough that the lid of the SDB will press the lever switch down far enough for it to be electrically open. This will prevent it from flopping over when the box is handled and setting off a false alarm. It will also prevent a thief from taking it out of the SDB and stomping it. Don't tape over the vent holes in the project box. Do not depend on the duct tape to hold the device off the bottom of SDB though. Put an appropriately sized wood block under the project box, and tape the wood block to the SDB wall too.

I recommend putting a key for the key switch in an unmarked envelope in the SDB near the device. That should lessen the chance of an embarrassing false alarm if you open the box but don't have a key handy.

Cal
    circuit_1.jpg
    circuit_2.jpg
    IMG_0423d.JPG

-jeffB likes this.
  12. calcol

One additional thing has occurred to me since posting is to say how to arm the alarm without setting it off. You'll need a stiff piece of thin cardboard or plastic (an index card or playing card should work well) ... we'll call it a shim. When you're ready to close the lid of the SDB, hold the lever of the lever switch down with the shim (and hold the shim outside the SDB). Turn the key switch on. Close the SDB lid. Pull the shim out.

Cal

13. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

Try taking that into a bank and see if they don't freak out...

Kentucky likes this.
  14. calcol

They won't know unless you show it to them ... unless it goes off, of course. :oops:
    Cal

15. rte

rte Well-Known Member

I can see it now, banks on lockdown and the bomb squad is in route as one of the boxes on the wall of boxes is emitting a siren sound.

geekpryde and jafo50 like this.
  16. ja59

ja59 Missing the Beach just not as much as ...

Reality Check ! I believe it all.

17. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

:D Yup. I'm sure after lots of explaining they would think it was clever and funny.
    But it would take a long time to explain it to the Feds and bank, and you would probably age about 10 years in the days it would take to sort it all out. Not worth it for your health, IMHO. Clever design though.

But people do store lots of strange stuff in SDB. I think *smell* is what they usually get tipped off by, to call you in / question you, open it, and cancel your box. I've heard that a few times, so I believe that's the number one cause, but I will ask them next time I'm in.

Let that sink in, not acting weird, or wires, or beeps... Smell. People are so weird..... :stinkyfeet:

18. John Skelton

John Skelton Morgan man!

I guess I'll be checking my SDB to see if everything is still there. No coins in it, and the credit union is a national one. I haven't checked it for several years, but I doubt anyone would be interested in my marriage license.

19. Jtg61

Jtg61 New Member

Good luck getting the contents of your safe deposit box when the SHTF. Bank holidays, bank runs, bail ins, insolvency, FDIC takeovers, government confiscation like 1933. I'll take my chances with my stash hidden.

20. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

21. -jeffB

I don't know of any US bank holidays since 1933, but I've known plenty of people born around that time who lost their mobility, their memory, and their ability to communicate. :(

I'm liquidating a small hoard of coins for a friend whose father culled silver and "older coins" out of his vending-machine business and stuffed them into tobacco cans. We think he put a lot more of those cans into the walls of his house. That house stands abandoned now, far enough away (and sold enough times) that my friend has no access to it.

A local pawnshop suddenly had quite a lot of Morgan and Peace dollars, all circulated common dates. The customer who brought them in was a renovator. He found them hidden in a house he'd bought to rehabilitate and flip.

But, hey, you're doing a great service for future metal-detector enthusiasts, I guess...

Draft saved Draft deleted