Sacramento collectors

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Hazmatt, Oct 24, 2019.

1. Hazmatt

Hazmatt Active Member

Are there any collectors in Sacramento, Calif that would be interested in helping me get education on my coins? If so please start a chat with me I would really appreciate it, thank you

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Colby J.

Colby J. Well-Known Member

I'd be glad help you, I have a vast knowledge in US and ancient coins... as well as Germany coins. And I have taught others in the past the same way my Grandpa taught me a long time ago. But my my coin shop is up in Red Bluff... a little higher than you, so I can only help you via this website. I'd be happy to help if you're interested; you can learn everything about US coins in about two days. Memorize the varieties in about a week. Ancient coins are a bit tougher...Those took me a year just to get a grasp on Ancient Rome.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
  4. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I'm sure you don't believe that.

enamel7 and longshot like this.
  5. Colby J.

You know it's true. I learned denominations, metal, history, and high priced examples on my first day. The other stuff will come if youre passionate for numismatics.

6. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

o_O

This reminds me of something I read recently.

7. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Well, that explains some of your previous responses to new collectors questions :banghead:

8. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

I lived in Sac. years ago. You should buy a Red Book and read it through, then ask questions here.

9. Colby J.

h
    Honestly I'm a bit rusty.. I'll tell you that. Thats no excuse: sure I've been wrong in the past about small things but my goal in the end is merely to be an effective member of Numismatics.

10. calcol

calcol Supporter! Supporter

So, you're 19 years old, are an expert on US, German and ancient coins, and received a numismatic education long ago. In addition, you own a coin shop in Red Bluff. Have I got it all correct? Cal

11. calcol

calcol Supporter! Supporter

Try attending some meetings of the Sacramento Valley Coin Club. Their website is sacvalcc.org . Great bunch of folks. Cal

12. Colby J.

Not an expert...Don't put words in my mouth. And I inherited the coin shop from my Grandfather who died in 2004. The store is currently being run by a trusted manager until I finish college and take over the business.
    I did, however, receive all my Grandfathers legibility and respect in the coin community. In fact, one of his long time partners just visited us and taught me a lot of what my Grandfather taught him. I feel as if I am a professional at buying and selling works of Numismatics, but an expert: that comes with age my friend. Thanks for sharing though.

And some more extra info; though you might not care:
    -I have been collecting coins since I was eight
    -When I was fourteen I started writing a book on Roman Coins
    -I have self taught myself the aspects of business and am currently majoring in foundations of buisness
    -I currently have made over $30,000 in the stock market (investing in NVIDIA, BYND, and CMG) which I wish wish use to enhance the shop
    -I have been offered multiple jobs at coin shops and online stores (this is when I was almost 15) because of my knowledge in US coins
    -I am friends with multiple dealers who trade, buy, and sell with my online store

Again, you probably don't care about my bragging: but I am pretty much a respectable Numismatist in my community considering my age.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
  13. Soda Ant

Soda Ant Senior Member

I think it might just be an age thing, but you do come across as someone who's a legend in their own mind.

14. TyCobb

TyCobb A product of PMD

15. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

Tomaska is also a MIS-LEADING self-proclaimed coin expert...with about 45 yrs experience.

16. Colby J.

who's tomaska?

17. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

It's pretty easy to tell a member's numismatic knowledge by their posts. There is nothing wrong with being a novice and many experienced collectors would love to help you learn. HOWEVER, trying to portray yourself as an expert when all of your posts say otherwise will do nothing but alienate you from the group

Forums like this are a great resource for younger collectors. Choice is yours. Use it to learn or keep trying to pretend

18. Erik Pierce

Erik Pierce Member

I have to believe the 4th specimen has been found whooooo

Attached Files:

19. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Anyone that thinks they can learn everything in two days is dreaming. It can't be done in a lifetime.

Heavymetal likes this.
  20. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

No. Keep searching.

Heavymetal likes this.
  21. Hazmatt

Hazmatt Active Member

Okay thank you

Draft saved Draft deleted