S over a horizontal D Mint mark ?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Coin Addict 2018, Jul 16, 2018.

1. At first I thought that my mind was playing tricks on me but then when I took a closer look with my microscope it actually looks like there is a letter S is over a horizontal D Mint mark ... Is that possible because I've never seen this before ?
    IMG_20180716_043847.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Or could this be something else that is attaching the tail of the S to the back of the curve on the S ???

4. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Linear plating bubble

5. Kentucky I will agree with alot of things here but Im 150% certain that I'm not looking at a linear plating bubble that's attaching the tail of the S to the curve so let's look a bit further and a bit deeper to find the actual cause ... Because it looks like a S over a D or a S over something else I'm not certain what yet but I do intend to find out

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
  6. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

What year is it? Could also be a small die chip. If it were over a D, I think you would see more of the D. With my track record, wait for more opinions.

7. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Remember that if this was a cent that the mm was hand punched into the die, the mint mark punch can have a chip in it as well as one of the end product die. I do not think the shape or size of the extra bar is such it could be a different mint mark. IMO. Jim

8. Thanks ... Ofcourse there's probably going to be a number of different possibilities of what it could be and so that's the reason why I'm just trying to narrow the possibilities of what it really is before I sending it in . Because so far it's unlike any other S mint marks that I've seen

9. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

What’s that big black blob to the right?

10. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Did you check variety vista or Wexler's Doubled die site? They maintain the listings of known RPMs and OMMs

11. Yes i actually checked Lincoln center resource since the appear to have a very extensive list on RPMs and OMMs but I'll be sure to check them as well thanks .

12. desertgem

Here is my 1909-S/Horizontal S RPM-001.

09s3-1.JPG

09s1.JPG

Jim

13. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

If you truly believe there's a possibility of it being a S/D, perhaps you should do a photo overlay using the proper mintmark(s) for the date. If you make sure the overlay is properly sized, this could help you determine if you're chasing ghosts or not.

My guess is that it's not as hoped, but it's always better to chase down evidence than it is to engage in speculation. Good luck.

Kentucky and Oldhoopster like this.
  14. Well i don't think I'm chasing any ghost here booksb4coins im just trying to figure out whether the odd looking S has a OMM or if there is some other form of mint error there . But thanks for the helpful advice though . I'll be sure to see if anyone knows how to do an overlay with a computer since I'm not that good with computers myself ... and I'll leave all the guessing to all the mechanical doubling and bubbling expert's here ...

15. Oh and that overlay idea may be a good thing ... This is the closest example I could find so far that would explain why the tail of the S Would be flowing into the curve of the S like it's showing . But then again . Im only guessing . Lol
    Screenshot_20180717-004249.png

16. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

If you have access to Photoshop overlays are really quite easy. Unfortunately, I'm not sure if any of the similar free programs offer this ability or not, but would assume someone here could tell you.

Lots of people chase ghosts when it comes to questions like this, so please don't take it as an insult. That said, if you'd really like the board to try to assist you, knowing the date would make for a fine first step. :)

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  17. 1972 S is the date ... And I've took the liberty to take more images from different angles and I think I've finally narrowed the mystery down .... Here's a few more photos . And please disregard the green alien strain on the coin because it clearly needs cleaning . LOL
    IMG_20180717_184332.jpg
    IMG_20180717_184604.jpg
    IMG_20180717_184640.jpg
    IMG_20180717_183818~2.jpg
    P.s. And no offense taken ...

18. I've actually just finished looking on Variety Vista and Ken Potters variety's list and I haven't been able to find a match to this particular one yet ... So could this possibly be a newly discovered variety in the Doubled Die and OMM classes ?

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
  19. desertgem

IMO, no. The doubling on the lettering is very representative of MD, ad the last couple of photos indicate the same MD of the mint mark, the underlying one being flattened. This movement may have caused the copper to push a little in that direction. I have always like the mintmark antics of the S mint, and you will find more of that mint and range of 68-S - 73S than probably anyother mint. Jim

20. Thanks Jim ... I greatly appreciate and your opinion . However the reason I took the photos from different angels is to show that the doubling is raised and not flat especially the letter U in the word trust ... So are you saying that the letter U is flat MD as well ?

Draft saved Draft deleted