S over D error?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Spencercoles, Nov 4, 2021.

1. Spencercoles

Spencercoles New Member

I found this 1954 S Nickel in my fathers collection after he passed away. I am fairly new to coin collecting, but this looks like it could be an error to me.

Sorry the enlarged image isn’t great, but if you look closely at the mint mark there appears to be a D underneath it. What do you pros think?

Also, what do you guys recommend for viewing coins up close in detail?

098ED3CB-4095-45DE-9574-15D8BADB47E4.jpeg 49977729-F677-4A20-A7DB-52C904C0F49A.jpeg AFFE1B1C-0095-4C07-942D-EE069084424E.png

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Hello and welcome ! :)
    I'm going with die chip .but I could be wrong .

Spencercoles and Spark1951 like this.
  4. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Spencercoles, Spark1951 and JPD3 like this.
  5. JPD3

JPD3 Well-Known Member

Spencercoles likes this.
  6. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

It might be a die chip and it might be the way it reflects the light. I doubt it’s the S/D variety. In the over mint mark Variety the bottom of the D shows best below the S. That is completely lacking in yours.

Welcome to CT.

7. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

You are gonna have to adjust the white balance, or take a better photo without so much light Spencer.
    The area within the S is a die chip. A MM that strong would show other parts of the D. This also doesn't seem to match other S/S variety's either. Clearer photos of the MM would help.

JPD3 likes this.
  8. Spencercoles

Spencercoles New Member

Thank you for the great replies! Any advice for how to get a better pic of the mint mark? What tools do you guys recommend for viewing details like this up close and capturing a picture of it? I have hundreds of coins to go through still so I would like to purchase something decent.

9. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

If that were a "D" under the "S", it looks like the font would be about three-fourths the size of the "S". Think about it!

paddyman98 likes this.
  10. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Die chips. No S/D, IMO. Jim

paddyman98 likes this.
  11. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Supporter! Supporter

Welcome to CT @Spencercoles. Sounds like Dad (sorry for your loss) left you some coins so we are looking forward to you sharing more. I can't add anything to this coin, so I'll just thank you for posting photos Full Image. Good luck.

JPD3 likes this.
  12. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

@Spencercoles …many members here argue you don’t need more than a 10x jewelers loupe (magnification power = 10 times normal size) to see all. But, some of us prefer some help because of eyesight.

Personally I use a 3x4x5x combo loupe, which mag-wise ends up additive for 12x using all 3 at once. But I also use a usb microscope for extreme magnification and for producing pictures to post here. If you go the usb scope path, be sure to get one that has 3 megapixels or better. This eliminates pixelation at extreme magnification and this stronger view allows easier confirmation of die markers.

I am sure some of the newer phones may have outstanding cameras now, too. Just research and decide what is best for you…Spark

Spencercoles likes this.
  13. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Die chip if you like some more I have a uncirculated roll of them....the S/D is very recognizable. 1954SOMM001ad.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted