Sacagawea

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by DelaneyRon, Jul 14, 2019.

?

Is it anything special

1. How can I educate miself?

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. And if in the wrong forum I apologize.. Still learning the pages

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. DelaneyRon

DelaneyRon New Member

I know nothing about coins.. I habe a 2000 sacawagea . on eBay one has asking price of 19.000..
    Looking at those pics and my coin I don't know what the differnce is..

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

$1

There are a small # (5,000 out of 210 million IIRC) that were minted for a special promotion, in order to meet deadlines, they used a proof die to make uncirculated coins, packaged them specially and put them in cereal boxes - so they're called "Cheerios dollars"

Best web site is http://www.smalldollars.com/

http://www.smalldollars.com/dollar/page20c.html

Your coin is NOT one of them.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  4. TexAg

TexAg Well-Known Member

Hello & welcome to CoinTalk! Buy a Red Book to learn about mintages, metal composition, and some varieties/errors. Do not use the Red Book necessarily for prices. Bring your questions here and ask for opinions. But, this is very important - take good, focused, zoomed in, cropped, and properly rotated pictures of obverse and reverse of your coin. And, try and be as specific as you can as to what it is you are curious about on your particular coin. Do a little research first if you can by Googling the coin in question. Likely, Google will take you to some of the resources you will be referred to here on CT. Having said all that, welcome!

Inspector43 likes this.
  5. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Hi Ron, The only Sac's that have any value presently are the 2000 P "Goodacre" coin and the 2000 D special presentation coin. I do not have any prices for any above MS65. The Goodacre is currently around $575.00 in MS65 and the 2000 D "Presentation" piece around $50.00 in MS65, both, give or take depending on whatever you could buy one for. The Goodacre were slabbed and autographed. Perhaps someone else has an insider's advantage to population reports from NGC and PCGS and could guide you further.

6. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

We all posted close to each other and yes, I forgot about the "Cheerios" dollar.

7. Burton Strauss III

Ms Goodacre took her $5,000 payment for the design in coins. She had many of them slabbed by icg and over the years a number were sold. A large chunk of them ended up in a promoter's hands who had them reslabbed by PCGS. I think small dollars has an article on them too.

tommyc03 likes this.
  8. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

And keep in mind too. There are folks on some of these auction sites asking all manner of absurd prices for common coins. It’s an awful practice that gives a black eye to a good hobby.

Autoturf, paddyman98 and tommyc03 like this.
  9. Autoturf

Autoturf Well-Known Member

all above info is good, All of the coins provided to Glenna Goodacre as payment had been specially burnished and treated with an antioxidant. The coins were clearly different in appearance than untreated coins issued for general circulation. The surfaces of the coin were highly reflective and proof like in appearance, and the cheerios dollar has highly detailed tail feathers, however there is a lot more native American dollars of value in presidential series and later years, reverse proofs, enhanced coins. some low mintage coins not distributed for general circulation.

"Goodacre Presentation”. were all presented to ICG for encapsulation by the owner, they were numbered .At the ANA 2000 World’s Fair of Money held in Philadelphia, a total of 3,000 of the coins were sold to collectors for $200 each, later collectors had some crossed over to PCGS or NGC holders where they carried the same “Goodacre Presentation” designation, but also featured a numerical grade.
    There is also a millennium set Sacagawea
    2000-d-millenium-set-sacagawea-dollar-slab-230x300.jpg

But for the most part the 2000 ands and years close were struck in the billions if added together and are worth 1 $ ea circulated. Like Randy said, some idiots/ people think someone is going to pay more for a common dollar and try to rip the unknowing consumer off.

10. Autoturf

Copied most of that but im working on the presidential series, and newer ones still. less expensive to buy the whole mint and proof sets most of the time.

IMG_20190714_163201436.jpg IMG_20190714_163459840.jpg

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
  11. Burton Strauss III

That was my best cherry-pick ever, I bought one of the icg presentation pieces for 10 bucks from a dealer's unsorted box. Sold it on to a dealer friend for like 375 and he sold it on fleabay for 465.

tommyc03 and Autoturf like this.
  12. Autoturf

Sweet, wish I could come across a deal like that lol.

13. Autoturf

I can tell you guys one thing, I thought putting a set of native American dollars was going to be cheap and easy, Not so much of either. ways to go.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  14. Autoturf

More history behind the coin, and Lewis and Clark. Sacagawea's name means "Bird woman and or Boat puller"
    sacagawea-statue-idahojpg.jpg

Sacagawea, the daughter of a Shoshone chief, was born circa 1788 in Lemhi County, Idaho. At around age 12, she was captured by an enemy tribe and sold to a French-Canadian trapper who made her his wife. In November 1804, she was invited to join the Lewis and Clark expedition as a Shoshone interpreter

https://www.biography.com/explorer/sacagawea

15. Burton Strauss III

You can do it as simply and as inexpensively as you want... It's your set you make the rules if you only want to have the regularyears in dates then make it that way and it's relatively inexpensive. Sure, chasing all of the weird varieties is going to be much harder...

16. Autoturf

I would not tell anyone how to collect, not sure what your point is.

17. TexAg

TexAg Well-Known Member

I have found nice specimens of all of the Sacagawea/Native American Dollars (P&D) except for 2006-D & 2008-P from CRH. I bought the 2018-P&D as BU from a dealer friend because he had them cheap. It is a lot of work, but the nice thing - I was able to nearly complete my Presidential P&D series in the process. All I lack is the Denver Nixon Dollar. I should buy another box of small dollars and try and complete them!

Autoturf likes this.
  18. DelaneyRon

DelaneyRon New Member

LOL never thought my coin was of value..
    Just making the point being a novice .. I don't know the intricacies of how to tell the difference

19. Autoturf

its not, we just like talking about coins. lol Me.

20. Sainte23

Sainte23 New Member

I have 2000 d

21. Beardigger

Beardigger Well-Known Member

When you go to a small store (7-11 /Racetrack) Ask them if they have any dollar coins. More often then not they are happy to sell them to you. I get a lot of SBA/ SAC's and Presidential that way. Also ask your bank teller, they usually have bunches of them they will be glad to sell you.

Draft saved Draft deleted